Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

pineapplechen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pineapplechen »

which book really hit me was "the boy in the striped pyjamas" by john boyne. You see the whole holocaust incident from the point of view of a little boy. His whole naivity and friendship to one of the concentration camp prisoner makes the end so much worse.
DreamSE22

Post by DreamSE22 »

But the most recent book I read that made me cry was The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Since the book's narrator is Death, it was pretty intense at times!
sunnyyuan

Post by sunnyyuan »

In fact, recently I just finished reading a book which make me feel great interesting, it's Joni Davis & Lisa Hyatt's book Feng Shui Love, most women readers will like it. The stories have made me cry last year are Funeral of The Muslims, and A Thousand Splendid Sun.
Red Baron

Post by Red Baron »

The Kite Runner - I cried from about half way through the book and cried continuously for 5 hours as I tried to finish it during the night (lloooooong night). I wanted so much to end my misery, yet the book was so wonderfully written I didn't want it to end. Bitter sweet. I had to read really light - Janet Evanovich - after that as even looking at a book cover from the Middle East would make me sob. Footrot Flats was also good as a chaser....you definately need light and simple after a book like The Kite Runner. Haven't been game enough to watch the movie or read the author 's(whose name escapes me) second book. Definately worth the read, though. It touched/scared me - but in a good way. :D
kaipea

Post by kaipea »

The Bridge to Terabithia sent me to tears at the end... :cry:
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Hearts of Atlantis by King made me cry with boredom if that counts?

It got to the stage where i was flicking to see how many pages i had left to endure before the sweet end. That book was a huge mistake in my opinion.
JimRed

Post by JimRed »

Marley and Me definitely tugs at the heart strings.
Stinkin' Fascist
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones

Post by Stinkin' Fascist »

Marley and Me hit home like you wouldn't believe; for both my sister and I.

I've always had an extremely close relationship with my dogs, and Marley was just like the lab I had that got me through everything... I had to put her down for insanity...

And the baby thing that happened, my sister was that far along when she miscarried.

Aside from that, Tiger Rising by Kate Dicamillo made me well up for unexplainable reason.
JimRed

Post by JimRed »

Stinkin' Fascist wrote:Marley and Me hit home like you wouldn't believe; for both my sister and I.

I've always had an extremely close relationship with my dogs, and Marley was just like the lab I had that got me through everything... I had to put her down for insanity...

And the baby thing that happened, my sister was that far along when she miscarried.

Aside from that, Tiger Rising by Kate Dicamillo made me well up for unexplainable reason.
My family also owns a dog that we love very much and even though it isn't as destructive as Marley was, its still a goofball. It will be missed very much when it has to pass away.

The movie didn't make me cry for some reason, though..I don't know if its because I had already read the book or because it just didn't have the same emotional effect.
Stinkin' Fascist
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones

Post by Stinkin' Fascist »

The movie didn't make me cry for some reason, though..I don't know if its because I had already read the book or because it just didn't have the same emotional effect.
I'm not a very emotional person, but I just understood that connection that well, it was like watching some of my life play out.

I went through all that they did in the movie, so I just walked around the corner and took a breather.

I enjoyed it all the same though, I hated it for causing me to have emotion like that, but I thought it was played out well.

I didn't finish the book though, like 15pgs left,haha.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

DreamSE22 wrote:But the most recent book I read that made me cry was The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Since the book's narrator is Death, it was pretty intense at times!
Fabulous book but I cried buckets over it
Julius_Orange

Post by Julius_Orange »

I was finishing up The Road by Cormac McCarthy while on my lunch break (at a bookstore) and had to sit in the back of receiving behind a pallet because I couldn't help but shed tears over the last 15 pages. First time a book has made me shed tears.

I watched the movie online when I got home and got choked up at the beginning (another first) and the end. I'm a single father, so I guess that would explain it, but wow what an incredible book!
JimRed

Post by JimRed »

Julius_Orange wrote:I was finishing up The Road by Cormac McCarthy while on my lunch break (at a bookstore) and had to sit in the back of receiving behind a pallet because I couldn't help but shed tears over the last 15 pages. First time a book has made me shed tears.

I watched the movie online when I got home and got choked up at the beginning (another first) and the end. I'm a single father, so I guess that would explain it, but wow what an incredible book!
I've heard alot about this book recently, and people either love it or hate it. I'm trying to decide if I want to read it. Would you recommend I watch the movie first?
Julius_Orange

Post by Julius_Orange »

JimRed wrote:
Julius_Orange wrote:I was finishing up The Road by Cormac McCarthy while on my lunch break (at a bookstore) and had to sit in the back of receiving behind a pallet because I couldn't help but shed tears over the last 15 pages. First time a book has made me shed tears.

I've heard alot about this book recently, and people either love it or hate it. I'm trying to decide if I want to read it. Would you recommend I watch the movie first?
I read the book first and I would highly recommend you doing the same. I read the book in 2 sittings and I'm neither a slow nor fast reader. It made the movie better IMO.

The problem some people are having with it are:

- The writing style is quite different from the norm. McCarthy has said in one of his only interviews that he feels filling up a page with unnecessary marks is not important to the story. So there's very little punctuation, really only periods. No chapters, just breaks in the line to signify a new scene. It was difficult getting used to in the very beginning but he's consistent in how he transitions into thoughts and dialogue that you begin to pick up on it and it flows lyrically from there. He said he tries to write the way in which people tell a story, which after reading it to my son for an hour I completely understand now.

- Some critics have said the father isn't one of the "good guys", but it seems their view is even more bleak than the books and rather unrealistic to the situation.

- There are several themes and metaphors used throughout that not everybody is picking up on the first time they read it. Hopefully you see what I mean after you read it and read the discussions on these debated topics (example, the bunker and the ending).

- The book can be one hell of a downer.

Anyway, enough blabbing. Enjoy!
summ3r

Post by summ3r »

ok, I am *SO* glad that other people posted and admitted to crying over the Twilight series. Parts of it just kill me everytime but it's embarrassing to admit to even reading them, never mind crying over them!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”