Don't stop until you drop

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Scarlet22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Don't stop until you drop

Post by Scarlet22 »

I always loved to read books from the moment I first went to the library. I would check out 5 books a day if I could. However, as a child one can only go so often when you live 10 miles away from the library. The distance never stopped me from trying. I would sit in on the floor and the the hours pass as I would finish one book to after the next. Has that ever become a problem for anyone? Not putting the book down until it's done?
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Oh yes Scarlet22. Many times I have started reading a book in the evening and then looked at the clock and it was 2am in the morning. If I am really enjoying a book I'm reading, and don't have any distractions, I find it very hard to put it down. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This happened to me quite a bit before I became a mother. There's nothing quite like having an open schedule and a stack of unread books!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

LivreAmour217 wrote:This happened to me quite a bit before I became a mother. There's nothing quite like having an open schedule and a stack of unread books!
Me too. Now I don't have the time to read for hours. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kimberly33
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberly33.html

Post by Kimberly33 »

I will still lose track of time if it's a good read and I'm 75% done. Sometimes I just need to see how it ends!
agreenwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agreenwood.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by agreenwood »

I would agree with @LivreAmour217 and say that before I became a mother I would spend Saturday's sitting on our back deck and reading. I would get through the majority of a book and have to know how it ended, or just have a difficult time putting it down. Nowadays, it's more difficult to even find time to read.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

LivreAmour217 wrote:This happened to me quite a bit before I became a mother. There's nothing quite like having an open schedule and a stack of unread books!

I agree! Now, it only happens once in a blue moon when my husband makes me take a break to relax. Even then I still manage to get distracted if the book I'm reading just isn't one of those that sucks you in and refuses to let go.
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by kitsune1997 »

Oh many times! Sometimes mom had to take the book from my hands because it had gone too late. Doesnt mean I ever stopped though
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

There have been many nights where I haven't wanted to put down my current book. Nearly always happens near the end of one of the books I'm reading. Eyes cutting over to the alarm clock every so often as I read into the night, sometimes calculating just how much sleep I can't do without and still be functional the next day.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
jungkookblog
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jungkookblog.html

Post by jungkookblog »

Yes! Its extremely difficult if its really addicting and the plot is good.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

Oh yes! I have looked up at the clock and wondered where the day went. I don't get to read like that as much now as an adult but when I was a kid especially during summer vacation I would read everything our small town library had to offer. I also lived a long way from the library so it was awful if I ran out of something to read before my mom had time to take me back.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

Yes! I feel that on so many levels! When I'm really immersed in a book and the book is super interesting, you would bet I'm spending most of my time just reading the book nonstop and forgetting about homework :/
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

I have to say that one of the best feelings in the entire world for me is to find a book that is so captivating that I can't put it down. I have found countless times where I will be reading and notice that two hours have gone by, especially at night while I am in bed. It's crazy, but it's almost like a new love when I am reading a book like this. When I am not reading it I fantasize about the story and am itching to pick the book up again. There have been only a few books, though, that I have finished in a single day because I read the book continuously until I was done with it. Those were my younger years though, when I was living at home and didn't have the responsibilities I do now.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

Exactly! Being a mother means you can't have so many hours for yourself. I'm lucky to read 20 pages without interruption.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Yes! I remember especially when I was in high school/middle school I had a major problem getting sleep because I would always stay up late into the night trying to finish a book! Nowadays I think I get depressed because I have to be a responsible adult and can't stay up all hours into the night reading :oops:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”