Favorite book you read during school?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Favorite book you read during school?

Post by BarryEM »

I was in high school in the 1950's when "Peyton Place" was so very popular. It was one of those books nobody would admit to reading and yet it was the best selling book ever. :)

Both my parents read it and when they got through I began reading it. Because I had it in my back pocket at school (I always had a book in my back pocket) I was kicked out of school but my parents managed to get me back in as long as I promised not to have books in my back pocket anymore.

I'm sure that's part of why I remember it so well but I think, because of it's notoriety what got overlooked was just how excellent a novel it really was. I've continued to read it again about every 5 or so years and it's better each time. Her writing seems to improve with age.

"Of Mice and Men" wasn't part of our curriculum (of course neither was "Peyton Place") but I read it while in high school. I was a big fan of Steinbeck's books and he was still writing in those days and everyone who read waited eagerly for his next book. I know he's thought a classical author these days but to me he'll always be a contemporary author, maybe the best ever.

The book I best remember reading as an assignment in high school was "Silas Marner", which I really liked and have re-read several times since.

Barry
Xinceesay

Post by Xinceesay »

Notre-Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo.
"Notre Dame de Pari" - the greatest historical novel. The book, which is fascinating, quirky story - just the perfect frame for striking, shocking copyright excursion into the past of Paris. The book, in which every reader will find something of their own ...
"Notre Dame" filmed and put on the stage dozens of times, but none of the productions could not show the scale and grandeur of the original Hugo.
Chrislock
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrislock.html
Latest Review: "Great Lakes" by Lilly Kirckof

Post by Chrislock »

My favourite was George Orwell's 1984. Which is lucky because I had to read it three years in a row.
Latest Review: "Great Lakes" by Lilly Kirckof
Xinceesay

Post by Xinceesay »

Chrislock wrote:My favourite was George Orwell's 1984. Which is lucky because I had to read it three years in a row.
Hm..So maybe you know similar books of other authors? I understand that to outdo George Orwell simply impossible..But..)
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I read "1984" decades ago and I was impressed so I read "Animal Farm" and liked it as well, although in a very different way. I looked at his other books and didn't find anything similar so I stopped there. Then, maybe 7 or 8 years ago, I don't recall why, I found myself reading "Burmese Days" by him, and Wow!

It had nothing in common with the other two and even though those were really good, this was brilliant. An amazing story with some of the most vivid and interesting characters I've encountered in literature.

Barry
zumanajim
Currently Reading: Allies of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zumanajim.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by zumanajim »

The Outsiders
by S.E. Hinton
:geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:
According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser.
Mitj4
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Mitj4 »

"To kill a mockingbird", my favorite.. :D
bethanytaylor99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethanytaylor99.html

Post by bethanytaylor99 »

Of Mice And Men was my favourite book I read in high school and still is now.
breeeeeanna
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breeeeeanna.html

Post by breeeeeanna »

Hands down-- Catcher in the Rye and Farenheit 451. Those are the only two books that I read in school and bought copies of for my own personal collection.
BookShelfy91
Favorite Author: Elayne Mitchell
Currently Reading: The Black Echo
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by BookShelfy91 »

I never liked reading the books we were given in english class much, mainly due to everyone else being so slow to read it. One book I did enjoy though was "The Outsiders - S.E.Hinton.

Shelfy
teiladancer
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by teiladancer »

As far as required reading for school I liked, The Giver, Holes, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Scarlet Letter. On my free time I read and re-read the Harry Potter series, practically foaming at the mouth awaiting the next book/movie. I also liked Blackwood Farm, Daughter of the Forest (The Seven waters Trilogy), Dragonlance: The War of Souls series, The Mists of Avalon, and The Da Vinci Code.
Bball1118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bball1118.html

Post by Bball1118 »

Tuck Everlasting. It was the first time I felt the magic of literature. Reread it recently and it still resonates.
Raika Owens

Post by Raika Owens »

The Paladin Prophecy by Mark Frost. It makes the mind think of all the wonders that could happen at a school while being stuck in school.
kpaasch26
Currently Reading: Those Who Wish Me Dead
Bookshelf Size: 149

Post by kpaasch26 »

I did not have any favorite books that we were required to read in school. However, I did have favorite books that I chose to read outside of school. The first book that I truly loved in middle school was "Don't Let Me Die". It was the first book that I could not put down! As I got older, about in high school, I have developed love with Stephen King's books. The Hobbit was the only book that I actually enjoyed in school years.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

East of Eden by John Steinbeck. This book actually made me look forward to going to English class my junior year because there were so many themes and symbols in this book that I would never have gotten if I just read the book on my own. It was very interesting.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”