Correlation between reading and longevity

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Correlation between reading and longevity

Post by gali »

Have you read the new study? New study found a connection between reading and increased lifespan. The more reason, as we need one, to read. :)
New research links reading books with longer life:

Sitting for hours has gotten a pretty bad rap of late, and by now most people know that a sedentary lifestyle leads to all sorts of health problems. But new research shows there’s at least one thing you can do during all that time off your feet that’s actually good for you: read a book

A study published online last month (July 18) in Social Science & Health shows that reading books has a significant relationship to increased lifespan.

A team of public health researchers from Yale University looked at data for 3,635 Americans over age 50 collected from 1992 to 2012. Adjusting for age, sex, race, education, wealth, marital status, and depression, they found that those who read books were more likely to live longer. Over 12 years of follow-up, book readers were 20% less likely to die than non-book readers. Overall, the researchers calculated that book reading was associated with an extra 23 months of survival. Reading magazines or newspapers didn’t have the same effect.

The researchers found that people who read books showed stronger cognitive abilities, like recall and counting backwards—skills that, combined with reading, showed a positive relationship with living longer. Avni Bavishi, the master’s student who led the study, believes it’s the deep engagement required by the narrative and characters of fiction, and the length of both fiction and nonfiction books, that increases cognitive skills and therefore extends lives.

An important caveat is that the study only shows correlation, and not causation. In addition, there’s no way to be certain that the same correlations will prove to be there in younger populations, though Bavishi believes it’s likely.
In future studies, she says, it would be helpful to look more specifically at what kinds of books people are reading, and to look more closely at print, ebooks, and audiobooks to figure out if they have different relationships with longevity.

http://qz.com/754109/new-research-links ... nger-life/
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

That is so fascinating! And super cool 8)

Thank you for sharing :)

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I must disagree with this report. My great uncle DOTa read an enormous number of books each year and he died at the age of 43. He was hit by a bus while crossing the street on his way to the library.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I think this is a tricky study because we need to look at a bunch of other things before you can say that it is specifically reading that makes you live longer. I don't think we will ever be able to do a study like this and have it turn out right. :P
Giselle45
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Giselle45 »

We could all meet back here in the year 2080 and discuss this..
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I can see where they're going with this for sure with the older population. The elderly that do things for themselves and live on their own have a much longer healthier lifestyle. As soon as a decision is made to start pampering them and they start doing less, they start declining fast. I think everything to work the brain is good. My 98 year old great grandmother still did crosswords and read all the time versus my other great grandparents that died when I was very little. They sat in front of the TV staring at it for hours.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Giselle45 wrote:We could all meet back here in the year 2080 and discuss this..
Haha I like that idea :D
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

This is an interesting correlation, and one that never occurred to me--maybe because I'm too busy reading? Thanks, gali, for sharing this!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This is good to know! Thank you for sharing this, Gali!

-- 24 Aug 2016, 17:10 --
Giselle45 wrote:We could all meet back here in the year 2080 and discuss this..
Lol, I'm up for that!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I know that reading helps to relieve stress, which is (no doubt) part of this, but I wonder if the exposure to germs (through library/used books), thereby improving the immune system, might also add to it?

In which case, what impact would ebooks have?
Just a random thought, brought to you from my random brain :lol:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I definitely believe it has something to do with cognitive ability! Maybe people who read enjoy life more, and have the will to stick around longer?
MrsRay
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsray.html

Post by MrsRay »

Interesting study. I have to agree with the others who believe reading will keep the brain sharp and fight off dementia and other cognitive problems. Maybe since we're all sedentary reading, we're not out doing dangerous things that might lead to our deaths? Maybe we're just happier which has been shown to help fight off disease. And we have something to look forward to: our next book. :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”