What are you reading right now ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Re: What are you reading right now ?

Post by Gannon »

I am just about to start "Number9dream" by David Mitchell.

@Fran

Hope you like "Daughters of Rome". I quite enjoyed it. Have you read "Mistress of Rome" first? :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Gannon wrote:I am just about to start "Number9dream" by David Mitchell.

@Fran

Hope you like "Daughters of Rome". I quite enjoyed it. Have you read "Mistress of Rome" first? :D
Yes indeed I followed your instruction & read Mistress first & loved it ... Daughters I think will also please :)
Off topic but I was in the hairdressers this am & had a long chat with the girl doing my hair about The Hypnotist which I had recommended to her on my last visit (not a book to discuss with someone wielding a scissors close to your head) but she is loving it. Now can you possibly guess what author I recommended she read next? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Fran wrote:
Gannon wrote:I am just about to start "Number9dream" by David Mitchell.

@Fran

Yes indeed I followed your instruction & read Mistress first & loved it ... Daughters I think will also please :)
Off topic but I was in the hairdressers this am & had a long chat with the girl doing my hair about The Hypnotist which I had recommended to her on my last visit (not a book to discuss with someone wielding a scissors close to your head) but she is loving it. Now can you possibly guess what author I recommended she read next? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Maybe, just maybe.....David Mitchell. :D :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Fran

Post by Fran »

@Gannon
How did you guess? :lol: :lol: :lol:
- My Home by Clive James
GotThatSwing
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by GotThatSwing »

I'm re-reading Lolita.
Lolita. Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.
jomarie

Post by jomarie »

I am about to start Ice Reich by William Dietrich, a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist. It is described as a "gripping tale of scientific intrigue set against the eerie, silent white landscape of Antarctica". Sounds like a good novel to read during cold nights.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Ah yes, now I get to Ghostwritten by David Mitchell .... beside myself with excitement :lol: :lol: :lol:
- My Home by Clive James
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I started one called Hauntings by Vernon Lee. As far as I can tell so far, its about supposedly true ghosts and haunted houses.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Today I finished Netherland by Joseph O'Neill - a story about a Dutchman living in London, who moves to New York, and who takes up cricket on ramshackle urban fields, the only white man playing with a bunch of migrants from the West Indies and the Indian sub-continent. Lovers of cricket will be fascinated by the historical references to the game and may be surprised about the history of cricket in the United States. But, ultimately, it's a book about relationships, and very well done. Recommended.

I now move on to the The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall, (quoting from the back of the book) "originally published in 1928, [this] is the timeless story of a lesbian couple's struggle to be accepted in "polite" society." It is largely autobiographical, banned in its time and still relevant today in dealing with homophobic attitudes in society.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
tonya10057
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: honest illusions
Currently Reading: The next always
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by tonya10057 »

I'm reading Kate White if looks could kill.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

I have just started "The Conspiracy" by John Hersey.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Ive been reading one called English Villages by P.H. Ditchfield. Interesting so far, about rural English life back to prehistoric times.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
migrodsky

Post by migrodsky »

RIght now I'm reading "The Other Queen" by Philippa Gregory, it's about Queen Mary Stuart of Scots and her imprisonment in England under Queen Elizabeth I. I am enjoying it a lot but it's very different from the other books i've read about that time period in that there's almost nothing about court life in the storyline which is what I find so captivating about the time period. I'd recommend it though, it gives me a good sense of the history while still keeping my interested with a great storyline.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Fran wrote:Ah yes, now I get to Ghostwritten by David Mitchell .... beside myself with excitement :lol: :lol: :lol:
Finish it quickly Fran, we are waiting for your thoughts. :D
Medusaseyes

Post by Medusaseyes »

:mrgreen: Ive gone back to the portrait of Dorian Grey

I tell you Oscar Wilde drives me crazy!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”