Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2778

amena25393
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amena25393.html

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by amena25393 »

HP series and The Help
Ajayb8ker

Post by Ajayb8ker »

I remember the first book that made my cry; I was ten years old and the book was Summer of my German Soldier. It was the first book that made the characters feel like friends. But no book has made me cry like Marley and Me! I hugged my dog as I read the last hundred pages.
Tekguardian151_+48
Currently Reading: The Tar Man
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tekguardian151-48.html

Post by Tekguardian151_+48 »

In truth, I have never cried whilst reading a book. However, there have been times when reading where certain characters and scenes have almost brought me to tears, triggering emotions I thought would never be opened. That was certainly the case for me when reading David Gaider's 'Dragon Age: The Calling'. WARNING SPOILERS ALERT.

Whilst the party are venturing further into the cursed labyrinthine passages known as The Deep Roads, they encounter a daemon who- using it's magical abilities- causes them to lose consciousness and travel to another dimension called The Fade: a dream world where adventurers find themselves compelled to battle their past calamities. As protagonist King Maric awakens, he finds himself torn between staying in The Fade with his former Elven lover Katriel and leaving it to save the other adventure party members. Katriel betrays Maric in 'DATC's' prequel, 'Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne' leaving him humiliated, enraged and bereaved at the very thought that his Elven lover was in fact a spy for the tyrannical Orlesian usurper Meghren. After much struggle, Maric ultimately decides to leave the imagined Katriel to save his friends, but when he meets them, he finds that they similarly are trapped in their own history.

Gaider's ability to bring each character out of their shell with the use of the paradoxical Fade serves as both a turning point in the story and nigh magically causes us to sympathise with each and every one, including those we perhaps disliked at the beginning. It was the first time I personally had ever witnessed the likes of this occurring in something considerably small and domestic as a fantasy adventure party.
r_ivette3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-ivette3.html

Post by r_ivette3 »

Rain Reign Ann M. Martin

Such an inspiring book that provides a different perspective of a child with disabilities. The ending was sad and yet comforting all at once.
huntaking
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huntaking.html

Post by huntaking »

Hope you can provide me with some of the darker occult aspects that will make me cry.
Gina16

Post by Gina16 »

The last book that had my crying was The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks, but if there is a really sad or happy part in a book I usually shed a few tears.
glamorous_sloth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glamorous-sloth.html

Post by glamorous_sloth »

Pretty much anything written by Khaled Hosseini!
IntrovertedSoul

Post by IntrovertedSoul »

The Fault in our Stars by John Green.
No matter how many times I've cried while reading that book, it's still one of my favorite books, he's also one of my favorite authors in fact.
HazelandGus4life?
Haunted-Sunshine
Currently Reading: The Dead Circle
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haunted-sunshine.html

Post by Haunted-Sunshine »

Oh boy here we go:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
Fang by James Patterson
Blood Red Road by Moira Young
Horns by Joe Hill
Crash and Burn by Lisa Gardner
It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson
And so many more that I can't think of right now
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

The ending of the Lord of the Rings gets me every time... going to the West always gets the tears flowing.

Also, Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult. Great book, definitely a tear jerker though!
Titanium Love
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanium-love.html
Latest Review: "Spell Wars" by Joshua Cox-Steib

Post by Titanium Love »

The last book I read that made me do more than bawl like a baby was Every Exquisite Thing by Matthew Quick. It was so sad but happy at the same time. :cry: I actually mourned the loss of Alex...I still feel sad when I think about him. :cry: :cry: It was a good book.
Latest Review: "Spell Wars" by Joshua Cox-Steib
AlexisMommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexismommy.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by AlexisMommy »

I just finished Me Before You and I blubbered like a baby.

My daughter even came up to me to see what was wrong.

It pulled at your heartstrings and at the same time really made you think about your opinion on things.

LOVED IT!
reading rocknroll
Currently Reading: If I was your girl
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-rocknroll.html

Post by reading rocknroll »

All of John Greens books have made me cry, even the ones that end happily, I still end up shedding a tear. I am a pretty emotional person so that might have something to do with it. Also the Harry Potter series make me bawl my eyes out. Even when I know what's going to happen, I can't stop myself from crying. My favorite authors, are authors that have made me cry. They truly understand how to pull at individuals heart strings and they are the true heart breakers in this world.
shareetolentino

Post by shareetolentino »

Oh my god - I cried at the Deathly Hallows, too!
Particularly at the chapter where JK just started killing everyone (well, Voldemort did, but still).
When Remus and Tonk died, followed by so many others, I lost it.

Shamefully, I have to admit that I cried with many, many Nicholas Sparks novels as well. *runs away*
KaraSkinner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karaskinner.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by KaraSkinner »

I cried so hard when I read Mockingjay. The tears were totally streaming down my face by the end of the book. I also cried really hard at the end of the sixth Harry Potter book and of course, all during Deathly Hallows.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”