What are you reading right now ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Hortonreader
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hortonreader.html
Latest Review: "Dreams of Gold" by Jonathan Chamberlain

Re: What are you reading right now ?

Post by Hortonreader »

I am reading the fan fiction James Potter series by Norman Lippert. He has nailed the essence of the Harry potter books 100%
Latest Review: "Dreams of Gold" by Jonathan Chamberlain
Geneen Karstens
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Geneen Karstens »

Just starting The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. Really funny!
DianeOwens
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Thin Places

Post by DianeOwens »

I am reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. I love the amblings of this man on the adventure of his life. The pace is slow and soothing and perfect for this time of year.
johnweb2012

Post by johnweb2012 »

Currently reading Married and Unsettled book by Lal.
DianeOwens
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Thin Places

Post by DianeOwens »

A24 wrote:I will be starting "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon soon. This is my December book of the month read and hopefully I will get some time to read it. But, being as I just finished my November book of the month Dec 15, I guess I'll be late for this one too. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this book so anxious to see what it is all about.
-- 19 Dec 2012, 22:22 --

I loved this book. The author does an amazing job of plotting this story. The writing is superb and the descriptions are used as tour guides when people are traveling. Trying to remember? Is it Barcelona?
jessnight

Post by jessnight »

I'm reading Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick and The Life of Pi by Yann Martel

-- 20 Dec 2012, 08:26 --
Geneen Karstens wrote:Just starting The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. Really funny!
Planning to read this next! :wink:
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell

-- Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:59 am --

Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
A24

Post by A24 »

Started listening to "Though None Go with Me" by Jerry Jenkins.
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
proudmom25
Favorite Book: Hard to say so... MANY
Currently Reading: The Gift by Cecilia Ahern
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proudmom25.html

Post by proudmom25 »

The Gift by Cecielia ahern
~"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves".~
DATo

Post by DATo »

About to start The God Of Small Things by Roy Arundhati.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

DATo wrote:About to start The God Of Small Things by Roy Arundhati.
Ah there you are DATo .... I was missing you :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
jomarie

Post by jomarie »

I am about to start The Ambassadors by Henry James. I belong to a reading discussion group that meets at our local B & N and this is the January selection.
DATo

Post by DATo »

Fran wrote:
Ah there you are DATo .... I was missing you :lol:
HERE I AM !!! *Jumping up and down and waving arms*

My wayward life, dictating adherence to professional and household responsibilities, has led me down the path of perdition and had recently radically reduced the amount of time I could allot to reading (Oh the horror !! The horror !!!), but I am now back on track and eager to reassume the path of righteousness.

Since our last discussion I have been Midievally dismembering David Mitchell's Ghostwritten on the rack in an attempt to force its secrets from its trembling lips but it has proven to be a stalwart trooper and has divulged what it knows with great reluctance, and begrudgingly. Unfortunately I do not own the book and until I do I must rely on checking it out of the library which I intend to do one more time. It only remains to decide whether to inflict upon it the terrors of the Iron Maiden or to suspend it from the ceiling of my torture chamber and sear it with hot irons.

I have concluded, as stated in the Ghostwritten thread, that the ending of Cloud Atlas is the result of the events described at the ending of Ghostwritten. Also, I have found that in every Mitchell book there is an allusion to an heirloom of some sort: In Black Swan Green it was a wristwatch; in Thousand Autumns it was a carving and a Bible; in Ghostwritten it was a Victorian chair; in Number9Dream it was a sword .... but I am having difficulty remembering an heirloom from Cloud Atlas unless it was Frobishier's letters ??? Does anything come to mind? I am tempted to believe that Luisa Rey's father might have left her something but I am not sure of this. One thing I've learned about Mitchell books is that you cannot take anything for granted - one must concentrate on every single word.

Anyway, I am going to take a break from Mitchell books. All the time I've spent down in the damp torture dungeons has given me a sniffle. I shall next read, as stated above, The God Of Small Things by Roy Arundhati. It is waiting for me at the library for pick up and I will get it tonight after work. I'll give you a report when I've read it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@DATo
Welcome back from the dungeons, so glad you made it out of there in time for Christmas. :lol:
That is an interesting point you raise about the heirloom, I hadn't considered that .... now I will have to do more re-reading.
Mitchell really is value for money!

But just at the minute I'm reading Changeling by Philippa Gregory
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Aah, DATo, one of my very, very favourites! (It's actually Arundhati Roy. She also writes some brilliant non-fiction. I highly recommend The Algebra of Infinite Justice).
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”