Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

Bookl0ver657
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookl0ver657.html

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Bookl0ver657 »

Tell us what books have had you bawling like a baby. For me, the only one i can think of is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

I can think of three books that have made me cry. The first one was "Black Beauty". I'm a huge horse lover. So, naturally what that horse had to go through to get his happy ending did make me cry. The second book is The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks. Sparks has a way of making his love stories truthful when it comes to romance and love. You never know when one of his books will end happy or bittersweet.

The third book that made me bawl like a baby was The Last Hunt by Bruce Coville. I read his unicorn chronicle series when I was in middle school and then read them to my sister when she was little. I never knew if he was going to finish the series, but Dark Whispers and Last Hunt finally were released when I was in college. So, I waited for the last two books to come to the library and when I was finished with the Last Hunt, I bawled. Sometimes authors can lose their spark when they write the final books in a series, but Bruce Coville did not. In fact, he blew me away with his ending! I cried tears of sadness and happiness. I loved that book immensely! If you enjoy fantasy and haven't read Coville's "Unicorn Chronicles", do it! You may find a new favorite. ;)
lomeligrl32
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by lomeligrl32 »

The one book that stands out in my mind as making me cry would be 'Heaven is for Real' by Todd Burpo. I think what really made me cry was that I couldn't imagine being a part of that situation. If my child was to have a near-death experience and come back talking about things he couldn't even imagine by himself about heaven...I wouldn't know what to do. I would be stunned out of my mind. Awesome book!
KellyDunn_12608
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KellyDunn_12608 »

Years ago, I went through this Lurlene McDaniels phase and I read all of her books in a couple months time, which, back then was a huge deal for me. I cried like a baby reading her book, Somewhere Between Life and Death. It was such a heartbreakingly tragic story and had left such a strong impact on my youthful brain that I still remember in stark detail everything that happened. And, although the book made me cry the entire time I read it, I would definitely recommend reading this book.
mtnhicks
Favorite Author: Stieg Larsson
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5837">City of Thieves</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2626
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtnhicks.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2552

Post by mtnhicks »

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.
It began to feel like Groundhog day, but then she began to learn from each life. Some of the things she faced were really upsetting. She learned if she "fixed" one thing another would be lost. It's a book I plan to read again, when I'm ready for another good cry.
kendrashea
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendrashea.html

Post by kendrashea »

I have three books that have made me cry
Heaven is for real
fault in our stars
Harry potter and the deathly hollows
Kels_89

Post by Kels_89 »

Maybe this is sort of strange, but I tend to tear up a bit at the end of most books...whether or not it's a "sad" ending. It's more from an attachment I develop for the characters that I don't want to let go.

But, more recently I read the book Room by Emma Donoghue, which was heart-breaking in its perspective of a five year old boy who was born into Room and knew nothing of the outside world.
sneal618

Post by sneal618 »

I am super sensitive so I cry throughout most books. I see someone mentioned Lurlene McDaniel. I read those books in high school and bawled like a baby to every single one! Jodi Picoult ' s 'My sister's keeper' was another one I can list of the top of my head. Sometimes you just need a good cry!
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

I don't think I've ever cried at a book or movie. I wish I could, because some books and movies have made me feel really hollow inside and very moved, but some part of me always stands apart as being merely an interested reader and critic and only wants to turn the page.
The closest I've ever come to crying during a movie was with Ikigami: the Ultimate Limit.
The closest I've come to crying over a book-hard to say. Prisoner of Zenda gives me a lot of feelings, but it still leaves me without being completely empty. I think more short stories have made me sad than novels-they more often have sad endings.
SusieGee1978
Favorite Author: Darynda Jones
Favorite Book: The Charlie Davidson series
Currently Reading: Lawless by Matt Bondurant
fav_author_id: 5721

Post by SusieGee1978 »

I'm pretty sure I cry at some point during every book I read!! The last one was Banishment by T.M. Nielsen, I get so attached to characters in books, I end up weeping whenever something bad happens!! Or something good... or something really sweet... LOL! :)
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

The last book in the Everlong Series and Angel by Jamie Le Fay
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
ellemichele
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellemichele.html

Post by ellemichele »

I'm a very emotional reader. I believe the two books that have made me cry the most are The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks and The Fault in our Stars by John Green. Good daddy/daughter stories and stories about love overcoming obstacles get me every time.
abijane115
Currently Reading: Combative
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by abijane115 »

I still remember the first time that I have ever cried while reading, it was late and everyone were already asleep thank goodness or else it would've been embarrassing since I'm not very emotional. But I had tears running down my cheeks as I read Hopeless by Collen Hoover. It was beautifully written, emotionally intense and heart wrenching, a must read.
There is beauty to be found in every moment.
victoria_palacios
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-palacios.html

Post by victoria_palacios »

Any Nicholas Sparks book really.
IanneBre

Post by IanneBre »

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and others that I forgot already.
muggle

Post by muggle »

Wish You Well by David Baldacci.

This book made me cry, made me laugh, made me sad, and made me happy. It took me through all the emotions. Good book by David Baldacci and Baldacci named his "Foundation" after this book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”