What was the book you hated reading for school?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
laceyreads
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What was the book you hated reading for school?

Post by laceyreads »

Jojowrites4All wrote:Huckleberry Finn plus Of Mice and Men. We had to read both books over and over.
I had to read Hucleberry Finn and it about killed me! I was so bored and I couldn't relate to a single character! :?
Reader-Rachel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-rachel.html

Post by Reader-Rachel »

I hardly read any assigned school reading, but The Old Man and the Sea was so horrible. It was assigned the summer before 9th grade for the AP English class. The book was so tiny, I'll admit, I put the reading of because of that, a mistake. I don't think I ever even finished it. The whole book was long winded and at that age I didn't understand much of the underlying message.
Kate_woodside
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-woodside.html

Post by Kate_woodside »

To Kill A Mockingbird. I found it very boring. I really didn't find the movie any better either.
kaylee16tw
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee16tw.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by kaylee16tw »

Wuthering Heights was just not a book I could connect with. Maybe I tried to read it too young and couldn't fully appreciate it, but most of the characters annoyed me and I found myself continously exasperated by the plot. Perhaps I'll try it again someday.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Daret Koudenkova
Currently Reading: Elizabeth I
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daret-koudenkova.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Daret Koudenkova »

I absolutely hated ''The Alchemist'' by Paulo Coelho. Maybe I was too young when I read it, but nonetheless I didn't grasp the story and I wasn't at the stage where reading philosophical books interested me. As it was mandatory, I managed to read about 80% of it but I remember not even finishing. I wonder if I read it now, would I get the same experience?
Jenn_Jenn
Currently Reading: The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Jenn_Jenn »

Easy, hands down the worst book I read in school was Crime and Punishment. Dostoyevsky is not my particular brand of poison, thanks but no thanks.
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

We had to read The Plague by Camus and it was awful. My friend actually read it backward chapter by chapter and said that it was more interesting that way. I could barely make it through.
Haileek
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haileek.html

Post by Haileek »

Oh Romeo and Juliet. So sad ?
awesomeguy21
Currently Reading: Macbeth

Post by awesomeguy21 »

we had to read Night by Elie Wiseal in 9th Grade and i just couldn't get into. I just liked the other book we read more.

-- 30 Mar 2016, 19:21 --
Jay_Kewi wrote:I remember reading The Westing Game. That's it. I don't remember the plot or the characters. I hated reading. I was confused especially at the end when the story is wrapped all up. I probably won't reread it now but maybe someday, we'll meet again.
Read this in 7th Grade I loved it!!
Rae_Weber
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rae-weber.html

Post by Rae_Weber »

The only book required by my school that I never finished was "Tale of Two Cities". I just couldn't read that book. It was so difficult to get past the endless similes and metaphors and "imagery". It bored me to tears.
dmugali2012

Post by dmugali2012 »

I hated "Beloved". Oh my goodness it was the worst book ever I've never read a book that was so crude in my life. Don't get me wrong, I did feel sorry for the main character but the events that happened were so graphic. I hated reading it in high school. Watching the movie didn't make it any better.
DylanCallens

Post by DylanCallens »

Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness! I couldn't stand it in high school, so I thought that maybe as an adult I would enjoy it more. I reread it a few years ago and no! No, it's still not for me. :)
Cora Oquinn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cora-oquinn.html

Post by Cora Oquinn »

I cant think of a book that I hated reading in school although what I do remember is becoming increasingly frustrated with other students and how slow they would read when the whole class had to read aloud. I would read ahead and then have to go back and start again but I still loved reading any book I could get ahold of.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I have a few that I hated. They are Frankesntein, The Hobbit, and Wuthering Heights. None of them were interesting to me. I had a really hard time finishing them especially since I had to pay close attention so I'd be able to pass the test.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I really disliked reading All's Quiet on the Western Front for my Sophomore English class. War literature is not typically my thing anyway, especially not WWI. I remember that we also had to watch the movie in class, which I also found quite painful. I usually liked reading for school, but that book was definitely my least favorite.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”