Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2778

Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Ealasaid »

I cried last night while reading By The Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder to my daughters. We came to the chapter when her old faithful bulldog Jack crossed the rainbow bridge, and I lost it.
Last edited by Ealasaid on 10 Apr 2015, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
KingOfTheAce
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingoftheace.html

Post by KingOfTheAce »

I had to let a tear go when reading Dehli Yarns and The Royal Ranger, both books maneging to touch that nerve to let that tear go :shock: !
Rabidwerewolfie
Favorite Author: Kirstin Bakis
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rabidwerewolfie »

A LOT of books have made me cry, but two come to mind immediately.
Lives of the Monster Dogs by Kirstin Bakis - I don't know WHY this book resonates with me so deeply, but it does. And it makes me bawl like a hungry baby every time I read it. The slow overtake of the madness and the struggle to stop it, the loss of the monster dogs, their terrible legacy... It's such a sad book but I love it so much.

And the other one, believe it or not, is Cujo. But not at the loss of the little boy, that didn't actually bother me that much. (Don't I suddenly sound like a monster myself) Instead, it was the VERY last paragraph that King threw in there, likely as nothing more than an afterthought talking about how Cujo always tried to be such a good boy and it wasn't his fault that the disease made him do all those terrible things and- Hm,... I suddenly see a pattern here.
He would have followed her to hell itself if she'd ever taken mind to go there. - Angel of the Abyss (Wolfcaller Chronicles)
apanxx
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apanxx.html

Post by apanxx »

There are so so many it's hard to even remember them all, but a post i just wrote earlier reminded me: The last book in the Hunger Game series.

SPOILER-highlight to read
I was heartbroken when Prim died. I remember, throughout the whole day people'd be asking me whether i was okay and I'd reply with 'of course I'm not. Prim died.' and start wailing
Hclaxton
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hclaxton.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Hclaxton »

My list of books that have made me cry could go on forever, I swear I cry more in books than I do in movies! The fault in our stars (this doesn't even count as crying it was like a water pipe burst from my eyeballs) , Me before you, all of the Nicholas Sparks books, Lucky... and probably many more that I can't think of at the moment. This is a very good thing, it can only mean that we are truly invested in our books...or that we have emotional problems, you pick:)
Rabidwerewolfie
Favorite Author: Kirstin Bakis
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rabidwerewolfie »

Hclaxton wrote: This is a very good thing, it can only mean that we are truly invested in our books...or that we have emotional problems, you pick:)
This line just made me laugh.
He would have followed her to hell itself if she'd ever taken mind to go there. - Angel of the Abyss (Wolfcaller Chronicles)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

HA HA! It made me laugh too.
JenntheObscure
Currently Reading: Back To You
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenntheobscure.html

Post by JenntheObscure »

I first have to admit that I cry when anybody shows even a little emotion. I even cried during "Encino Man" (Yes, that Pauly Shore movie. I was just so sad when they were all fighting in the street!). So I don't know how impressive my list will be. My daughter has had to read quite a few depressing books for school and I always end up blubbering through them with her. The latest books were...Mick Harte was Here, Sounder and Stone Fox. Talk about a depressing reading list! The last adult book I cried over was Tell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt.
KingOfTheAce
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingoftheace.html

Post by KingOfTheAce »

Rabidwerewolfie wrote:
Hclaxton wrote: This is a very good thing, it can only mean that we are truly invested in our books...or that we have emotional problems, you pick:)
This line just made me laugh.
What problems? :wink:
heathersusanne
Favorite Author: JD Salinger
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heathersusanne.html
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by heathersusanne »

The last book that I remember made me cry, literally shed tears, was The Fault in our Stars by John Green. What was most memorial about that book though were the unexpected moments of humor, where I still have tears in my eyes but I'm laughing out loud. I was really impressed with the raw emotion of the book.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

The hardest I ever cried when reading a book is when I was reading a book called The Seat Beside Me by Nancy Moser. It was an amazing book, but a definite tear jerker. I have cried many times during Nicholas Sparks novels. Most recently though, I have came close to tears while I was reading Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, which I am still reading. It is just heartbreaking what the main character of that novel has to go through.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

I pretty much always tear up when reading a Nicholas Sparks' book. I think he does that on purpose.
JenntheObscure wrote: I even cried during "Encino Man" (Yes, that Pauly Shore movie. I was just so sad when they were all fighting in the street!).
Now I am having serious 90's flashbacks.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

Only two books made me cry, "A Walk To remember" by Nicholas Sparks and "Allegiant" by Veronica Roth. For the latter I cried like I lost someone I knew personally...well...isn't it considered knowing the characters personally if you've known them for three books? I read more than 10 chapters in one sitting (never did it before) and been crying the whole time! The books that make me cry immediately become favorites for me, lol, it's like this book had the ability to affect me physically so it's AWESOME it has to become a favorite, you know, lol!
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
thebookworm07
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by thebookworm07 »

So many books have made me want to bawl in public, but the most recent ones would be The Secret Life of Bees and The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.
rarediamond
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rarediamond »

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”