What are you reading right now ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Re: What are you reading right now ?

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I just finished reading "Perfume- a story of a murderer" by Patrick Suskind. At first I was really intrigued and drawn into the story, but after a while it started to get a bit pedantic, it was interesting nonetheless.

I felt that the author was a bit unfair to the main character, making him out to be such a villain from the beginning of his life, already condemning him to evil, even though he had not yet done anything.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
InkyReader
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkyreader.html

Post by InkyReader »

The Book of the Dun Cow. Out of sheer curiosity, has anyone else here read that book? No one I know has read it but my sister.
Livi-C
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livi-c.html

Post by Livi-C »

I am reading The treatment.
OnionPickle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onionpickle.html

Post by OnionPickle »

The Fantastic Voyage 2: Destination Brain, by Isaac Asimov.
michystar12
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michystar12.html

Post by michystar12 »

Anne Frank and other children of the holocaust
Ravenmount
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 16854">The Glass Bead Game</a>
Currently Reading: Fear
Bookshelf Size: 2228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravenmount.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by Ravenmount »

I am now in the middle of Quartet for the End of Time, by Johanna Skibsrud, and I just started Dancing on the Head of a Pen, by Robert Benson. I also have started Mr. Mercedes, by Stephen King, but it is an ebook, and I'm temporarily a bit burnt out on ebooks- I hate reading them anyway, and I've been reading a lot of them lately, mostly ARCs I can't get in physical form. Real paper, with printed words that are not on a glowing screen, and lovely multi-color cover-art, and I am not battling my tiny reader-screen to get it to show pages with images and text in a way that looks halfway decent... :)
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
jord7325
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jord7325.html

Post by jord7325 »

The last book I read was the Invention of Iron Man. It is a non-fiction book about whether it would be possible to actually create the superhero. A very good blend of science and comic lore.
AnnDJ
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anndj.html

Post by AnnDJ »

jord7325 wrote:The last book I read was the Invention of Iron Man. It is a non-fiction book about whether it would be possible to actually create the superhero. A very good blend of science and comic lore.
Hmm sounds Interesting I never heard of it.

-- 16 Sep 2014, 07:58 --
Erik1485 wrote:
rida wrote:
Erik1485 wrote:I've recently finished "The Neighbor" by Dean Koontz and "Big Driver" by Stephen King. Both were enjoyable short stories that I would recommend to fans of the respective authors. "The Neighbor" makes me want to read "The City" and I have put a hold on it.

It is a rainy day here in Texas, so I think I am going to start reading "The Shining" by Stephen King (first time read).

I really like The Shining. I am going to read Doctor's Sleep next month bu most people say that it didn't do justice to Shining
The Shining has been on my "Read List" for a long time, I'm excited to finally start it. Yeah, I've heard mixed things about Doctor Sleep but I am sure that I will read it after The Shining.
I really liked the shining it was my first King book I read. Doctor sleep is no where near the level of the shining
rida
Favorite Author: A lot
Favorite Book: More than favorite authors
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rida.html
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy

Post by rida »

My first King book is Gunslinger . God hated it. Then I read Shining. I liked it but ending was really typical and didn't do justice to rest of the story. I didn't gather courage to read any more of his books after that
Read, read & eat then read some more
nikilav22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikilav22.html

Post by nikilav22 »

To kill a mocking bird - Harper Lee
AnnDJ
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anndj.html

Post by AnnDJ »

rida wrote:My first King book is Gunslinger . God hated it. Then I read Shining. I liked it but ending was really typical and didn't do justice to rest of the story. I didn't gather courage to read any more of his books after that
I understand that I find myself hating the ending of 90% of the books I read mainly cause I dont want them to end. What are you reading right now rida?
rida
Favorite Author: A lot
Favorite Book: More than favorite authors
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rida.html

Post by rida »

nikilav22 wrote:To kill a mocking bird - Harper Lee
I want to read it for so long but never got a chance. May be I'll have to put it in my group so I would read it. (Selfish Moderator :lol: )

-- 16 Sep 2014, 18:54 --

@AnnDJ, I mostly don't like ending of suspense/horror. They get typical mostlly. Same happened to me in We Were Liars. Such a great plot and start but it ended so lamely. Didn't answered most of the things not even explained the title of the book
Read, read & eat then read some more
Heidi76
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: Dead Until Dark
Bookshelf Size: 196

Post by Heidi76 »

AnnDJ wrote:
Heidi76 wrote:Just finished Cruel and Unusual by Patricia Cornwell this morning, and finally get to start A Dying Fall by Elly Griffiths. This is the fifth book in the series (I think), I absolutely loved the others in the series so I have very high hopes for this one.
Do you have to read her books in order cause someone just gave about 7 of her books but they I am missing the first few? :?:

Cornwell´s books can be read in any order I think, I have only read a couple of them and there are mentions of things from previous books but it doesn´t matter, you can follow the story anyway. Griffiths books I think should be read in order to understand all that´s going on.

-- Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:19 am --

Just finished A Dying Fall by Elly Griffiths, I loved it, as I knew I would, highly recommended! Now reading the swedish translation of the first book in The Mortal Instruments series, City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.
Home is behind, the world ahead. And there are many paths to tread. Through shadow, to the edge of night. Until the stars are all alight. Mist and shadow, cloud and shade. All shall fade. All shall fade. /JRR Tolkien, Peregrin Took
Erik1485

Post by Erik1485 »

rida wrote:My first King book is Gunslinger . God hated it. Then I read Shining. I liked it but ending was really typical and didn't do justice to rest of the story. I didn't gather courage to read any more of his books after that
Yeah, the Gunslinger would be a very tough read for someones first King book since it is part of the Dark Tower series and is a lot different than his other work. I thought the "Drawing of the Three" (second book) was much better in that series. Stephen King definitely has a unique style that some people love and others hate. I would recommend giving him another shot. "The Stand" is a great King book. :D
Naijasia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naijasia.html

Post by Naijasia »

Currently reading Looking for Alaska by John Green :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”