What are you reading right now ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Re: What are you reading right now ?

Post by Redlegs »

The Forgotten Rebels of Eureka by Clare Wright is a thoroughly researched and entertainingly written piece of Australian history telling us about the role of women in the Victorian goldfields, culminating in the Eureka Stockade in December 1854, which was certainly not covered in the history texts at school. I recommend this book to any Australian interested in the roots of Australian "fair go" culture and the origins of the first Australian flag.

I am now starting another book covering a different period of Australian history that is very poorly known in this country - An Awkward Truth by Peter Grose, which covers the bombing of Darwin commencing on 19 February 1942, which was bigger than Pearl Harbor. It is also a personal tale, because my fathers aunt, uncle and cousin, who ran the Darwin Post Office were killed when they took a direct hit from a Japanese bomb on that day.

-- 20 Oct 2014, 23:20 --
knighthkm wrote:I'm about to start "The Invisible Man" by H.G. Wells. I'm excited!
I also recommend Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison - similar title, but a completely different subject. A more modern classic (1952), but really excellent.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

The Daily 5: Fostering Literacy Independence in the Elementary Grades by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser.
Heidi76
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Currently Reading: Dead Until Dark
Bookshelf Size: 196

Post by Heidi76 »

Just finished Anaché by Maria Turtschaninoff, she's from a small town in southern Finland, from my hometown actually :) . Loved the book, it's "Clan of the Cavebear-ish", stone-age or close to it, young girl that doesn´t fit in, she goes her own way, spiritworld very significant, summer-meetings and so on. So when I finished it I started the Clan of the Cavebear series for the millionth time, gonna read the first three only I think, as the last three are not as good as the first.
Home is behind, the world ahead. And there are many paths to tread. Through shadow, to the edge of night. Until the stars are all alight. Mist and shadow, cloud and shade. All shall fade. All shall fade. /JRR Tolkien, Peregrin Took
Hawkfrost541
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawkfrost541.html

Post by Hawkfrost541 »

I'm reading Name of the Wind right now. It's by Patrick Rothfuss and I highly recommend it. Absolutely amazing read. Fantastically magical and real. The story is a fantasy novel but it weaves and sews a world around you incorporating ideas and thoughts used during the times of Bogie man stories and demons.
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I've just picked up from a charity store a book called 'The Savage Garden' by Mark Mills. It's set in Tuscany in 1958 and is a murder mystery. I've only read a few pages so far, so I can't give any opinion of it yet. I hope it turns out OK because I've read a lot on my Kindle lately and I've missed the feel of a real book.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

Heidi76 wrote:Just finished Anaché by Maria Turtschaninoff, she's from a small town in southern Finland, from my hometown actually :) . Loved the book, it's "Clan of the Cavebear-ish", stone-age or close to it, young girl that doesn´t fit in, she goes her own way, spiritworld very significant, summer-meetings and so on. So when I finished it I started the Clan of the Cavebear series for the millionth time, gonna read the first three only I think, as the last three are not as good as the first.
I enjoyed the Clan of the Cave Bear when it first came out, along with the Valley of Horses and the Mammoth Hunters... wasn't there more books to that series?
ameliadefield

Post by ameliadefield »

I'm reading The Klingon Gambit by Robert E. Vardeman. I bought it after reading it when I was younger at a library. One of the smallest Star Trek novels I've seen, but oh so funny!
NovelDame

Post by NovelDame »

"The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters (fantastic) and an early-90's Zebra horror paperback called "Horrorshow", about a TV horror host who murders on Halloween! I thought it'd be perfect silly, gory October fun but it's actually a pretty ugly, brutal book with zero likable characters. Hm.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The Garden of Letters by Alyson Richman
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi76
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Currently Reading: Dead Until Dark
Bookshelf Size: 196

Post by Heidi76 »

Lilapo9 wrote:
Heidi76 wrote:Just finished Anaché by Maria Turtschaninoff, she's from a small town in southern Finland, from my hometown actually :) . Loved the book, it's "Clan of the Cavebear-ish", stone-age or close to it, young girl that doesn´t fit in, she goes her own way, spiritworld very significant, summer-meetings and so on. So when I finished it I started the Clan of the Cavebear series for the millionth time, gonna read the first three only I think, as the last three are not as good as the first.
I enjoyed the Clan of the Cave Bear when it first came out, along with the Valley of Horses and the Mammoth Hunters... wasn't there more books to that series?
There are 6 books in the series, but the last 3 are not as good, and the last one feels like it's written by someone else, it's not good at all. But the first three are still as good as the firs time I read them :D
Home is behind, the world ahead. And there are many paths to tread. Through shadow, to the edge of night. Until the stars are all alight. Mist and shadow, cloud and shade. All shall fade. All shall fade. /JRR Tolkien, Peregrin Took
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

"The Watson Chronicles," by Ann Margaret Lewis. It's a collection of short stories with the Sherlock Holmes characters, centered around Watson's relationship with the woman who will be his third wife.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Jeswif1s

Post by Jeswif1s »

I am actually reading fan fiction books on wattpad. They draw me and and I get so glued to them I could read them all day. I like the fact that them are written by people of all age levels, writing levels etc sure some may be average but when i find a great book I'm hooked! I think it's great that small writers and every day people can get out there and write something they are passionate about for others to read :)
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

I'm currently reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. Recently finished The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Juliette wrote:I'm currently reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. Recently finished The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes.
One of my all time favourite books, I love all his books
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”