falling asleep while reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Re: falling asleep while reading

Post by prarich »

Books are the best way to get sleep. They relax the mind and set the mood for sleeping.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
M-Allmon
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-allmon.html

Post by M-Allmon »

Only because I've stayed up so late reading!
dlachance9
Favorite Author: Tom Robbins
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlachance9.html
Latest Review: "Warp and Weft" by Vinay Jalla
fav_author_id: 3036

Post by dlachance9 »

This happens to me a lot, and it really has nothing to do with the book, itself. I could be reading a real page-turner, but still find myself drifting off. I did end up purchasing a pair of reading glasses, and that has helped a bit. I must have been putting too much strain on my eyes, which led to fatigue.
Latest Review: "Warp and Weft" by Vinay Jalla
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

I once read a poem about this ... about the poet's experience kind of drifting to the surface to read a few lines, then submerged in a sea of sleep where he would most likely dream about the book ... then back up again ...
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
DianaChristie23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianachristie23.html

Post by DianaChristie23 »

Usually if I read in bed, I want to fall asleep so I just read my Nook on our red leather couch in the living room to stay awake. I am used to reading for hours in bed and sometimes I would read just to be able to fall asleep.
K_Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-robinson.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by K_Robinson »

If I ever get comfy in bed and start to read I generally end up falling asleep after a little while. This might be because I don't hop into bed until well after midnight on most nights :P
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
lera_elizabeth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lera-elizabeth.html

Post by lera_elizabeth »

I've fallen asleep reading text books for school, but when I read books I tend to stay awake
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

I often read to help me fall asleep at night. When I fall asleep while reading too quickly, or during the day, I know that means that either I need to go to bed earlier, or whatever I'm reading isn't interesting enough.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
lilmaus11

Post by lilmaus11 »

I've never fallen asleep reading, I get too stuck in my book I struggle to pull away and more often than not I end up daydreaming for a good 45 minutes when I go to bed about the book I've been reading
hopeingod

Post by hopeingod »

It depends upon where it is I'm sitting or relaxing. Each side of my leather couch at home reclines -- a comfort I dream of while at work. No matter what I'm doing, reading or watching a movie, I nod off while siitting there.
[nette]
Currently Reading: Splintered Trilogy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nette.html

Post by [nette] »

I feel like this would be the only way that I could get to sleep sometimes. Especially now that I only have 3 weeks let in my pregnancy, and sometimes finding a comfortable position to get to sleep, I will read a little and before I know it, I wake up and it is a brand new morning.
erudite_catalyst

Post by erudite_catalyst »

I usually fall asleep while reading when I am very tired and the material which I am reading needs a lot of logical thinking like scholarly journals and textbooks. Though I like reading those kinds of reading materials, I observed that my mind and eyes get easily tired when I'm reading those materials.

But if I am reading the different kind of book, I am relax and happy. When I am really into the book, I don't mind staying up late and finish the book....because I cannot sleep by then if I haven't fed my hunger for the whole story. I would make my mind wonder everywhere and make my own plot in my bed. :-) When that happens I am into my writing consciousness.
wendyj
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyj.html
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid

Post by wendyj »

It's an interesting problem. If I want to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon, reading will usually put me to sleep. I always read in bed so I usually fall asleep reading. If I wake up in the night, I read to fall back asleep. All of this backfires if I am in the middle of a really good book and it keeps me awake all night just to finish!

-- 08 Apr 2014, 10:40 --

It's an interesting problem. If I want to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon, reading will usually put me to sleep. I always read in bed so I usually fall asleep reading. If I wake up in the night, I read to fall back asleep. All of this backfires if I am in the middle of a really good book and it keeps me awake all night just to finish!
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid
krismags
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krismags.html
Latest Review: "Love to Believe" by Lisa Ricard Claro

Post by krismags »

The only book I can fall asleep while reading is my textbooks- any other book, I'll stay up all night by accident, even if it isn't that good. I just have to know how it ends, especially if it's a good book!
Latest Review: "Love to Believe" by Lisa Ricard Claro
MelisaB13

Post by MelisaB13 »

I don't think I've ever fallen asleep with a book in my hand and I read most every night. I read till I'm tired and then stop.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”