Sometimes A Book Is So Good That It's Hard to Review

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
AishaTBN
Currently Reading: The Thousand Nights And One Night
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishatbn.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Icon Sometimes A Book Is So Good That It's Hard to Review

Post by AishaTBN »

I don't know if this happens with anyone else but it happened with me a few times. I read a few books that I loved and enjoyed so much that it was difficult to explain them in words. Like anytime a friend would see me reading that book and if they would ask what is it about, I really wouldn't know what to say.

Has this happened with anyone else? :?
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I have had this happen, but it was a long time ago ;-). What worked for me was to say that I loved so much about the book that I wasn't sure what to tell my friend--and then I would suggest that we discussed the book once the friend started reading it. Sometimes the friend would ask specific questions that I could answer--"Is it a really long book?"--and that would help them decide if they wanted to read it.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
AishaTBN

Post by AishaTBN »

MsMartha wrote:I have had this happen, but it was a long time ago ;-). What worked for me was to say that I loved so much about the book that I wasn't sure what to tell my friend--and then I would suggest that we discussed the book once the friend started reading it. Sometimes the friend would ask specific questions that I could answer--"Is it a really long book?"--and that would help them decide if they wanted to read it.
Yes that seems like a good idea :)
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Sometimes a book has so many good points that it's hard to sum them up. I have had this problem before, and it usually takes a lot of thought before I can put my opinions into words.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I have problems with books I dislike. I really find it hard to specifically write down points that I hated without giving spoilers or seeming rude.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I have had this problem before. Sometimes I like a book so much, I just don't know how to describe it without giving too much away. This is especially true when a book is really well put together- when everything clicks it is so hard to pick just a few things to say about it.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
AishaTBN

Post by AishaTBN »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Sometimes a book has so many good points that it's hard to sum them up. I have had this problem before, and it usually takes a lot of thought before I can put my opinions into words.
Exactly my feelings

-- 22 Jun 2016, 15:37 --
Booky_BettyC wrote:I have problems with books I dislike. I really find it hard to specifically write down points that I hated without giving spoilers or seeming rude.
Yes I have faced that too. Especially when an author sends you their book. I feel more bound to not be rude but then I also want to be honest to my readers so there comes this big confusion.

-- 22 Jun 2016, 15:39 --
barb429 wrote:I have had this problem before. Sometimes I like a book so much, I just don't know how to describe it without giving too much away. This is especially true when a book is really well put together- when everything clicks it is so hard to pick just a few things to say about it.
Yes, once I liked a book so much and it was sent to me by a publishing company and by mistake I had given out some parts which were supposed to be kept a mystery. When that mistake was pointed out I had to quickly edit my work.
Sakuko
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sakuko »

Yeah, I can relate. If I really like a book completely I find it hard to put in words. I've always been better at pointing out the flaws.

And a favorite book isn't so much about why it's good, it just clicks right with you, and I find it hard to filter the objective merits out of that feeling.
AishaTBN

Post by AishaTBN »

Sakuko wrote:Yeah, I can relate. If I really like a book completely I find it hard to put in words. I've always been better at pointing out the flaws.

And a favorite book isn't so much about why it's good, it just clicks right with you, and I find it hard to filter the objective merits out of that feeling.
True
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Yes...I agree with this, it happens a lot, I just end up telling the person to read it first and we can discuss based on what the person has read.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Tell me about it. When a book is bad it's much easier for me to just go, "X, Y and Z really sucked about it." But when there's nothing to really complain about I go, "Umm ... it was good," and I can't figure out how to stretch that into a full-fledged review. I feel that once you say, "There were no flaws," there's nothing else left to say.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

I just had this problem. I finished the book and all I could say at the end was 'Wow'. I could have written a book myself just to express all the different emotions I felt reading the book. To then have to condense all these feelings, in addition to outlining the themes and giving a critique, into a length suitable for a review was extremely challenging.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

It happens all the time with me. I get so excited about the novel that it gets hard to talk about it. You want to share as much as you can. But you also do not want to ruin the book for other people.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”