traditional paper book VS e-book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Re: traditional paper book VS e-book

Post by Heather »

I love traditional, paperback books. There is just something special about holding a book in your hands, and turning the pages. It's almost like you're holding a treasure. It makes me feel closer to the story. I also love wandering through a bookstore. So many treasures there!
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
StardustHorizon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by StardustHorizon »

I much prefer the nice physical books rather than an e-book. There's many reasons why I rather them. First and foremost, the fact that you have a copy of the book you can physically read by turning the pages and you get the feeling of being super antsy and want more of the book when you have it in your hands. The smell of a new book is also a very interesting, peculiar smell. Probably because you have yet to explore the world(s) that are within it, so it gives you a sense of imagination and how would they truly smell--those worlds in there? Lastly, (since it is rather late and I've just been reading a book to where I think I could crash; I'm so exhausted) is the threat of electricity dying on you. What would you do if your e-book reading device ran out of batteries and your power went out. Who knows how long the power will be out. You'd get "threatened" with being bored since you can't sit there and read your book when you want to because the power is out. Sure, you can't read your book in the dark but if you're desperate enough you can use a flashlight for it; or if the power went out in the daytime you can just go sit outside and relax then read your physical copy of your book.
sarahpayne23
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 1016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpayne23.html
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk

Post by sarahpayne23 »

I went through a phase a few years ago where I felt I had too many books. I had to buy a new book shelf every couple of months and my entire room was lined with book shelves. I just felt cramped, so I decided to look into e-books. I thought this was the best new way to enjoy books. E-books definitely have their benefits. I used to carry around a book in my purse at all times, for those short minutes when I could read a chapter or two, and I would get really sad when I would finish the book I had in my purse while I was out and had nothing to read. I also used to travel a lot and carrying 3-4 books with me for my trip was a little ridiculous, so e-books became a lifesaver.

The thing I can't get past, is the feel of the paper book, turning the pages, and seeing books laying around my place (I know, the very reason I started exploring e-books). Right now, I typically have a book on my e-reader and a paper book which I read at the same time. As long as the stories are different, I don't have a hard time keeping track of the storylines.

Anyone have suggestions about how they store their paper books?
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

Nearly all e-books now. While I bought my first reader years ago it took me quite a while to read it exclusively. When these devices first came out you couldn't get every book you wanted to read on them. Now it seems like everything is released in this format, and with the ability to borrow e-books from the library it's the only way I read now. Also the e-books are still cheaper than print versions as long as you aren't buying them right after release.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I love the convenience of ebooks but I definitely prefer to physically hold the book in my hands. I also feel like reading on paper is much better for my eyes. Staring at the screen too long gives me a headache.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Reader-Rachel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-rachel.html

Post by Reader-Rachel »

I'll happily read on either. I switch back and forth between the two. Although, if I do read a really good book on my Kindle, I will the the physical copy to add to my personal library. I would never give up actual physical books for e-books, but I'm a fan of both. Reading is reading.
kl23
Currently Reading: The Rising
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kl23.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by kl23 »

Paper 'proper' books are my favourite. They also don't fail when the battery dies or need plugging in. And you can read them outside on a sunny day!
Christine Benedict

Post by Christine Benedict »

Paper books - hands down
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I prefer Ebooks. No need to make room on shelves and have clunky books laying around. I also have a "thing" with certain paper. Some paperbooks make me cringe when touching the pages!! Using an ereader, your hands can be all wrinkled from being wet and you won't have that gross feeling have to touch the paper to read!! Lol
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”