Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

WD1993
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2379

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by WD1993 »

The Harry Potter books made me cry at certain occasions and reading "The Fault in our Stars" by John Green as well.
Reading and writing, like everything else, improves with practice. - Margaret Atwood
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

I cried for about the last hundred pages of Clockwork Princess by Cassie Clare. Like ugly cry sobbing. It was quite the sight I assure you. My best friend and I were reading the series simultaneously from across the country and at it's end we just skyped for about thirty minutes about how sad we were but how beautiful the ending was. We are planning on getting matching Parabati tattoos the next time I go to visit him. That moved.
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
Livi-C
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livi-c.html

Post by Livi-C »

There is a whole list of books that have made me cry but the worst I cried was when I read a book about a girl the had a baby at she put it in the dumpster at the beginning of the book.

-- 15 Sep 2014, 21:00 --

There is a whole list of books that have made me cry but the worst I cried was when I read a book about a girl the had a baby at she put it in the dumpster at the beginning of the book.

-- 15 Sep 2014, 21:01 --

-- 15 Sep 2014, 21:01 --

kaleykutie123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaleykutie123.html

Post by kaleykutie123 »

The book that made me cry that I read recently would be "The Fault In Our Stars."

-- 15 Sep 2014, 22:22 --
Rkanatza
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkanatza.html

Post by Rkanatza »

If you guys like biographies, Robin Roberts' book Everyone's Got Something made me cry like a baby on an airplane!

It's so good though.
jlp 6

Post by jlp 6 »

The Book of Revelation 3:20

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. "

I read that on time and out of nowhere I started to tear up.
NotEvenClose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-notevenclose.html

Post by NotEvenClose »

atrixa wrote:God, just remembered a really obvious one- The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffinegger. I wept for days...

Me too!!!

I've heard The Fault In Ours Stars by John Green is even more tearful.
I haven't read it yet and not sure I want to, I'm not in the mood to cry ... yet.

Oh and A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer was heart wrenching, my [2] daughters and I read it one after the other and we will never forget those few days.
On a side note I recommend all mothers let their 12~ish year olds read this book... I was over appreciated for months afterwards!

autumnbharris

Post by autumnbharris »

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Night by Elie Wiesel
thuhuong
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuhuong.html

Post by thuhuong »

Hello to everyone!

New to the club and for me the classics have made me cry such as:

* Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy - following through with his situation as he endured how society viewed his marriage to his cousin and eventually the loss of his children.
* The Awakening by Kate Chopin - Edna drowning herself
* Diary of Anne Frank - such a loss to a free spirit
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I cry ALL THE TIME.
Two young lovers accidentally touch hands = TEARS.
My most recent cry was from this free book I got called Rumors (Lingering Echoes 0.5), and I just bawled like a baby because I could totally relate to the lead character and her situation (someone close to her died and she felt responsible), unlike the other jerks in the story who were so insensitive.
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

The book that has really made me cry in recent months is A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It's truly heartbreaking in parts.
Mollancholy

Post by Mollancholy »

I'm definitely right there with everyone who cried reading "The Fault in Our Stars."

I also cried A LOT (and still do, actually) while reading the Potter series, particularly "Order of the Phoenix" and "The Deathly Hallows." There's also a book by Judy Blume called "Summer Sisters" that turned me into a human water fountain the first time I read it. And one of my favorite children's books, "The Floating Island," has a single passage in it that makes me cry whenever I so much as think about it.
Angelica_92

Post by Angelica_92 »

The very first one would be Paula, by Isabel Allende, and recently, The Kite Runner.
SusanE
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susane.html

Post by SusanE »

The ones I can think of right off the top of my head are:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Fault in our Stars
The Vampire Diaries
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

Too many to mention ;)
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”