How many books do you think a person should have

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

How many books do you think a person should have

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

How many books do you think a person should have, before you can call him\her a book collector ?

I guess its different opinions about this ( well of course there is ). But i say a person should at least have a 100 books before he\she can call himself or herself a book collector.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

A collector? 100-200 sounds right. A book lover? Just one! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
madileigh1007
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madileigh1007.html

Post by madileigh1007 »

Well I have 600 books so... I can't really answer the question.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Jolyon Trevelyan wrote:How many books do you think a person should have, before you can call him\her a book collector ?

I guess its different opinions about this ( well of course there is ). But i say a person should at least have a 100 books before he\she can call himself or herself a book collector.
At least 100+ - any less & they are just a hoarder :mrgreen:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Fran wrote:
Jolyon Trevelyan wrote:How many books do you think a person should have, before you can call him\her a book collector ?

At least 100+ - any less & they are just a hoarder :mrgreen:
I agree. :)

I am a collector then. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

A guilty collector here; many times over! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This is a tough one, especially given that the number of books one can own depends on the size of one's home. An avid reader who lives in a one bedroom apartment will likely own less books that one that lives in a mansion, although both may consider themselves collectors. I would say that if your bookshelf is bigger than your television set, you're either a bona fide collector or at least on your way to becoming one.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I think it depends on the person and their situation. For example, a student working two jobs to put herself through school would obviously not be able to afford to purchase the same amount of books as an eccentric billionaire who has his own library. They may be spending the same percentage of their income on books, but the amounts would be drastically different. Therefore, I would just define a collector as someone who has a collection of books that they treasure and have invested time and money in curating.

On another note, calling someone a collector implies a certain quality of book. For example, if someone had only five or six books, but they were all first editions by famous authors, they could be considered collectors. At the same time, someone who has amassed hundreds of books from the free box at a library book sale that are outdated and unwanted would be more of a hoarder than a collector.
vibha_sood
Currently Reading: Men who brought light before dawn
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vibha-sood.html

Post by vibha_sood »

"Quality is more Important than Quantity!"

The number of books one has is least important.Even a single book that is worth it and can change a person's perspective is worth a 100 books.

It is rightly said:

"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." ~James Bryce

Thanks & Regards,
Vibha
Keith80
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2860">The Martian</a>
Currently Reading: The Gathering Storm
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keith80.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Keith80 »

'Collecting' implies choosing which books to keep in your library. Someone - I forget who - said that a person could collect 2000 books and have one place on earth where it was possible to be happy. This is probably not possible for many people due to space limitations, and the sheer cost of such a library. However it is a viable dream for all readers to aim at over their lifetime. I have a library of about 1400 volumes in my 'den'. Anyone can carefully accumulate select books, which they really like, to create their own library. It starts with ONE book which you want to re-read. All other additions should pass the re-read test. If you don't want to re-read it don't keep it in your library. As the member above said "Quality is more Important than Quantity!"
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Hm... I agree that both quality and quantity matter, differently to different people. I'd say that a collector could be anyone who is proud of the books that they own, regardless of the number of books. Also, a true collector will scour the internet to find a mint-condition copy of an OOP book and take the time to have their old illustrated hardcover from yesteryear rebound. :-)
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

I have both quantity and quality. I've always been a collector, and it has been quite costly and well worth it. I know people who are occasional readers with impressive home libraries. I think the average reader would have 25 - 100 books. Collectors would be higher even if quality based. Reading is my life and my homes were built to reflect that.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

LivreAmour217 wrote:This is a tough one, especially given that the number of books one can own depends on the size of one's home. An avid reader who lives in a one bedroom apartment will likely own less books that one that lives in a mansion, although both may consider themselves collectors. I would say that if your bookshelf is bigger than your television set, you're either a bona fide collector or at least on your way to becoming one.

I agree completely. I know that if I lived in a large house I would own so many more books. But a limited space only allows me to have my absolute favorites. Now if you count the number of books in my kindle I would be a collector many times over.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
Shadogirl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shadogirl »

As many as you can read!! I like to pay it forward, there are alot of people that do not have income to buy, I experienced this personally when staying at the shelter..... The books are a great distraction to relax, and escape in your mind for awhile!! The shelters always need books for any age!!
Nishan Dass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nishan Dass »

Everyone should read 2-4 books in a month

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”