Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Post by han87 »

I converted to audio books while working a repetitive data entry job 4 years ago. Ever since then I've loved them and I still download one to listen to occasionally. But primarily I read ebooks on my Kindle or tablet.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I primarily read books, but audiobooks can be a really good way to still advance in your book when you don't want to keep your eyes open or don't have a book at hand. I have started listening to audiobooks since I have started my daily eye exercises - you have to keep your eyes shut for 20 minutes at one time, but you're not allowed to sleep, so it would be mighty boring if not for audiobooks...
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
MaryB
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryb.html

Post by MaryB »

I love to read "real" books - but audiobooks are great for when I am driving, or knitting. In both cases, they help me get through the boring bits of something that I either love doing (knitting) or have to do (driving).
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I have the world's worst listening comprehension skills. (And my mom was also deaf, literally... so increasing my listening comprehension skills wasn't really high on the agenda in my home!)
I can't focus on audio books at all. I might as well be listening to beach noise or two children banging pots together. They all sound the same to me.
Amy-Matthews
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Amy-Matthews »

My family and I normally drive from England to Spain every summer since I was a child and we have always listened to the Harry Potter audio books narrated by Stephen Fry. The way he told the story made me love it even more and this year when we went my boyfriend came with us and he's not a huge fan of Harry Potter (although he has read the books) but after listening to the audio books he has really gotten into the series and has become a big fan so I think that audio books can be a good thing because they enable you to hear a story from someone else's perspective and in someone else's voice however, I'm yet to find an audio book for any other of my favourite books that I like to listen to. I tried to listen to an audio book for the Hobbit and for Elidor and I just didn't seem to like them as much.
ktfrank04
Currently Reading: Wizard and Glass - Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktfrank04.html

Post by ktfrank04 »

hell no. never. I can't even. I feel like it is not the same as reading at all! Plus I have ADD and there is no way i can just listen to a book and actually be able to pay attention to what they are saying lol. I will always stick to paperbacks, I am a snob like that d;
1destiny2014

Post by 1destiny2014 »

Audiobooks are great if you are the type of person who doesn't have time to read a book, but i personally prefer to be able to feel and see the progress i have made. A physical book is a personal accomplishment i can set on my shelf and say, yeah i read all those books.
jguthri1
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jguthri1.html

Post by jguthri1 »

I am ADDICTED to audio books. I am a slow reader. I like to read, and I prefer to have a hard copy of certain informational books. I use ebooks a lot. But the audio books allow me to devour twice as many books and not feel guilty because I don't have to sit still. At school I read aloud to my students a lot. Occasionally I will use an audio book during class to allow them to hear a different reader..... And give my voice and eyes a break.... 8)
castor
Favorite Author: G.G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: The Palace of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-castor.html
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Reading Device: B002R5UYXY

Post by castor »

i prefer reading than hearing. i don't think i will ever convert to audio books. When i hear a book i get easily distracted, but when i read my mind stays focused on the book
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Brianaporter
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: Beautiful by Amy Reed
Currently Reading: Black Box by Julie Schumacher
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianaporter.html
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by Brianaporter »

Absolutely not. I don't want a robot to read to me. That takes everything out of it. You can no longer read for yourself because you have to go at the pace of the robot. It also takes away the imagination from it. You won't even wonder how the character sounds anymore.
Write drunk; Edit sober.
- Ernest Hemingway
jguthri1
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jguthri1.html

Post by jguthri1 »

Brianaporter wrote:Absolutely not. I don't want a robot to read to me. That takes everything out of it. You can no longer read for yourself because you have to go at the pace of the robot. It also takes away the imagination from it. You won't even wonder how the character sounds anymore.
I actually disagree with you here. In Gone Girl there were 2 different narrators. A female read the chapters from the wife's point of view and a male from the husband's. I thought it added a lot to the experience of this book. There is another book, that I have not listened to yet, that has been completely recorded by 2 different narrators. I think the point is to give you the point of view of 2 different characters.
Alison97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison97.html

Post by Alison97 »

Whenever I have required reading for school, I play an audio-book while looking at the print version in front of me. This really helps me to focus if I have to read at a faster-than-normal pace to meet a deadline.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I think it's interesting to see how so many people consider listening to audio books "faster" than reading. To me, it's quite the opposite. read much faster than the person reading aloud, so I always feel like audio books are too slow for me, and I am wasting so much time listening to things when I could be reading and enjoying a real book.
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

No. I strongly dislike audio reading. I, as I have mentioned a lot on here, need a physical copy of the book.
Chrystal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal.html

Post by Chrystal »

I realize this is an older post, but I wanted to include my comment just a well.

I find audio books that have an expressive narrator to be quite entertaining. I have had the opportunity to use various forms, and for the most part, Audible seems to have employed some eloquent and very passionate narrators. Using audio books also allows me to engage in other activities while completing a book title.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”