Debate: Do Audio books count?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Thebooknerd24
Bookshelf Size: 14

Debate: Do Audio books count?

Post by Thebooknerd24 »

I thought I would get a little friendly debate here going. So I love listening to audio books just as much as I love sitting down and reading a good book. Do any of you think listening to an audio doesn't count as actually "reading." I ask because I've been counting the ones I've been listening to towards my reading goal for the year. I guess this is mostly a matter of preference and I think they count but I was curious as to what other book lovers say? Thoughts?
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I think they count, and I hope I'm right because they're going to my reading goal for the year, too. I think audio books are so useful and enjoyable. It's great to have access to a variety of books--audio, printed, or ebooks.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
k_marie0930
Currently Reading: Throne of Glass
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by k_marie0930 »

I think that they count, but I personally don't like listening to audio books. I can read it myself faster usually and I always do a quick read through to absorb the general plot before reading slower a second time to pay attention too the details.
But you're taking the time to experience a story that makes you think and/or feel, whether it's verbal or written shouldn't matter.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Why wouldn't they count? It's the same story, just in a different format. I say go ahead and keep counting them toward your goal!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I used to be someone that what on the "no" side of this debate, but have since flipped to the other side. It is a very personal choice, but I now accept that it is simply the consumption of the same story in a different manner.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”