What are you reading right now ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Taylor Hagen
Currently Reading: Reached
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-hagen.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: What are you reading right now ?

Post by Taylor Hagen »

I am mac dab in the middle of reading Sacred by Elena Arnold. It is alright so far, but I feel like there is more to be explained and a type of paranormal thing happening between all the characters. Also the protagonist's development is very scattered.

-Taylor :idea:
Fida Fadzlan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fida Fadzlan »

Gandhi's book "The Story of My Experiments With Truth"
KTWStudios
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktwstudios.html

Post by KTWStudios »

Currently reading a book called Wayback, by Sam Batterman.
Kharina
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kharina.html

Post by Kharina »

I'm currently reading The Chosen by Chaim Potok. It's not terribly exciting but it's not meant to be. There is an integrity about this book that makes you want to turn the pages. I've set it down several times because it moves a bit slow but it's not boring. It focuses on two young boys raised in the Jewish faith with two vastly different approaches. I'm curious to see how the story ends. I recommend it.
sunny_dazee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunny-dazee.html

Post by sunny_dazee »

Right now i'm reading The Red Tent by Anita Diament
Nikkiv78
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Nikkiv78 »

I just started reading The Snow Angel by Glenn Beck I'm literally not even on chapter 3 and have cried over it :( excellent read thus far !
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Fran wrote:Just starting The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell .... I've been saving this one but it's stated to look crossly at me from the "to read" shelf so I decided tonight is the night :lol:

I'm still reading The Bone Clocks but I have it in hardback & it's way too heavy to carry to work so my communter read is The Holy Thief by William Ryan
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Cmmay85
Currently Reading: The Fate of Ten (The Lorien Legacies #6)
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Cmmay85 »

I'm currently reading "The a Fate of Ten" from the Pittacus Lore series.
Mika83
Currently Reading: The Golem and The Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by Mika83 »

I'm alternating between an anthology called Rogues, edited by George R.R. Martin, and The Golum & the Jinni by Helene Wecker.
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie! :D
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
kderse
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kderse.html

Post by kderse »

I am reading Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

'The Color Purple' by Alice Walker and 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' by Tennessee Williams.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
makaylareads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makaylareads.html

Post by makaylareads »

I am currently reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and I am loving it!
zumanajim
Currently Reading: Allies of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zumanajim.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by zumanajim »

right now im reading fairest by Marissa Meyers In Fairest, Marissa Meyer weaves a tale telling the backstory of Levana, the main villain in the Lunar Chronicles. In this book, readers see an in-depth look at Levana’s troubled childhood and adolescence. Levana could have come off as excessively (and I mean EXCESSIVELY) evil without any reason, which is one of my pet peeve’s in fiction. Villains need to have motivation, even if they are complete pyschopaths. Fortunately, Marissa Meyer’s rendering of Levana’s backstory shows that Levana clearly has a motivation and a background that has influenced her evil nature. I truly enjoyed getting to understand why Levana was evil instead of just accepting her as that way with no reason. :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:

-- 25 Nov 2015, 20:35 --

On the other hand, while it can be understood that Levana’s troubled backstory led to her evil nature, her truly evil acts are still not forgiven. No matter how bad of a past Levana has had, the truly evil acts that she has committed can not use her backstory as an excuse. No, sirree. The evil acts that Levana commits in this book for power over her people are truly chilling and so So SO EVIL. She makes horrible choices that can not be excused, which is why I like that Marissa Meyer doesn’t try to make us readers forgive Levana with this book. This is not some sob-story that tells us the villain isn’t really a villain. :o :o :o :o :o :o :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:
FlorilegiumNYC
Currently Reading: M Train
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florilegiumnyc.html

Post by FlorilegiumNYC »

I am currently finishing "M Train" by Patti Smith (beautiful signed copy!)
as well as "Reading like a Writer" by Francine Prose (there are spoilers in here! but none the less a very helpful book)

:D

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”