What are you reading right now ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
sbuckingham5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What are you reading right now ?

Post by sbuckingham5 »

Hello,

I just finished What I Know For Sure by Oprah Winfrey. It was pleasant. It is a quick and easy read. I started it once I gave up on The Book Thief. I tried completing it but I couldn't.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

Right now, I'm reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, and I am majorly creeped out by it. My friend and I are both reading it (and plan to follow it up with Reading "Lolita" in Tehran), and we are in agreement. It is so well done, and the narrator's voice is so strong that you really feel like you're inside this guy's head, and he is a very sick man. Even more impressive: Nabokov wrote in English even though it wasn't his first language.
darkfae2317
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander Series
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkfae2317.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by darkfae2317 »

I just started reading The Shining by Stephen King, next I will be reading the sequel Dr. Sleep
ParaDice
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradice.html

Post by ParaDice »

Since I am into business and trying to start my own I tend to be reading a lot of this type right now. Right now I'm reading 'How I make Over $10,000 Per Week in Passive Income Doing Affiliate Marketing' by Sean Penn.
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

bakerax wrote:I'm reading The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty. I started reading her books in order of release date, so this is her 4th book I've read. I love her books!
Thanks for noting this. I've been wanting to read more of this author's books, and will be adding this one to my list :)

-- 23 Sep 2014, 13:10 --
amybo82 wrote:I just received my second book to officially review for the site! I'm so excited to have the first one under my belt! The new one is God Metaphor{/i] by John Carey.

What was the first book you reviewed? Is your review already posted? Just wondered, I would go and read your review if it is :)
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
clara_sayre
Favorite Author: Cory Doctorow
Favorite Book: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Currently Reading: Awakening the Buddha Within
fav_author_id: 4819

Post by clara_sayre »

I am re-reading Awakening the Buddha Within by Lama Surya Das and also reading The Incrementalists by Steven Brust and The Guinea Pig Diaries by A.J. Jacobs.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

I quite enjoyed Hotel Iris by Yoko Ogawa. It was quite short and very quirky, almost weird and vaguely reminiscent of Murakami. I have a couple of Ogawa's other books available, which I look forward to getting to in due course.

I am now very excited to be starting The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan, which was shortlisted in 2014 for both the Miles Franklin Award (it didn't win) and the Man Booker Prize (it may yet win). It's a while since I have read anything by Flanagan (The Sound of One Hand Clapping) and this comes very highly recommended.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
jouley9

Post by jouley9 »

Redlegs wrote:I quite enjoyed Hotel Iris by Yoko Ogawa. It was quite short and very quirky, almost weird and vaguely reminiscent of Murakami. I have a couple of Ogawa's other books available, which I look forward to getting to in due course.

I am now very excited to be starting The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan, which was shortlisted in 2014 for both the Miles Franklin Award (it didn't win) and the Man Booker Prize (it may yet win). It's a while since I have read anything by Flanagan (The Sound of One Hand Clapping) and this comes very highly recommended.
Murakami is one of my favourite authors so i might have to give one of them a bash!

I have just finished reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov which i am still not sure what to make of. It was an intriguing read; the literary prowess is evident throughout. However, i found myself deeply disgusted and horrified as i worked my way through it. Especially how Humbert repeatedly addresses the reader, often bragging about his accomplishments with his 'nymphet'. I found it to be an interesting exploration of the human pysche and how Humbert tries to justify his actions through his self confessed lunacy. Although there is a great deal of ingenuity and humuor, if you are planning to read this be prepared for the perversity!

I am just starting to read 'And The Mountains Echoed' by Khaled Hosseini. Having already read 'The Kite Runner' and 'A Thousand Splendid Suns', i am thoroughly looking forward to it.
Kait Quarles
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Paper Magician and Maze Runner
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Kait Quarles »

I'm reading this interesting book called The Paper Magician by: Charlie N. Holmberg it was on my Kindles lending library so because I have Prime I can borrow it for free and it sounded interesting so I downloaded it and so far I like it. Its all about how people with magic only do magic with a certain element or medium like art almost. I've only just started but I'm really intrigued by where its going.
Ty0005
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ty0005.html

Post by Ty0005 »

I'm about to breeze through 'The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy' for October along with 'The Halloween Tree' and some short stories. The Halloween Tree is something I read every year during fall time.
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

[quote="jouley9"]
I have just finished reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov which i am still not sure what to make of. It was an intriguing read; the literary prowess is evident throughout. However, i found myself deeply disgusted and horrified as i worked my way through it. Especially how Humbert repeatedly addresses the reader, often bragging about his accomplishments with his 'nymphet'. I found it to be an interesting exploration of the human pysche and how Humbert tries to justify his actions through his self confessed lunacy. Although there is a great deal of ingenuity and humuor, if you are planning to read this be prepared for the perversity!

I think many people feel the same about Lolita - it is easy to admire from a literary perspective while simultaneously feeling a little "dirty" for enjoying it so much.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Post by Michelle-lit »

I'm reading Splintered by A.G. Howard which was a previous book of the month. I felt it started as an interesting concept giving a twisted, dark version to the original Alice and Wonderland. Currently, it's sidetracking and turning into an unoriginal teen romance. Hope it picks back up.
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor
ylisa7
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

ylisa7 wrote:I just started The House At The End Of Hope Street by Menna van Praag.
I really enjoyed this magical little book.

Now I am reading The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure. It is excellent so far.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
jlp 6

Post by jlp 6 »

Florry of Washington Heights
A Novel by Steve Katz

I love NY and NY'ers and if anything has anything to with the City I am going to pick it up. I picked this up outta nowhere and I am finidng it a pretty great read with some very nice writing. Katz definately has skills. It is a coming of age, 1940's kind of Westside Story deal. Raw but not too much. You can relate to the characters but they are definately wacky.

Good story so far.
ashmaughan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashmaughan.html

Post by ashmaughan »

I am currently readying Gone Girl by Gillian Flyn. I started to so that I can watch a movie when it comes out next month.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”