Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
lucy_borland
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-borland.html

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by lucy_borland »

I feel like it is much easier to relax with a paperback book. You can sprawl on your bed, fold it in half, use one hand. On the other hand, I agree with not being able to wait for a book to be printed paperback.
tabu111
Currently Reading:

Post by tabu111 »

With my health issues I lean toward my e-reader now. Although when I come across a good series I prefer hard copies that way I can pass them off to my adult children to read as well. Hardcover books are more durable then paperbacks.
Jill D
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jill-d.html

Post by Jill D »

I love hardcover books and for those that i will keep in my library...hardcover......but travel alot and then I bring paperback..when i am finished, i sign and date it and pass it along to any free exchange library I run into and take another book to read..I love the idea that my book is out there for others to enjoy. :)
tannes

Post by tannes »

I like both. I have all the Harry Potter books in hardback and Clive Cusler in Paperback,
Shad754

Post by Shad754 »

For me it's hardcover. I hate paperbacks. Hardcovers are more durable, last longer and look pretty on your bookshelf.
Nicolespada4a

Post by Nicolespada4a »

As long as they all match ( if they are a series) it makes no difference to me
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

Jill D wrote:I love hardcover books and for those that i will keep in my library...hardcover......but travel alot and then I bring paperback..when i am finished, i sign and date it and pass it along to any free exchange library I run into and take another book to read..I love the idea that my book is out there for others to enjoy. :)
I trade/donate books all the time, Jill. I never once thought of signing and dating them. What a great idea. Whoever gets your copy will appreciate that little detail as well; whenever I've come across a signed & dated copy of a book, I've often wondered about the person and what their story was. Especially the ones that were dedicated to someone else, you just know that there is a special meaning behind it. We are very similar in this way. I usually keep my hardcover books in my library, those of course are the ones I keep. The others I donate, trade, or give away.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
deelea_16
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by deelea_16 »

I am not too picky. I tried to read a book the other night on my kids tablet but it was not the same as holding a book in your hand. I buy paper back books most but that is mainly because they are cheaper. When you are raising 4 children you have to pinch pennies anywhere you can. :)
Booklover243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover243.html

Post by Booklover243 »

I am now and forever perhaps, a hardcover type person. I've always wanted to collect all my favorite books in hardcover and build my own personal library. I might seem old fashioned, but I want one in my house
NothingOkGrey
Favorite Author: Daniel Handler
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Late Starters Orchestra
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nothingokgrey.html
fav_author_id: 3229

Post by NothingOkGrey »

I prefer paperback usually. Their cheaper and easier to bring around with me.
Kinga
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinga.html

Post by Kinga »

Both. It depends on by budget at that particular moment. If I have enough money for spending on anything, I will definitely buy hardcover, if I have "limited" money, I will buy paperback.
BlaqkViolette
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Glass Wall
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blaqkviolette.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by BlaqkViolette »

If I had to choose, it would definitely be Hardcover, especially for my favourite books. However, I do prefer e-readers or paperbacks for when I'm out and about, sometimes hardcovers are just too heavy to carry around in your handbag!
Lourgreening1
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lourgreening1.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Lourgreening1 »

I love paper back books, I don't know if I like the more faded look of the older ones, when the paper starts peeling and cracking, but to me that's shows signs of a well read book.
Promisesnoelle

Post by Promisesnoelle »

I do enjoy paperback a lot, sometimes j find hard cover books feeling too bulky; but also hard cover books are quite nice because a paperback's cover can wear easier. If I know I will be carrying a book around with me a lot then I would prefer it to be hard cover.
dragoneyes1973

Post by dragoneyes1973 »

I like hardcover for sure

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”