Top three favorite serieses of all time?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Paperboy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Paperboy »

1. By far my favorite fantasy series is The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

2. Harry Potter

3. Artemis Fowl
Ghastlies

Post by Ghastlies »

my most favorite series out of all would be percy jackson and olympians series by rick riordan. it may be a book for children below my age but it did teach me a lot about greek mythology, and life itself and the trials that come with it. it is also very funny because it is told from the point of view of a cool kid.

the next is the chronicles of narnia by cs lewis. although many people claim that it is somehow a medium for religious purposes, i think that it teaches more than just christianity.

last but not the least is the hunger games trilogy by suzanne collins. these books give me the sense of reality, of what life really is and not those make-believe fairytales and happy endings.
Sherry2011

Post by Sherry2011 »

The Lord of the Rings
Twilight
Harry Potter
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I cannot limit it to three, some of my favourite's are

THE MASTERS OF ROME series by Colleen McCullough
THE HISTORY OF THE DECLINE AND FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE by Edward Gibbon
THE EAGLE series by Simon Scarrow
THE THURSDAY NEXT series by Jasper Fforde
HIS DARK MATERIALS series by Phillip Pullman
THE JACK AUBREY/STEPHEN MATURIN series by Patrick O'Brian
TALES OF THE OTORI by Lian Hearn
THE GORMANGHAST TRILOGY by Mervyn Peake
LORD OF THE RINGS by J R Tolkien

-- Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 am --

I forgot to mention the OTHERLAND series by Tad Williams. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
playground

Post by playground »

Hi
GoD Father all movie

Gannon

Can please tell me something about "OTHERLAND"

Best Regards
Playground
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

playground wrote:Hi
GoD Father all movie

Gannon

Best Regards
Playground
Hi there Playground, Otherland is a monster series. It comprises of four volumes, each at least 900 pages long. IMHO it is a very underated series and anyone who is a fan of cyberpunk (although it is not cyberpunk), or movies such as "The Matrix" will love these books. The book is about a group of people who go online into the otherland network to try to find out what has happened to a bunch of missing children. Once inside the Otherland network they find themselves trapped and unable to return to the real world. The series is about this groups attempts to save the children, find out what is going on in this Otherland network and to survive and return to the real world.

WARNING - SPOILER ALERT Following is the blurb on the inside cover of the fourth volume "Sea of Silver Light".
It really does not give anything away but just in case. :)

"Otherland, a private, multidimensional universe built over two generations, by the greatest minds of the twenty-first century, had been one of the world's best kept secrets, created and controlled by an organisation made up of the world's most powerful and ruthless individuals, a private cartel known as The Grail Brotherhood.
But when far too many children fell prey to Otherland, a small band of adventurers, marshaled together by the mysterious being known as Mr Sellers, set out to penetrate the veil of secrecy that prevented the uninitiated from entering Otherland. Once there, they found themselves trapped in the seemingly endless worlds of the Otherland network, unable to escape back to their flesh-and-blood bodies in the real world. Their only hope of survival, and for the children they'd come to rescue, was to make their way through the Otherland network to the terrifying void at the heart of the system.
But even as Renie Sulaweyo, !Xabbu, Paul Jonas, and the rest struggled through the maze of invented worlds, time was growing short. The Brotherhood's plans for immortality within the network had been shattered by the monstrous intelligence that ran the network, a presence known only as the Other, and by an even more monstrous human being who called himself John Dread, the psychopath who once served the Grail network, but who now had made himself the god of this virtual universe, and who was systematically turning the networks worlds into killing grounds. Even his old master, the arch-mage Felix Jongleur, Otherland's creator, was now helplessly forced to make common cause with Renie and the others.
Trapped in the surreal and deadly landscapes of the failing network, Rennie, !Xabbu, Sam Fredericks, Martine, and their companions fought their way toward the system's heart, stuggling against increasing odds to save the children, solve the bizarre mysteries of Otherland, and escape back to reality.
But before long there may not be a "real" world for them to return to for any of them. For destroying his employer's playground was merely a dress rehearsal for Johnny Dread. Dread's ultimate plan was to gain control of Jongleur's massive corporate holdings and spread apocalyptic destruction throughout the entire Earth. "
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Hollow[Slayer]101
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Academ's Fury</a>
Currently Reading: Cursor's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollow-slayer-101.html
Reading Device: B008HTJLF6
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by Hollow[Slayer]101 »

My top three are;

1. The Dresdon Files (Jim Butcher)

2. The Circle Series (Ted Dekker)

3. Codex Alera (Jim Butcher)

-- 29 Jul 2015, 15:14 --
Gannon wrote:
playground wrote:Hi
GoD Father all movie

Gannon

Best Regards
Playground
Hi there Playground, Otherland is a monster series. It comprises of four volumes, each at least 900 pages long. IMHO it is a very underated series and anyone who is a fan of cyberpunk (although it is not cyberpunk), or movies such as "The Matrix" will love these books. The book is about a group of people who go online into the otherland network to try to find out what has happened to a bunch of missing children. Once inside the Otherland network they find themselves trapped and unable to return to the real world. The series is about this groups attempts to save the children, find out what is going on in this Otherland network and to survive and return to the real world.

WARNING - SPOILER ALERT Following is the blurb on the inside cover of the fourth volume "Sea of Silver Light".
It really does not give anything away but just in case. :)

"Otherland, a private, multidimensional universe built over two generations, by the greatest minds of the twenty-first century, had been one of the world's best kept secrets, created and controlled by an organisation made up of the world's most powerful and ruthless individuals, a private cartel known as The Grail Brotherhood.
But when far too many children fell prey to Otherland, a small band of adventurers, marshaled together by the mysterious being known as Mr Sellers, set out to penetrate the veil of secrecy that prevented the uninitiated from entering Otherland. Once there, they found themselves trapped in the seemingly endless worlds of the Otherland network, unable to escape back to their flesh-and-blood bodies in the real world. Their only hope of survival, and for the children they'd come to rescue, was to make their way through the Otherland network to the terrifying void at the heart of the system.
But even as Renie Sulaweyo, !Xabbu, Paul Jonas, and the rest struggled through the maze of invented worlds, time was growing short. The Brotherhood's plans for immortality within the network had been shattered by the monstrous intelligence that ran the network, a presence known only as the Other, and by an even more monstrous human being who called himself John Dread, the psychopath who once served the Grail network, but who now had made himself the god of this virtual universe, and who was systematically turning the networks worlds into killing grounds. Even his old master, the arch-mage Felix Jongleur, Otherland's creator, was now helplessly forced to make common cause with Renie and the others.
Trapped in the surreal and deadly landscapes of the failing network, Rennie, !Xabbu, Sam Fredericks, Martine, and their companions fought their way toward the system's heart, stuggling against increasing odds to save the children, solve the bizarre mysteries of Otherland, and escape back to reality.
But before long there may not be a "real" world for them to return to for any of them. For destroying his employer's playground was merely a dress rehearsal for Johnny Dread. Dread's ultimate plan was to gain control of Jongleur's massive corporate holdings and spread apocalyptic destruction throughout the entire Earth. "
Wow! That sounds like an awesome series. I think i'm going to check it out!
quadbrookie
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by quadbrookie »

I would would have to go The Hunger Games, The Selection, and last but, not least The Twilight Saga
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
K_S_Morgan

Post by K_S_Morgan »

1. Fallocaust

2. Harry Potter/The Hunger Games

3. The Twilight Saga. Can't help but love it :)
GreenBookworm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenbookworm.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Post by GreenBookworm »

Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter and The Chronicles Of Narnia
cjcutrone
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjcutrone.html

Post by cjcutrone »

1. The White Road Chronicals By: Jackie Castle
2. The Ilyon Chronicles By: Jaye L. Knight
3. The Knights of Arrethtrae By: Chuck Black

All of these are Christian medieval fantasy, and are amazing. Wile the series title may not be phenomenal, the books are.
Siriusly
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siriusly.html

Post by Siriusly »

Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
Inheritance Cycle
Chronicles of Narnia
Cher+Pot
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: The Hollow
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cher-pot.html
Latest Review: ""Tiekiedraai" in 31 days" by Roelof Beukes
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Cher+Pot »

1. Discworld novels of Sir Terry Pratchett
2. Harry Potter
3. Lord of the Rings
Absolutely my favorites
If you don't like where you are, MOVE!
You are not a tree.
Latest Review: ""Tiekiedraai" in 31 days" by Roelof Beukes
rosemarieshort
Currently Reading: Vanity Fair
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemarieshort.html

Post by rosemarieshort »

At the moment I think it's;

1. Lord of the Rings
2. The Hunger Games
3. Harry Potter
Crimsonsky 749
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Currently Reading: Artemis fowl
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crimsonsky-749.html
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson
fav_author_id: 4299

Post by Crimsonsky 749 »

I really can't decide between the series I read but I have to say.
1. Percy Jackson (Rick Riordan)
2. The Mortal Instruments (Cassandra Clare)
3. The Ranger's Apprentice (John Flanagan)
The last one is really good but sadly not a lot of people have heard of it.
Sarcasm: The ability to insult idiots without them realising it.
Quote unknown.
Stop waiting for Prince Charming. Get out and find him. The poor idiot may be stuck in a tree or something.
Quote unknown.
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”