What book do you reread the most?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Rebeca Darklight
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rebeca Darklight »

metroidhunter9292 wrote:Probably a book from the Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer, Or part of the Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling. I've read at least one from each more than three times a year. Hoorah for infantile reading!
I have read lots of people love Artemis Fowl. What is it about?
Be nice to me! English is not my native language. :)
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read the Harry Potter books about twice-three times a year. Also, The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov around Easter.This year, I am trying to catch up on a lot of the young adult lit that I have lying about here. I could list all of them, but I do need SOME sleep from time to time.
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
lifelongreader

Post by lifelongreader »

I used to reread Lord of the Rings series every summer when I was a kid, now I am rereading some books I haven't read for many years.

Dante's Inferno is one I keep dipping into.
Niphredil

Post by Niphredil »

Lolita and The Picture of Dorian Gray are my biggest repeats. Though I'v started having Lolita dreams recently :? maybe time to give that one a rest.
lifelongreader

Post by lifelongreader »

Rebeca Darklight wrote:
metroidhunter9292 wrote:Probably a book from the Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer, Or part of the Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling. I've read at least one from each more than three times a year. Hoorah for infantile reading!
I have read lots of people love Artemis Fowl. What is it about?
Hi Rebeca,
I have read a couple of them and they did very little for me - you can read reviews on my blog. The basic premise is that Artemis Fowl is a teenage genius who tries to steal gold from the leprechauns in Ireland.

He is a bit like a 13 year old James Bond character and to be honest, he irritates the heck out of me! I read the second book to give Mr Colfer another chance, but it did not work. No more Artemis Fowl for me!!
bibliolatrist

Post by bibliolatrist »

Niphredil wrote:Lolita and The Picture of Dorian Gray are my biggest repeats. Though I'v started having Lolita dreams recently :? maybe time to give that one a rest.
It's quite impossible to read too much of Lolita. Lo-li-ta. A most beautifully written book. :D
Dori

Post by Dori »

I've read The Hobbit three times. I have a feeling that I will be reading Candide a few times more in the future.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
Rebeca Darklight

lifelongreader wrote:Hi Rebeca,
I have read a couple of them and they did very little for me - you can read reviews on my blog. The basic premise is that Artemis Fowl is a teenage genius who tries to steal gold from the leprechauns in Ireland.

He is a bit like a 13 year old James Bond character and to be honest, he irritates the heck out of me! I read the second book to give Mr Colfer another chance, but it did not work. No more Artemis Fowl for me!!
Thank you so much for replying to me!!! I looked them up in Amazon and Wikipedia and no, I didn't feel like reading them. Maybe if they come my way free or very cheap. I tried to look up your review but couldn't find it :oops: , althoug I was happy to read that you enjoyed His dark materials. I just read the trilogy last month and loved it.
bibliolatrist wrote:
Niphredil wrote:Lolita and The Picture of Dorian Gray are my biggest repeats. Though I'v started having Lolita dreams recently :? maybe time to give that one a rest.
It's quite impossible to read too much of Lolita. Lo-li-ta. A most beautifully written book. :D
Oh yes! I loved Lolita. I will read again that book in the future. I read it in Spanish and the translation was great, but I really want to read it again in English so I won't miss all of Nabokov's play of words. Beautifully written indeed.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I just can't dig Lolita. I always feel like it would never have been famous at all if it hadn't have been about such a salacious, controversial subject matter.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

bibliolatrist

Post by bibliolatrist »

sleepydumpling wrote:I just can't dig Lolita. I always feel like it would never have been famous at all if it hadn't have been about such a salacious, controversial subject matter.
Not true! You need the annotated version which points out all the symbolism, word games, insane references, and and other little tricks that Nabokov plays in the text...for me, the plot is secondary to the skill of his writing.
Niphredil

Post by Niphredil »

sleepydumpling wrote:I just can't dig Lolita. I always feel like it would never have been famous at all if it hadn't have been about such a salacious, controversial subject matter.
It's amazing how uncontroversial and salacious the subject matter seems as you read it. Because as Bibliolatrist says, it's not that which draws people back again and again (well, I should hope not). It's the pure dripping poetry of it, Nabokov as a huge literary child playing and laughing at just about everything. And yet keeping the emotion. There are very few literary moments for me that beat "No, honey, no" near the end of Lolita.

Still, you could argue that all of that detracts from the plot. There are bits that drag.
Dori wrote:I've read The Hobbit three times. I have a feeling that I will be reading Candide a few times more in the future.
I read The Hobbit almost solidly for about a year back in the young days! Now thats a good 'un.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree on Lolita. Other than some conceited clever-cleverness, I can't see any skill or literary genius to it. But I have no problems with others liking it, I just can't dig it myself.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Rebeca Darklight

I totally understand sleepydumpling, I have friends that feel the same about Lolita, they don't like it either, not matter the style, they just don't dig it. But I agree with bibliolatrist and Niphredil, I just love Nabokov's writing. I'm dying to read it in English, dying to do it.
Sofia

Post by Sofia »

I have never actually reread a book.
Michael

Post by Michael »

The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho). It was one of those books I read when I was in my young and impressionable years and did just that, made a deep impression. It was about the time I read that book that I started becoming much more independent, re-examining everything I'd been taught up to that point, and began making some decisions for myself.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”