What book made you love to read

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Re: What book made you love to read

Post by TangledinText »

The books that got me hooked to reading are from Lori Foster and Sandra Brown
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
sarahpayne23
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 1016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpayne23.html
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk

Post by sarahpayne23 »

So, I was never a reader. I was one of those kids who was always outside and never sat still. I didn't really learn to love reading until I was in college. I found my first great book series at that time and couldn't put it down. A librarian I knew recommended Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and I couldn't put it down. Now, I have read the whole series 4 times and never get tired of it.
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk
EmilyHeather
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyheather.html

Post by EmilyHeather »

I don't think it was one particular book, but a series. In elementary school I started reading The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner. Once I read through all of her books, i searched for my next author and the rest is history.
clairesthilaire
Currently Reading: Bloods
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clairesthilaire.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 10

Post by clairesthilaire »

I would have to say that the books that sparked my love of reading were the Beatrix Potter books. Particularly "The Tailor of Gloucester" and "The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle". The imagery and beautiful pictures fed my imagination and left me wanting to read more.
ahacandles

Post by ahacandles »

Baby sitters club I would wait until the first Tuesday of each month and get the next book as they came out
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I did love kid's books when I was just starting to read, of course. I don't remember most of them but they were standard early reader stories, talking rabbits and so on. But I was a pretty precocious reader and zoomed thru those books, and was reading Tales of Robin Hood and Knights of the Round Table young reader books when I was maybe 8 or 9, those books pitched for readers maybe 5 years older.

A couple of fun stories... when I was a kid my mom took me alternate Saturdays to the local library and I would check out the most books you could do, I think 6 total. Which I'd read immediately. Later, I'd essentially read thru most all available kiddie books in the local library, and so when I was about 9 or 10, my folks signed for me an "adult" library card. This meant that I could check out any book. This opened a huge door for me and I remember going thru the stacks and looking for all sorts of science books and other stuff, and how delighted I was.

But when i showed off my adult library card to my little pals, they went "So what?" and really didn't care. And this was the beginning of my separation of literature and learning from my friends. Not much afterward, they'd be playing tag and I'd be reading a novel.

Another story... when I was maybe 15, I was of course the regular blossoming kid and was fascinated by girls. A buddy at high school had this "sexy" book, a dogeared paperback which he passed around to his pals, myself too. It was a jerky and bad book, awful, and I have given the book a stereotype title which includes all cheezy books, "Nurses For Sale". ha ha

So one evening, my turn to read the book, I was in my room and was supposed to be doing homework, and instead I was reading Nurses For Sale, fervently reading the special turned down special pages. And my Dad happened to walk by and saw me, and when I saw him, I quickly shoved the book beneath my school notes.

Dad came into my room, and said, "What are you reading?" "I'm doing my homework." "No, you were reading a book. Can I see it?"

So my heart sank. I reluctantly handed Dad the book, and I thought, "Heck, Jimmy Stafford will kill me" thinking that Dad would tear the book to shreds and I'd never be able to give Jimmy back the book.

But instead, my Dad thumbed thru the book, read a few of the sexy pages with the turned down markers, and shrugged, handed it back to me, and left without a word.

I thought, gosh, I'm dead. I'll be sent to a military school or something.

After about 10 minutes, Dad returned with a hardback book, old and much read through. He said, "This is my fault. I should have realized that you're old enough and you need to read these thingz. But don't read trash, okay?" And he handed me the book.

It was a hardback copy of Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller.

Dad started to leave my room, then he said, "This book does not leave your room. You do not take it to school and you do not share it with your friends, okay?" .... "And don't tell your Mom"

True story. I was soooo fortunate.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

My dad is actually huge reader and a big fan of Steven King or biographies. It was something we did together growing up and he was able to bring all of my children's books alive when reading to me at bed time. It is not any particular book, but just the love I have for books in general that made me love to read.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Primrose
Currently Reading: The Rottweiler
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Primrose »

"Little Women" is the first book I remember really loving. But Enid Blyton's Malory Towers series is also fondly remembered, and to this day I remember all the characters names. But what first made me anxious for Mondays to come around was a comic - The School Friend - and especially the front page serial - The Silent Three!"
LauraBeth0625
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurabeth0625.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LauraBeth0625 »

I think it was one of the Ghost Writer Books that came from the 1990s show. And then as I got older I liked Lurlene McDaniel and then I met Shakespeare. I think it must have been Shakespeare that hooked me .
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

I can't exactly remember the book that got me hooked to reading, but it was probably teen fiction. I started to love reading when I realized that by reading, I can step into another person's life and see what decisions they make and where those decisions lead them.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

The Harry Potter series got me really hooked on reading when I was a kid. Unfortunately as I got older I started to read less for fun because I was so caught up with school and studying. However, in college I re-read East of Eden by John Steinbeck and I ended up loving reading for fun again. I try to read at least one new book a month if I get the time.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Primrose
Currently Reading: The Rottweiler
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Primrose »

Yes! East of Eden - terrific book. And the Grapes of Wrath - magnificent!
Amanda Williams
Currently Reading: Four Swans
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Amanda Williams »

When I was a child, Strawberry Girl turned me on to reading. As a college student, Grisham and Stephen King hooked me on fiction.
BookerK
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookerk.html

Post by BookerK »

I can't pinpoint an actual book, but I have a book series. It is the "Sister's in Time". It's such a large series, I don't think I ever read them all. I still absolutely love books that talk about real events using fictional characters.
Judyk
Currently Reading: Orphan Train
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judyk.html

Post by Judyk »

Where the wild things are is one of my all time favorites. My grandfather taught me how to listen to story's, ( close your eyes and imagine what you hear described) and that is still how I read, with my eyes open of course ;-)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”