Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

babelfish_2012
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by babelfish_2012 »

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne and Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys -- powerhouse books both of them
..but then I'm the reader that has tears in their eyes after probably 8 out of 10 books :P It's not like I'm always crying either, it's just this indescribable feeling after reading the last page of a good book. How's that for spilling out secrets right after joining the forum?

Is it just me alone or are there others out there with overactive lacrimal glands?
havefaith74

Post by havefaith74 »

Hope Rising by Kim Meeder. I read the book in one sitting one night, and I started crying at page 1. I never stopped crying. As a matter of fact, I had to stop reading a couple of times becuase I was crying so hard. But, even though it made me cry, I would read it again and again. It was so heartwarming and so moving.

Kim Meeder and her husband own and operate Crystal Peaks Youth Ranch in central Oregon. Crystal Peaks is a nonprofit organization that rescues abused and neglected horses and pairs them with disadvantaged children, offering the children a place of safety, peace, and learning. This collection of real-life stories of incidents at the ranch and Meeder's testimony of God's faithfulness and providence make this a read that one will never forget.
icy-toes

Post by icy-toes »

I cry at the end of any good LONG book with great characters... for instance The Stand by Stephen King. By the end of the book I am so closely bound to the characters that I am mourning the end of our relationship at the end. I think I probably cried at the end of the Harry Potter series, but I can't remember for sure, I read them so long ago.
jannawithmenna
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jannawithmenna.html

Post by jannawithmenna »

The book that made me feel sorry and cried was "Black foxes" by Sonya Hartnet.
preetisoft2

Post by preetisoft2 »

PS I Love you by Celia Ahern this book makes me cry.
karoosie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karoosie.html

Post by karoosie »

No matter how many times I read the Harry Potter series, I cry at at least one point in probably every book!
jadestar31
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadestar31.html

Post by jadestar31 »

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I read that book when I was 18 or 19 and it hit me like a ton of bricks.
merrychen

Post by merrychen »

All of us have real thrilling stories in which the hero had only a limited and specified time to live. I wept at the sight of so much suffering .
nancyfee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancyfee.html

Post by nancyfee »

mmm the first that come to mind is " A walk to remember"
swithage

Post by swithage »

"The Bridges of Madison County" was the book that made me cry "THE MOST" over the past 10 years or so; but also "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult - and I was so-o-o- o MAD when they changed the ending of the movie "My Sister's Keeper" - I couldn't understand how Picoult would allow this??
GarethKPengelly
Favorite Author: Too many to choose
Favorite Book: Too many to choose

Post by GarethKPengelly »

Space Marine, by Ian Watson.

A science fiction book about a future warrior who comes from an aristocratic background but is humbled over the course of the story.
Caretames1

Post by Caretames1 »

Where the Red Fern grows, UGH I just read that again! Sob story.
Lorie_vangorp

Post by Lorie_vangorp »

Sisterhood of the traveling pants I cried so hard I had a headache. Also the Mermaid Chair and Secret Life of Bees.
ralfy

Post by ralfy »

Hardy's Jude the Obscure and Ligotti's Conspiracy Against the Human Race.
Sonia Galloway

Post by Sonia Galloway »

"Fisherman of Iceland" by Pierre Loti.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”