A Clockwork Orange HELP

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ChillFil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon A Clockwork Orange HELP

Post by ChillFil »

Hello all,
I am a new member on here and this is my first post. I am a huge Stanley Kubrick fan; so I'll do away with the explaining of my interest in this book. I have a natural tendency for collecting, and love anything and everything vintage. My quest: Aquire the earliest copy of C.O. that I could find. Paperback was a personal preference. After spending some time on eBay; I come across this an awesome paperback (image attached).

The title of the auction read: "A CLOCKWORK ORANGE BY ANTHONY BURGESS, EARLY PB EDITION. VG CONDITION, 1ST ED.?".
The auction description had little info about the book itself apart from the condition. But most importantly it stated: "This is an early Norton Library edition", "First published in the Norton Library 1963. This is the only date on the copyright page"
I placed the first bid, three dollars. Morning of the next day, the bid of the auction was at $196.50 USD. No thanks.

Though I still very much wanted it. Franticly, I hunted online. Struck "gold", the price I paid, 1.52% of the "1ST ED.?", though still remained skeptical. Now, I attacked the two pictures I took of mine (front, inside).

The ISBN for my book is: 0-393-00224-1
Can anyone tell me what edition this is? And the story behind it?

Greatly appreciate the help!
Filip
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I haven't actually researched this book, but I suggest you see if Wikipedia has any information about it. I have seen entries about books there that included lists of publishers with dates and ISBNs.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
ChillFil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ChillFil »

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately Wikipedia further confuses the search. The hardcover version of this edition, by the Norton Library is the first publishing of Clockwork in the U.S.A. This paperback seems very rare. A fellow eBayer and I are both trying to figure out the exact date of publication on this piece. Any help greatly appreciated!

Thank you, Filip

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”