Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
krisha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by krisha »

It has to be paperback. Hardcovers are too bulky and too expensive. I love being able to bend the spine of a paperback back too (cardinal sin in some people's eyes, I know). I enjoy seeing the ridges it creates on the spine - it serves as a little reminder of the journey you have taken with that book. You just don't get that with a hardcover.

Perhaps the issue now though is less paperback or hardcover and more "real book or e-book"?!
new_romantic

Post by new_romantic »

It definitely has to be hardback. I have an OCD when it comes to how a book should sit when it's not being read... Weird I know :)
El_greco

Post by El_greco »

Hardback, if i can afford it. It lasts longer + looks better on the shelf and i have a feeling i'm carrying something worthwhile in my hands.
‎"Sounds to me like Anthony junior may have stumbled on to existentialism." - " f****g' internet..."
wall-e54
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Help

Post by wall-e54 »

Paperback because it's cheaper but if it's a book I know I'll read over and over, I'll usually get a hard back. But then again, ebooks are pretty cheap over all, won't rip and travel well so those are my favs.
Zepher07
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Alices Adventures in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The Hound of the Baskervilles
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Zepher07 »

I love hard cover. I destroy paperbacks because I take my books everywhere. I like the feel of a hardcover. A good solid book. Still the paper backs are easier to carry and I do a lot of walking.
Pyhimys

Post by Pyhimys »

I don't have a problem reading a paperback even though I prefer hardcovers. As has been said already, they last a lot longer, I loooove the feeling of holding a hardcover in my hands and in my opinion they're easier to keep open if I'm for instance lying on my bed reading it. I mostly buy my books from flea markets, and there they are cheap and hardcover. If I'm buying from a book shop, then I go for paperbacks.
Betty Haynes 813

Post by Betty Haynes 813 »

I will go with either. I get my books from the library so whatever they have available is good for me.
the doctor

Post by the doctor »

I much prefer paper back and will always look for that version at the library's or shops. Hardcovers are heavy, bulky and clumsy to read. I especially hate the ones with the paper wrapped around them!

The only thing they're goo for is to decorate your bookshelf and make u look more intellectual :)
dogeared

Post by dogeared »

I'm torn between both. I like a paperbacks ease of travel. I enjoy the character of a paperback with all the spine creases and dogeared pages. I like to think of the next person who will read it and how they will not be able to help but wonder who made it that way. As for hardcovers they have some great traits as well. The feel and weight of hardcover in your hands makes you feel a little more hardcore then the other guy. They also look far better on a shelf. All the books that mean something to me I have in both. The paperbacks for most of the reading and the hardcovers for the collection I will hopefully pass on to my grand kids some day.
Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

I used to prefer hardcover, but I've come to read more as I've gotten older and I often read outside of my home (coffee shops and such). Hardcover became less practical, so now I prefer soft.
Mrs_Britt
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Favorite Book: Green Rider
Currently Reading: Tarnsman of Gor
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Mrs_Britt »

Paperback! I try to not buy hardcovers unless i have to ie when the book first comes out. They are small easier to hold and smell much better.
chrismax85

Post by chrismax85 »

I like Hardbacks because they are more durable and dont bend or rip but I just pick which ever one is at the store or if i buy offline then i just pick the cheapest but I like hardbacks better. I think they look nicer also.
TLESLIE89

Post by TLESLIE89 »

Hardcover all the way.
Laura_Timmins

Post by Laura_Timmins »

I get all my books from the library so whatever they have, but prefer to hold a paperback and not as heavy!
KirkB
Favorite Author: Kurt Vonnegut
Favorite Book: Galapagos
Currently Reading: Michael Pollan The Omnivores Dilemma
fav_author_id: 2721

Post by KirkB »

If they are sitting going to be sitting on the bookcase I prefer the hardcover, although I won't buy a series or favorite book in hardcover until it is a few years old when the price drops. For portability, paperbacks are the way to go. Although, if I'm really anticipating the next book in a series and can't wait for it to come out one paperback I will buy the hardcover.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”