Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Nina B
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-b.html
Reading Device: B00OZTU156

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by Nina B »

I usually get paperbacks because they're a bit cheaper, but if I get the first book in the series as a hard cover unless I can't find it for some reason....I like my series to match
Rmor2189
Currently Reading: The Ugly Duchess
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rmor2189 »

Hardcover is the best because it doesn't bend easily and last longer than paperback.
GrizzlyBear
Currently Reading: The Accidental Tourist
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by GrizzlyBear »

For decades I collected books, both hardcover and soft, but my shelves were overflowing. My then new husband requested I cull some and find them good homes. I'm down to a manageable amount now, neat and orderly, and old favorites still observe me from their vantage points, enticing me to caress their familiar faces, whistfully recalling their secret passages leading to shared memories. But when I travel, I opt for ebooks, because I have more time to read on planes or trains, or while relaxing around a pool, and I can carry ten as easily as carrying one on my Kindle.
Mika83
Currently Reading: The Golem and The Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by Mika83 »

Decodemymessage wrote:Which do you prefer? I am neutral and have both. Lol. When ever I get a series though I tend to get them all in paperback or hardcover. I know... I'm a snob. :roll: :lol:
I buy used books sometimes and take what I can get, but I prefer paperback to hardback because it doesn't strain my writsts to hold it. This is where my Kindle trumps both, but I still like to have a paperback in progress at all times. Easier to pick up and put down.
bibliophile99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile99.html

Post by bibliophile99 »

I prefer soft cover becouse when i read, alot of the time i dont have a table or flat surface handy so the book ends up on my thight or in my hands, so paper backs make it easier to read on the go and in bed becouse they mold to my hands and whatever suface i put them on, and they travel better.
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Christine_B »

If I have to choose I wouldn't be able to there are pros and cons for each.

Paperback are easier to hold and aren't as heavy but they tend to get bent if you put them down in the wrong way of it's in your purse.

Hardcovers stay nice but they get heavy after a while and are big when you want to put them in your purse and they aren't as easy to hold open if the book has a lot of pages.

I tend to be more an ebook reading this days cuz it's on my phone and my phone is always with me.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
ladyace74
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyace74.html

Post by ladyace74 »

I usually get paperback but prefer hardcover since I usually mess up my paperbacks but they are soo heavy :(
zumanajim
Currently Reading: Allies of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zumanajim.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by zumanajim »

Paperback is cheaper but hardcover last longer and doesn't Bent or get torn
LaLaNavi
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lalanavi.html

Post by LaLaNavi »

I would rather read a hardcover. I like to lie down when reading so when I read a paperback I always somehow drop the book and lose my page.
AbbieLu
Favorite Author: C.S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Thirteenth Tale
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by AbbieLu »

It is so hard to choose. I also love them both, and it really depends on the books itself. It depends on the style, the size, what the pages are like, and so much more. I will say though that if I have a series and one book is hard/soft they all have to match!
readitwrite02

Post by readitwrite02 »

I prefer Paerback books for a couple of reasons:

1. They're smaller and easier to carry around (i.e. in my purse or luggage).
2. Since they are usually smaller in size and less bulky, it's easier to flip pages.
3. They're usually cheaper than Hardcover.
4. They're cheaper to ship in/out than Hardcover.
5. I can fit more books in my library by buying Paperback than Hardcover.

I'm sure there are other reasons that I am just not thinking of right now.

☆readitwrite02

-- 29 Nov 2015, 08:19 --

I prefer Paerback books for a couple of reasons:

1. They're smaller and easier to carry around (i.e. in my purse or luggage).
2. Since they are usually smaller in size and less bulky, it's easier to flip pages.
3. They're usually cheaper than Hardcover.
4. They're cheaper to ship in/out than Hardcover.
5. I can fit more books in my library by buying Paperback than Hardcover.

I'm sure there are other reasons that I am just not thinking of right now.

☆readitwrite02
Andreaj1911
Currently Reading: Big Little Lies
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andreaj1911.html

Post by Andreaj1911 »

I love paperbacks as often hardbacks are too heavy in my bag. Also I sometimes fall asleep when reading in bed and a hardback really hurts! :shock:
kpaasch26
Currently Reading: Those Who Wish Me Dead
Bookshelf Size: 149

Post by kpaasch26 »

It does not matter much to me, but however, I may tend to get paperback books most of the time. I just get whatever there is. I honestly prefer paperbacks and hardbacks over e-books. I cannot stand reading e-book, they do not feel the same. I am old fashioned with my books. I need to have an actual book in my hands, I need to feel the weight of the book in my hands!
BayleetheBookworm
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bayleethebookworm.html

Post by BayleetheBookworm »

I don't really care (reading is reading no matter how you do it) but deep down I prefer hardcover unless I'm traveling, then I prefer paperbacks. When I'm reading a book I usually bring it with me everywhere, you never know when you will get a few extra down minutes, and hardcovers can get heavy sometimes (especially if it's a thick/long book) which is a downside.
Jmcghee723
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmcghee723.html

Post by Jmcghee723 »

Paperback seems easier but hardback looks better on the shelf:)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”