Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
kautetastic
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by kautetastic »

Most definately a hardcover. It not only last longer but it's better to stack on book shelves!
CorkyReedWatt
Favorite Author: John Irving
Favorite Book: A Prayer for Owen Meany
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corkyreedwatt.html
fav_author_id: 2417
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder

Post by CorkyReedWatt »

Paperback is easier to handle, but sometimes to save money, the publishers make the print too small. I prefer a bigger book with larger print (at least 11-point) with good white space -- or an eBook. For the classics, I generally prefer hard covers. Corky
Mskitalj-07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mskitalj-07.html

Post by Mskitalj-07 »

I would prefer a paperback book, because it's easier to deal with, but I do have hardcover books and they are great too! :D :D :D
lee_jeanjean29

Post by lee_jeanjean29 »

I like both hardcover and paperback books, to me the more important part is the actual content of the book. However, if it is a series that I really enjoy and have started collecting, I would try to get the set in hardcover.
kimcar12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimcar12.html

Post by kimcar12 »

Paperback, Hardcover, or E-Book? Now that is the question. I was so used to paperback that I loathed the idea of reading an e-book. I wanted to have the feeling of holding a book and turning the pages in my hands. I started reading e-books because I wanted the easy quick access to a book without having to go to a store/library when I already had so many errands to do or was at home late at night. Without realizing it I slowly became an e-book convert. Now it's my preferred reading method.
thereadingpanda
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thereadingpanda.html

Post by thereadingpanda »

I prefer hardcover books to paperbacks, but I actually love ebooks for how convenient they are
Mimisreads_23
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimisreads-23.html

Post by Mimisreads_23 »

I prefer paperback even though when I start a series I like to read the series either in all paperback or all hardcover... but if it was paperback and hardcover vs e-book I would choose paperback and hardcover any day
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

Paperback for sure - much easier to tuck in your bag and lighter too. Hardcovers do last longer, but then if you want a really long-lasting book you could buy the electronic version. That will last a lifetime.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
swimmerchick29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swimmerchick29.html

Post by swimmerchick29 »

I like paperbacks, it is just a shame that they rip and bend so easily. Hard cover is nice because after you're done reading, the book will still be in a good condition. And I have a big purse so hard covers can fit in there :)
rachelreads98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelreads98.html

Post by rachelreads98 »

This is a hard question. Paperback because it's cheaper usually but hardcover because it stays in better condition for longer and it looks nicer. I don't even have my series' in all one format because i end up buying the first books in paperback and when the newest one comes out it's only in hardcover so I buy it and I hate that they aren't in the same format but it's more important to me that I have a complete series than it being in the same format.
booksandlatte
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandlatte.html

Post by booksandlatte »

I prefer hardcovers and I'm a little obsessive about it, I won't buy paperback books unless that's the only available form of the book. I will borrow a paperback from the library and I have tons of paperback review copies but if I have a choice its hardcover without a doubt.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Paperback for me because they are cheaper, lighter, take up less space, and are easier to hold.
But mostly I prefer my Kindle!
Amy-Matthews

Post by Amy-Matthews »

I love hardbacks because they seem a lot more sturdier and more regal for some reason but I find it hard to read hardbacks from a comfort point of view so I shall go with paperbacks but hardbacks are so beautiful.
ktfrank04
Currently Reading: Wizard and Glass - Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktfrank04.html

Post by ktfrank04 »

Paperback for sure! Hardbacks are too restrictive, I like the way a paperback will bend to my needs while reading in different positions. Plus they seem more welcoming, is that weird?
1destiny2014

Post by 1destiny2014 »

I like them both! It depends on the books size and if i am traveling or not. I like hard covers for smaller books and paperbacks for the larger ones. In my experience the hard covered bigger books tend to loose pages easier than the soft covers and the small soft covers get damaged too easily verses the bigger soft cover books.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”