Over used things in YA books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Stand_tall
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stand-tall.html

Over used things in YA books

Post by Stand_tall »

I for one get tired of seeing the same type of girl in books. Sure it doesn't annoy me a lot but I sort of frustrates me that everyone has the use the same type of character in order to connect with the readers. The abilities of the character is what defines them and it's really not about their personality. I don't know.

What are some of the things that annoys you about YA book?
Cowabunga18
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowabunga18.html

Post by Cowabunga18 »

I agree. I think girls are portrayed as weak and in need of saving. Or they are hero's and cannot be loved.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Love triangle! I am getting tired of love triangle!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
FantasyWriter655
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fantasywriter655.html

Post by FantasyWriter655 »

- Unneeded romance: There could be this amazing plot that abruptly sneaks in a romance. It's not needed at all. But romance sells, so authors include it.
- Stereotypical vague female characters: The female characters have become so vague. It seems like the author wants to leave a space for the reader so they can jump into the story. That is great and all, but it leaves the female character without a determined personality. Their moods and tones jump all over the place, and they are never steadily defined as whoever they were intended to be.
- Romance in general: There aren't any new stories or ideas coming out. The revolution of new subjects for young adult books were replaced by romance, but each with a different twist, like they're dying, they're counter culture, one is a nerd, etc. It's been going on forever but I have especially seen it in the last five years.
- Dystopian: The Hunger Games caused a surge, and people can't let it go. Divergent was mediocre, Matched was just awful. The only good Dystopian fiction I've seen that is a flowing story with good characters was Delirium.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I, too, am fed up with dystopian future lit. I'm to the point where I won't even read it anymore! It disappoints me that this is such a common trope in YA books--it's like we're teaching kids to believe that their future is going to be horrible.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
seeker19
Currently Reading: The Trials of Apollo
Bookshelf Size: 506
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seeker19.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by seeker19 »

Another really annoying thing just to add to FantasyWriter655's point is insta-love. I'm totally fine with romance in the plot as long as it is secondary to the actual plot and is slow building over the series. I think that's what made the hunger games so good. The romance should slowly build, it shouldn't be the typical girl meets boy who makes her heart race and they fall in love after like 2 days of knowing each other and will fight the system so they can stay together. It's the most annoying plot line a book can have!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

I absolutely agree with dystopian futures being overused...way overused.

And am I the only one who thinks YA does not need anymore vampires/were-creatures/fey/trolls/fantasy creatures/hidden godchildren/aliens/paranormal/alternate universes/etc./etc./etc.?

Also, melodrama needs to be majorly cut down. Everything in life is NOT a life-or-death decision.

And fantasy/sci-fi in general desperately needs to be done with the zombies. Enough with the zombies already!
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

Whining in YA books. I cannot stand characters who spend time moaning about their hardships or indecision about who they fancy, I always like proactive and kick-ass attitude so much more.
brunettebiblio
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brunettebiblio.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by brunettebiblio »

INSTALOVE. There is so much instalove in YA books it's ridiculous. That's not at all to say you can't have characters fall in love, you absolutely can, but falling head over heels for someone immediately with no real reason other than that they're THERE is ridiculous to me.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Romance is not really written well in YA books, so I often find annoyance if there's even a hint of that stuff in them.
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

gali wrote: 17 Jul 2016, 01:36 Love triangle! I am getting tired of love triangle!
I completely agree, the love triangle is over-bearing.
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

WOOF where to begin.

love triangles, a girl "not like other girls" (as described both by herself and the average white teen boy crushing on her), parents who don't care, the depiction of mental illness, bad teen lingo, a distinct lack of diversity in the majority of books aimed at a ten audience, weak female characters, female characters hating eachother rather than supporting eachother, the bad boy (points if he's actually an absolutely awful guy), and, of course, the dystopian setting.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

My two biggest pet peeves would be the helpless heroine and the love triangle. Both of those make me crazy!
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I think the problem with dystopias is not so much that they're overdone but that it's always the same type of dystopia. It's always an evil dictatorship that is toppled by the righteous rebels and everyone lives happily ever after. In the real world people often end up worse off than they were before the revolution. Maybe make a story like that where people realize that destroying is easier than building. Or something else to change up the old formula.
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

Stand_tall wrote: 15 Jul 2016, 20:49 I for one get tired of seeing the same type of girl in books. Sure it doesn't annoy me a lot but I sort of frustrates me that everyone has the use the same type of character in order to connect with the readers. The abilities of the character is what defines them and it's really not about their personality. I don't know.

What are some of the things that annoys you about YA book?
Read Wheel of Time. Every girl is a carbon copy. It's very annoying.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”