How do you deal with unfamiliar words?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Re: How do you deal with unfamiliar words?

Post by DennisK »

Welcome to the forum, Vulgate and Lakshmanachari! :tiphat:
After laboring over the process of looking a word up in the dictionary, committing it to memory and then possibly striving to make it apart of my working vocabulary, I began to wonder if there was a better way to deal with unfamiliar words – other than the grunt and grind of memorization. I was thinking that perhaps someone familiar with Latin or Greek could take the root of an unfamiliar word and be able to analyze its meaning. From reading a bit on Wikipedia, however, I learned that the Germanic language did not originate from Latin, and as such, invalidates my hopes for a better way to deal with unfamiliar words. English, it seems, is a Germanic language – unlike French or Spanish. Not all is lost, for studying a new word's morphemes might help with its memorization.
The word, morphemes is a new word for me; so as an example, the morphemes of the word morphemes are morph which is borrowed from French and it means “forms” and the French suffix -eme is used to describe the basic units of a language. So, knowing the uses of "morph" and "-eme", and within the context of what I am reading, I may be able to understand the meaning of any word containing morph or any word ending in -ene. By learning one word, I may be able to set the stage for many more words to follow.
Anyway, I'll be giving this approach to vocabulary a try. I don't have an eidetic memory; so memorization, for me, is much easier when I can relate the new item to something I already know.
:techie-studyingbrown:
KimberReads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20519">The curious charms of Arthur pepper</a>
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberreads.html

Post by KimberReads »

E-readers soooo help with that, I will often highlight the word and read the definition right then and there...unless I am so engrossed in the story that the lack of knowledge doesnt pull me out of the tale. If I can glean an idea as to what it means by context, I will oft times skim over it. ;)
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I enjoy reading and coming across unfamiliar words or words that I am unsure of the exact meaning. I will look them up in order to get the just and I also make a note of trying to remember it in order to expand my vocabulary. When I was in high school my English teacher would make us read articles from magazines like Newsweek and we would have to create a list of all the new words we encountered. Ever since then, I make a point of looking up new words. One thing that I find hard is reading books like The Lord of the Rings that include different races of people and different unique languages, names, and spellings. At first it detracts from the story. I eventually get used to it and get into the story.

Another thing that I found fun and interesting was playing with an electronic dictionary that I had been given as a gift. I would enter random series of letters and the dictionary would make suggestions about the word I was searching for. I learned many new words in this manner.

For example, conflagration...I had never heard the term before. Here's a context clue for you...the recent conflagration that devastated Gatlinburg, TN was shocking and sad since so many families lost loved ones and their homes and places of employment. It is such a great town to visit, but it will take some time before this community recovers.

Another term...peripatetic...huh? Another context clue for you...Hunter-gatherer societies are often peripatetic in their search for sustenance. Military personnel live peripatetic lives as they are stationed in locations throughout the world.
JessieMarie84
Currently Reading: Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessiemarie84.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by JessieMarie84 »

I deal with unfamiliar words by writing them down and looking them up when I'm at the computer or putting the book down and looking in my dictionary. I like learning new words.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
DennisK

Post by DennisK »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I enjoy reading and coming across unfamiliar words or words that I am unsure of the exact meaning. I will look them up in order to get the just and I also make a note of trying to remember it in order to expand my vocabulary. When I was in high school my English teacher would make us read articles from magazines like Newsweek and we would have to create a list of all the new words we encountered. Ever since then, I make a point of looking up new words. One thing that I find hard is reading books like The Lord of the Rings that include different races of people and different unique languages, names, and spellings. At first it detracts from the story. I eventually get used to it and get into the story.

Another thing that I found fun and interesting was playing with an electronic dictionary that I had been given as a gift. I would enter random series of letters and the dictionary would make suggestions about the word I was searching for. I learned many new words in this manner.

For example, conflagration...I had never heard the term before. Here's a context clue for you...the recent conflagration that devastated Gatlinburg, TN was shocking and sad since so many families lost loved ones and their homes and places of employment. It is such a great town to visit, but it will take some time before this community recovers.

Another term...peripatetic...huh? Another context clue for you...Hunter-gatherer societies are often peripatetic in their search for sustenance. Military personnel live peripatetic lives as they are stationed in locations throughout the world.
Your electronic dictionary seems to be just the thing for crossword puzzles.
Conflagration ... OK, this is fun: Looking the word up in the online etymology dictionary, I see that the word's roots are con + flagrant. The word, flagrant is Latin which means 'to burn'. According to the dictionary, the root 'con', or 'com' is used as an intensive prefix which denotes something stronger or forceful. If I ever run into a word that has 'flagrant' in it, I can think of a fire. The root 'con', or 'com' could lend to 'fire' as being strong or forceful … a firestorm. I would love to use your electronic dictionary to see how many other words has 'flagrant' in it. Looking the word up in the dictionary, I see that the word can mean a large fire, or a war. So, your excerpt could be referring to the Civil War, or it could be about a large fire that Gatlinburg experienced. The definition 'war' was something I completely missed.
Peripatetic … I'll try this one: The root 'per', or 'peri' is Greek meaning 'around'. The root 'patein' means 'to walk'. I would glen the word 'peripatetic' in your example as people who travel ….? Looking the word up in the dictionary, I find that I am not far off … I wonder how many words have 'patein' in them. The prefix 'per' is used a lot. More study of that root would be interesting.
My point is that with the meaning of 'con', 'flagrant', 'per' and 'patein', how many more words containing these roots will I know when I see them used in a sentence and within the subject?

-- 15 Dec 2016, 23:37 --

Geez ... I'm beginning to feel like a neard!
heshma_m
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heshma-m.html

Post by heshma_m »

Whenever I come across to any unfamiliar word, I would like to know the meaning of that word. So I immediately look out for the definition of that word into a dictionary. It is my habit. I can't go on without knowing the meaning of that word.
patch_of_light
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patch-of-light.html

Post by patch_of_light »

I am usually too lazy to pick up a dictionary to look up an unfamiliar word. It ruins the immersion, I would say. I just skip unfamiliar words and go on reading. It's usually possible to understand the meaning of the word from the context in which it has been used. But if the word is important to the narrative, or if it's in a different language, I google it.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

DennisK wrote: Your electronic dictionary seems to be just the thing for crossword puzzles.
Conflagration ... OK, this is fun: Looking the word up in the online etymology dictionary, I see that the word's roots are con + flagrant. The word, flagrant is Latin which means 'to burn'. According to the dictionary, the root 'con', or 'com' is used as an intensive prefix which denotes something stronger or forceful. If I ever run into a word that has 'flagrant' in it, I can think of a fire. The root 'con', or 'com' could lend to 'fire' as being strong or forceful … a firestorm. I would love to use your electronic dictionary to see how many other words has 'flagrant' in it. Looking the word up in the dictionary, I see that the word can mean a large fire, or a war. So, your excerpt could be referring to the Civil War, or it could be about a large fire that Gatlinburg experienced. The definition 'war' was something I completely missed.
Peripatetic … I'll try this one: The root 'per', or 'peri' is Greek meaning 'around'. The root 'patein' means 'to walk'. I would glen the word 'peripatetic' in your example as people who travel ….? Looking the word up in the dictionary, I find that I am not far off … I wonder how many words have 'patein' in them. The prefix 'per' is used a lot. More study of that root would be interesting.
My point is that with the meaning of 'con', 'flagrant', 'per' and 'patein', how many more words containing these roots will I know when I see them used in a sentence and within the subject?

-- 15 Dec 2016, 23:37 --

Geez ... I'm beginning to feel like a neard!
I absolutely love your analysis!!! Thank you. That was fun and instead of being a nerd you should feel accomplished as a master of figuring out difficult or new vocabulary!!!
DennisK

Post by DennisK »

:tiphat:
rvenkat
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rvenkat.html
Latest Review: "10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book" by Scott Hughes

Post by rvenkat »

Hi,

I'm so thankful to the Kindle Cloud Reader on this aspect. When I double-click on a word that I don't understand, it automatically
brings up the dictionary, as well as an option to make a 'Note'. I get the meaning from the online dictionary entry right away.
Also, I can use the note feature to make a note of anything that I would like to revisit. Especially, the note feature is so useful
for book reviews, when I can come back and add my points to the review!

Thanks for asking!
Latest Review: "10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book" by Scott Hughes
cyndibookswagbag
Favorite Author: Gena Showalter
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3591

Post by cyndibookswagbag »

The first series i ran into with a ton of words i did not know was Outlander, i always look them up! Love learning new words
Brienne Bellemare
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brienne-bellemare.html

Post by Brienne Bellemare »

If i dont know the word i simply look it up and use the context of the speech to help

-- 16 Dec 2016, 19:38 --

If i dont know the word i simply look it up and use the context of the speech to help
Sarene09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarene09.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Sarene09 »

Normally it's easy to tell by context but I have had to go look up words before. If I have to look up too many words or it seems out of context I usually won't read the book.
mcnrdnn
Currently Reading: Night Fall
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcnrdnn.html

Post by mcnrdnn »

I do my best to figure it out using context clues. That's why I like my Nook, because if I can't figure it out on my own, I can just touch the word and get a definition.
DennisK

Post by DennisK »

Sarene09 wrote:Normally it's easy to tell by context but I have had to go look up words before. If I have to look up too many words or it seems out of context I usually won't read the book.
I guess you just have to love words to put up with the hassle of looking it up and committing it to memory. A new word is like opening a door to what lays beyond. Sometimes it is just an empty room, but sometimes it can lead to a whole new world. A new word has the potential of giving you a new perspective. There were times when I had been feeling something that I couldn't put to words, but then stumbling across a word that allowed me to express that feeling. A new paradigm of thought, a new perspective - finding a way to express oneself is a wonderful growing experience, and that can be addictive. Don't give up on those difficult books, Sarene09. There may be hidden treasures buried within. :wink:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”