Character or Plot?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kim Dale
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-dale.html

Re: Character or Plot?

Post by Kim Dale »

Character! I have to have someone I can relate to or at least admire. I find plots are second on the NB list but quite honestly if a pathetic squib of a person is walking away from an epic hand-to-hand combat ending in an explosion - I honestly could not read another word.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Frankly, if a book is good, the characters and plot and all the other elements will be there and well defined.

It's highly unlikely that a book will have top quality plot and poor characterizations, or vice versa. A good writer will provide all the aspects of a fine book, and although all books have maybe a little better plot than a character, overall all the points will be well done or close to that.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I prefer to have both, but I might lean toward having a good plot over amazing characters. A boring or poorly written plot makes for a tortuous reading experience.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
jandsmommy2611+
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by jandsmommy2611+ »

I believe the plot strengthens the character. The two go hand in hand.
DAbb456
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabb456.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DAbb456 »

A successful book has to have both. Memorable characters and a plot that keeps you turning the pages.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Honestly I prefer both in a story. When you have a well written plot and well developed characters the story just holds you and doesn't let you go. At least that is how it is for me. In a story like that I can easily become absorbed in the book and feel more for the character's situations. :techie-studyingbrown:
Bookaholic14
Currently Reading: Life and Death
Bookshelf Size: 373
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaholic14.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B00HNOWHRU

Post by Bookaholic14 »

Both! One without the other still leaves the novel feeling "flat" in my opinion. A novel without a good plot often leaves the story dragging, and I find it difficult to get through it. A novel without good characters usually won't draw me in as much. The connection to the characters helps drive my interest. A good plot helps hold my interest. As with many other comments, I fully agree that a good novel has many aspects and dimensions. They are all parts of the whole.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. – Neil Gaiman
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
BreannaCamp9413
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breannacamp9413.html

Post by BreannaCamp9413 »

I think both are needed in a good story, but it is hard to read anything where you can't identify with the character.
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

I agree with what everyone else has said, ideally I would like both character and plot. But, sadly, that isn't always possible. I've rarely read a book that is terribly unbalanced in that respect - generally a great character will have a somewhat decent plot and an amazing plot will have a character that is, at the very least, moderately developed.

I think that a great character can ease you through a substandard or weak plot better than a weak character can get you through a great plot. As a reader, when I make some kind of connection with a character I will stick with a story that isn't the best simply so I can continue to "hang out" with that character.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer

Post by MsMartha »

I think you have to have a good character and a good plot to make a good story. I've read books that have one or the other, and that always disappoints me.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
bekkilyn
Currently Reading: A Modern Reader's Guide to Dante's The Divine Comedy
Bookshelf Size: 65

Post by bekkilyn »

I guess my response would be characters, though I also think at least some sub-plots would be needed if a main plot did not exist. Otherwise, I'm imagining some sort of "character encyclopedia" and am having trouble figuring out how good characters can be developed without a plot.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I guess I'd have to say that plot is more necessary to move the story along and it can definitely save a book with crappy characters. however, junkie characters are harder to forgive and forget. Poor characters will come to my mind before anything else, even if the plot was amazing.
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html

Post by cogarae »

I think that they both go together. You could have a great plot but not so good characters or vise versa and it could throw off your whole rating of the.book.
Dyslexic-Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyslexic-superhero.html

Post by Dyslexic-Superhero »

They are like macaroni and cheese. To have a great story you need to have a plot and great characters.
cranej80
Currently Reading: love your life not theirs
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cranej80.html
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cranej80 »

Character for sure. I love being able to relate or understand and see the characters develop throughout the story.
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”