Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
messina1104
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 872
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-messina1104.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by messina1104 »

I've gotten to the point in my life where a book is only temporary. I rarely keep many of them. I tend to do a lot of book swapping, so to keep postage down, paperback is usually preferred, but early on in my reading life, I used to belong to numerous book clubs and most of those were hardcovers when I was dreaming of having a big house with a separate library to peruse. Once reality hit and I realized I don't have the time to read and reread all of those books, I started looking for ways to minimize space taken up. You can pack a lot of paperbacks onto a standard bookshelf. :) Also, now with e-books, I don't feel I need to really keep the physical books as much. I still keep some of the classics in hardcover that I may pass on to my kids at some point.
Therapy_Reader
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-therapy-reader.html

Post by Therapy_Reader »

I like both, but I do prefer to have all the same if I have a series. Honestly most of the time I go for whichever is cheaper.
Pam966
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pam966.html

Post by Pam966 »

I have both and prefer paperback if I am taking a book with me somewhere, it is just easier to haul around. I do love my hardback books though, they seem to "keep" better if you know what I mean. My son got me a beautiful leather bound set of the JRR Tolkien books and I absolutely love them.
RubyD
Currently Reading: With His Lady's Assistance
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubyd.html

Post by RubyD »

I prefer paperback as they are easier to maneuver in all of my comfortable reading positions. They may tear up easier but you can also tell a good book if it's cover is worn :) a paperback book loved and read well shows.
Stephanieskye16
Currently Reading: After the Fire
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanieskye16.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Stephanieskye16 »

I like both. I've been going more for hardcovers lately though, i think they look nicer in my book collection:)
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Asheree13

Post by Asheree13 »

I love paperbacks to read and hardcover for the bookshelf.
Liz-Lou-Legg
Currently Reading: In Love With A Haunted House
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Liz-Lou-Legg »

I love both, a paper back is good for if your traveling, a hardback has more weight to it and can make the story feel more important when you feel the weight of the book, almost as if the weight of the story is what makes it heavy and not the materials is was made with. There are times I have read a hardback lying in my bed and have managed to drop in on my face and found myself wishing I had decided to read a paperback instead.
carol_klavon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Goddess</a>
Currently Reading: The Future Has An Ancient Heart
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by carol_klavon »

I love paperback mainly because they are easier to carry (they tend to be lighter in weight). They also cost last than hardbound.
Bgreenohio

Post by Bgreenohio »

I prefer paperback books. I like to sit in my comfy chair and read and paperback is much easier when you're trying to get comfy !
Ororo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ororo.html

Post by Ororo »

I prefer paperback when I'm reading but only buy hardcover for my collection.
Melaki
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melaki.html

Post by Melaki »

I like paperbacks because I can easily stick them in my purse or bag, although, I hate the fact that they can get torn up real easily. I have back problems, so carrying around a heavy hardback book is kind of difficult.
mrssettlemyer

Post by mrssettlemyer »

Paperback, definitely! I like the flexibility of the book.
Kathyoxford

Post by Kathyoxford »

I read so much that I purchase most of my books in ePub format. However, series that I love and know I'm going to read over and over again I buy them in hardback.
griff15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-griff15.html

Post by griff15 »

If I had to choose between just those 2 options I would choose hardcover. The reason being because I can throw them into a bag or my purse to take with me wherever I go and not have to worry about whether or not I'm going to rip the cover or bend the book up. I personally though right now use my e-reader more then anything because it's super easy to take a long and much more durable.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Hardcover! It's more convenient to carry without the spine bending and getting too ruined. Also, I feel a sense of comfort from the texture by comparison to paperback. :techie-studyingbrown:
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”