How Do You Find New Authors?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
dakimmel
Bookshelf Size: 31

How Do You Find New Authors?

Post by dakimmel »

I'm a new indie author (don't worry-not tryng to SPAM anyone), just trying to get a reader's perspective on how you find/trust new authors. Do you browse for interesting book covers? Look for high star ratings? Check out reader reviews? Read sample pages? A combo of all the above? Something else? I'm quite curious as to how others find new talented authors. Thanks!!
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I typically find new authors through goodreads.com or from friends. I find the best way to try a new author is from reading sample pages. Many people find reviews to be important, but I find that if the summary, sample pages, and cover seem interesting then I can over look a low rating.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I find them through here, recommendations from friends, reviews. I also browse for interesting book covers and read summary and sample pages.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Definitely here is a big influence on finding new authors and books! Covers make a big impression for me. I know you shouldn't 'judge a book by its cover', but that's the first thing I see. If the cover is illustrated well and of good quality, most times I will give the summary a try. Once I read the summary, and if it's still interesting, I will look at the ratings to make a better judgment. I will typical peruse the reviews attached to these ratings to get a better feel of the book. Lastly, recommendations from friends usually influences the books I read.

Hope this helps! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
dakimmel

Post by dakimmel »

Great info! Thanks everyone!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Everything from browsing shelves, to searching for subjects on Amazon, which is how I found Splintered a year before it came out.
Being here has introduced me to some new authors.
I have a few blogs I trust, but I still try to get several opinions.

Also, you listed sample pages: YES!!!
I love finding a sample, be it a few pages, a whole chapter, or even a couple paragraphs from somewhere in the middle! I love having that chance to get the feel of an author's style.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
dakimmel

Post by dakimmel »

Awesome! Thanks!
sarahestudies
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahestudies.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by sarahestudies »

I typically base my willingness to invest in an author by their descriptions of their stories/novels. Covers definitely help as well!
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith

Post by Shelle »

I like picking up books from the library's (or independent bookstore's) 'Recommended by Staff' display. I find that if a staff member is willing to put their name behind a recommendation, it's going to be really good. Also, I love searching "new books" on Pinterest and seeing what pops up. I discovered some gems that way.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
LauraBeth0625
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurabeth0625.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LauraBeth0625 »

I like Pinterest also for new authors. I love random authors that are not as popular yet. Don't get me wrong, I do love big name authors, but I like to read the low key books too. And then I have a few websites that give me free books everyday and find some good ones on there also.
ameliadavid
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ameliadavid.html

Post by ameliadavid »

I love to read and one of the easiest ways I use to find new authors is by googling the latest books released.
Each site like goodreads gives you a description of the book and author s works.
MrsOzera
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsozera.html

Post by MrsOzera »

I think I get most of my ideas from BookTube and Goodreads :) a lot of my favorite book reviewers are on there and recommend amazing stuff, especially cause I love young/new adult
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

hsimone wrote:Definitely here is a big influence on finding new authors and books! Covers make a big impression for me. I know you shouldn't 'judge a book by its cover', but that's the first thing I see. If the cover is illustrated well and of good quality, most times I will give the summary a try. Once I read the summary, and if it's still interesting, I will look at the ratings to make a better judgment. I will typical peruse the reviews attached to these ratings to get a better feel of the book. Lastly, recommendations from friends usually influences the books I read.

Hope this helps! :)
I agree. I find all of my indie authors through this site and the recommendations by reviewers. I also find covers to be a huge deciding factor. If the cover does not look polished it makes me wonder how much effort the author put into the book. The cover is a first impression. I look at ratings and then descriptions before making my decision. I read sample pages rarely if it is a book from a traditional publishing source. I get a lot of books from my local library and I do use goodreads as a resource for book recommendations based on what I have read and rated highly before.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder

Post by Mike_Lang »

Usually through suggestions from friends or sometimes from recommendations based on other books I've read in the same genre. Sometimes a newer author will offer a review copy to specific groups (genre specific - like mystery reader groups) in exchange for a review and I will take advantage of that if the book sparks my interest.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
sarahmeeks
Currently Reading: Outside The Ropes

Post by sarahmeeks »

I usually find them by their free promotions on my Kindle. I always try a free one first and if I like the author I will buy their other ones.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”