Do you find time to read when you are a mom to a newborn?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Do you find time to read when you are a mom to a newborn?

Post by lily_kh87 »

I love reading a lot. I used to read all the time. But since I gave birth to my cute little baby boy I find it hard to have enough time as I used to have before. Between my work, my husband, my house and of course my little one, I struggle to have the peace and quiet I need while reading. Recently I decided to become a stay-at-home mom. That was a hard decision but my baby needed me more, so now I have more time to read especially when my little angel is having a nap. :D I'd love to hear experiences from other moms who loves reading.
missycandy
Currently Reading: Life of Pi
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missycandy.html

Post by missycandy »

I have a 3 month old and at first it was really hard to get time but now I mange to fit it in between him napping and my house work :D
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

I had my daughter October 2015. She is now 8 months old and I have read more than ever. I chose to be a stay at home mom 2 months into my maternity leave and it was the best decision I ever made because I have gotten so much time with our little girl. I read about 1-2 books a week! I am in 2 separate book clubs outside of this site and am also doing reviews here also. I read in the mornings while she is playing and I am drinking coffee (it's my morning me time) but sometimes she sleeps in for me which is nice. I also read during her nap times as well as listen to audiobooks while I am cleaning, walking or running with my little bit, or driving in the car and she falls asleep. Lastly, I read while she nurses. This is when my kindle app on my phone becomes glorious! It's great! Reading is the one thing that keeps me sane since being a stay at home mom.

I hope you're able to find more time for reading. I promise it's doable! Just have to get a routine down :D
Also, congrats on your new bundle of joy! They are so much fun and worth all the work that comes with being a stay at home mom!
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:

Post by lily_kh87 »

missycandy wrote:I have a 3 month old and at first it was really hard to get time but now I mange to fit it in between him napping and my house work :D
First congrats on your new baby :D Yes it gets easier with time. I only managed when I decided to stay at home, but when I was working 8 hours I didn't have time for a shower :lol2:

-- 21 Jun 2016, 20:44 --
adria_charles wrote:I read about 1-2 books a week! I am in 2 separate book clubs outside of this site and am also doing reviews here also. I read in the mornings while she is playing and I am drinking coffee (it's my morning me time) but sometimes she sleeps in for me which is nice. I also read during her nap times as well as listen to audiobooks while I am cleaning, walking or running with my little bit, or driving in the car and she falls asleep. Lastly, I read while she nurses. This is when my kindle app on my phone becomes glorious!
Wow! You seem like a super mom :D I started reading again after my decision to stay at home. I do it while my baby is sleeping. I tried to read while nursing but I didn't feel comfortable :doh:
Zane136
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4">Easy</a>
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zane136.html

Post by Zane136 »

I'm really impressed and inspired by Adria, her passion for reading is simply commendable. I too have toddler but I only reached out for my books when she is sleeping and I can't read a book in short breaks . I'm very curious by nature and when it comes to books I need to finish a book in one sitting. So a nice book and unwavering attention is something which I appreciate the most
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

When my son was a baby, I found it very difficult to squeeze in time for reading. Little babies require so much attention, and when you also factor in all of your other obligations, finding time for your hobbies can be nigh impossible. That stage in a child's life passes by so quickly, though, and at the time I didn't miss reading like I thought I would because I was too busy to give it much thought!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

Yes! I did have plenty of time to read. Like another person mentioned, the Kindle App is great for reading while nursing. My son always fell asleep after nursing so he would just nap on my lap and I read. Very relaxing actually.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

I read only 3 or 4 books per year for the first 9 years after I had kids. I know that sounds like bad news! I'm not very good at making time for myself and I work full time. You don't have to be me! I think you have to prioritize it over other things - easier said than done! I've once again found time to read by taking public transit to work. This allows me to read about 1 book per week and write reviews for this site. Splendid! We all have to find ways to do the things we enjoy. Good luck to you and enjoy your wee babe.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I have been a stay at home mom for almost 5 years with a short stint as a Certified Medical Assistant( pay wasn't good, Dr was discriminatory, and the pay just wasn't what it should have been for having gone to school), I am a mom to three under school age children and if I didn't find time to read and lose myself in a book, I'd go nuts! I love my babies more than everything but reading is a good way to wind down.

Megwe85 - That is what I did with all three of mine as well! It was so peaceful sometimes I'd fall asleep with the book/kindle in one hand and a baby in the other! :lol:
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

My boys are older now, but I remember those days clearly. A few things helped.

Our first baby was a very fussy newborn. I read a lot while holding him. As he got older... I just read out loud. My husband did then (and still does) reading aloud with our children, but he read traditional children's books. I, on he other hand, just read aloud from whatever I wanted to read at the time, so my baby got doses of suspense, science fiction, mysteries, and a decent spattering of non-fiction.

To be honest, it was more challenging to read what *I* wanted when we had more children - the new baby might not care what I read, but my older child had grown to have his own ideas about what we should be reading. So, for a few years, I did not get to spend all of my precious reading time in what *i* wanted to read, but I think the investment was worth it.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:

Post by lily_kh87 »

Zane136 wrote:I'm really impressed and inspired by Adria, her passion for reading is simply commendable. I too have toddler but I only reached out for my books when she is sleeping and I can't read a book in short breaks . I'm very curious by nature and when it comes to books I need to finish a book in one sitting. So a nice book and unwavering attention is something which I appreciate the most
Yes, I totally understand that. I do not like to be interrupted while reading, but that's a thing I'm going to live with after being a mom :D

-- 13 Oct 2016, 20:27 --
LivreAmour217 wrote:When my son was a baby, I found it very difficult to squeeze in time for reading. Little babies require so much attention, and when you also factor in all of your other obligations, finding time for your hobbies can be nigh impossible. That stage in a child's life passes by so quickly, though, and at the time I didn't miss reading like I thought I would because I was too busy to give it much thought!
You are absolutely right! Time really passes so quickly. My little boy is now 10 months and now things started to get better as I have more time for myself.
Tiff-thebookworm
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiff-thebookworm.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Tiff-thebookworm »

Congratualtions on you addition to your family. My son is now 5 1/2 and I tired to hard to read when he was first born however the moment I read the first sentence I dozed off. I tried to read when he slept but that was impossible. My advice would be to have an ear bud in and pull up audible while you are feeding them or cleaning or anything along those lines.
Though I walk by day, I treasure my nights with you.
lynnfoley7
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynnfoley7.html

Post by lynnfoley7 »

It's been a long time since I had a newborn, but I read while breastfeeding. I had to sit then, and I always felt like I had to race around the house to get things done when babies were napping.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

The first year of each of my kids lives were definitely slow reading times........ but I read a lot when pregnant since I was on bedrest for months with each.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
mrsdeg1983
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsdeg1983.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mrsdeg1983 »

Yes. When I was healing I had everything in one room cause I tore my stitches. So I had nothing to do besides feed baby and read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”