Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

NoLeftTurn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NoLeftTurn »

Atonement by Ian McEwan

The revelation at the end made me cry.
Delph

Post by Delph »

atrixa wrote:God, just remembered a really obvious one- The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffinegger. I wept for days...
I really liked this book, I've listen the audio book, ut was read by a woman and a man, the reader were excellent and of course I cryed, which is annoying when you listen to the book in the car when driving to work. :wink:
But the one that made me cry the most is "The history of love" by Nicole Krauss. I don't think any book had touched me that way before, it is sad and beautyful at the same time. I even cryed later just by thinking of it.
Also 1000 splendid suns, PS I love you...
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I don't cry when I read, but Of Mice and Men always hits me hard. And the end of The Time Traveler's Wife left me feeling down for a few days. But I like books that inspire strong feelings.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

Most recent reads that had me weeping were "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger and "My Sister’s Keeper" by Jodi Picoult..ahh the tears they did roll. :cry: The movie "My Sister’s Keeper" had the same effect. I suspect this much from "The Time Traveler's Wife" too. Can't wait to see that.
texascat

Post by texascat »

I cry all the time while reading! Most of the Harry Potter books, The Book Thief, The Narnia chronicles to name a few off the top of my head.
Banana

Post by Banana »

Red, by Ted Dekker.

I can't believe I was thinking... then... *eye leaks*
anniizio

Post by anniizio »

i love it when a book could make you cry.. the first book that ever made me cry was Tears of a Tiger
ekomay3

Post by ekomay3 »

The first book that ever made me cry was More Than You Know by Beth Gutcheon.

I used to read books just here and there. After reading that book, and getting into it on such a deeper level, I started reading books on a daily basis. I guess you could say it opened my life to books. I don't even really remember what it was about because it was so long ago, so I should probably put it in my "to read" pile!
Hanabi

Post by Hanabi »

If you want a book to make you cry, read anything by Laurene McDaniel. Also Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult. It was really touching.
San1968

Post by San1968 »

texascat wrote:I cry all the time while reading! Most of the Harry Potter books, The Book Thief, The Narnia chronicles to name a few off the top of my head.
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was the first book that made me cry when I was about 8. Now I cry at most books. I cried this week when I finished "One Day" by David Nicholls
shadylady

Post by shadylady »

One of the books that has made me cry, and i mean bawl, sob loudly, not just tear, was April Fool's Day, by Bryce Courtney.
Although Jessica by Bryce Courtney also made me cry, tears of frustration and made me throw the book at the wall at the end!! I hate when books don't end the way I want them too!!
shadylady

Post by shadylady »

One of the books that has made me cry, and i mean bawl, sob loudly, not just tear, was April Fool's Day, by Bryce Courtney.
Although Jessica by Bryce Courtney also made me cry, tears of frustration and made me throw the book at the wall at the end!! I hate when books don't end the way I want them too!!
San1968

Post by San1968 »

I agree with Shadylady, I did the same with Cold Mountain, the end was not what I had slogged through the book for!!!
cascol

Post by cascol »

i would say "the diving bell and the butterfly" by jean-dominique bauby. i think i spent more time crying than i did reading the book
sweetharleygirl

Post by sweetharleygirl »

A few books have made me cry, and most movies too, I'm such a sap :roll: . The Bridges of Madison County is one and Dewy the Library Cat is another, I'm sure there's more I just can't think of them right now.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”