Do you like books with deckled/uneven pages?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
VanessaB16
Favorite Author: Harper Lee
Currently Reading: Rivals In The City
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessab16.html
Latest Review: "A Heartfelt Thank You to My Intelligent Designer" by Francis T. Sganga
fav_author_id: 2399

Do you like books with deckled/uneven pages?

Post by VanessaB16 »

I absolutely love books with deckled pages! It gives an antique kind of look and makes the book more aesthetically unique!

Do you like uneven pages??
"And what shoulder, & what art. Could twist the sinews of thy heart?"
Latest Review: "A Heartfelt Thank You to My Intelligent Designer" by Francis T. Sganga
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I do, for the same reasons you listed. I like "old" things :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I agree with both of you. I like it when the pages have a diary feel. It adds to the mystic and unique feel of the book.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Since I read mostly on my kindle, it doesn't make a difference to me.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

I don't like my books with deckled or uneven pages. I prefer books in good condition.
Artiste8
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Artiste8 »

V_bansal2912 wrote:I don't like my books with deckled or uneven pages. I prefer books in good condition.
The books are in good condition, but the pages are made that way on purpose. It looks really good with certain books. The book "The Thirteenth Tale" had pages like that.
Keith80
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2860">The Martian</a>
Currently Reading: The Gathering Storm
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keith80.html

Post by Keith80 »

The deckled pages seem to be easier to turn. I seldom get two pages at a time with them. However much of my reading is on my Kindle now so they don't really affect that. The appearance of a book with the deckled pages looks a bit untidy to me, but much of my reading in my youth was textbooks, so I am biased towards uniform page size.
MystAngelBlossom
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Death of Miss Jane Austen
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystangelblossom.html

Post by MystAngelBlossom »

bluemel4 wrote:I agree with both of you. I like it when the pages have a diary feel. It adds to the mystic and unique feel of the book.
I have to agree. Especially if the book is set in the 1800s or early 1900s. It makes it feel like I'm reading someone's diary instend of a book.
ChristanWebb
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christanwebb.html

Post by ChristanWebb »

I might get a book with uneven pages for my collection because I like the way it looks, but I hate them for reading. It is harder for me to thumb through the pages without flipping who sections. Also the feel of it while reading makes it seem that something is wrong with it and it distracts me from the story.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Yes. My Jane Eyre has it, as does my copy of Radiance by Alyson Noel, and my copy of The Diary by Eileen Goudge. It is a neat effect!
Raven_Knight
Reading Device: B007T35O7U

Post by Raven_Knight »

I don't particularly like having deckled/uneven pages unless it goes with my theme or story of book. Some books I think it works, but usually I prefer that all the pages are even.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I'm familiar with this type of binding because I review lots of books and often get galley proofs, which are cheaply bound editions sent to reviewers prior to the actual edition coming out. Some galley proofs are done via "perfect binding" which is a trademark way of binding trade paperbacks, and most final paperback editions these days are "perfect bound" technique. But occasionally the galley proof is a lot cheaper and and so the pages are decked, the cover just plain hard paper with the title and info, no artwork or anything.

Sometimes the lack of proper trimming makes the pages harder to turn but that's no biggie.

I've got some fairly old and rare books which were bound such, before the more precise trimming became prevalent.

I really don't care. I prefer a professional binding because it shows that the publisher put the needed funds into the book and didn't give the author a cheapie edition. I however do know that some books are intentionally "deckled" (rough cut) but I for the life of me cannot discern why, other than to save a step and some money in the binding. If a book is newly written then I don't need faux quaint fixings to try to tell me it's old.

Of course, when I'm reviewing books, having a lesser binding never enters into my review. The contents are what matters.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

I also like deckled pages. I agree that it gives the allusion of the book being old and unique. I also find it easier to turn the pages that way.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I think you mean "illusion" right?

But a new book really doesn't have to pretend anything as I see it. If it's a genuinely old book, fine. Fake old? Naw.

There are some rare book editions which are early editions with untrimmed pages which make them more rare. I happen to have, among my fairly rare books, a FIRST edition of Joyce's "Ulysses" with its original publisher Shakespeare & Co. Paris, 1924. This book has the early print run of untrimmed pages and is therefore worth a bit more. And no, it's not a first printing (those volumes are worth $100,000 and are under guard) but mine is a first edition, just following the "first printing" which means it's of course quite rare. You can check on the prices via the net.

But those untrimmed pages are "real" not fakey.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
TrisNook
Favorite Author: JK Rowling
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and Order of The Phoenix (Harry Potter #5)
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by TrisNook »

It does give the book a unique look but I find that it makes it so much harder to turn the pages. As a kid I got The Land of Elyon series and I had such a hard time turing the pages. I loved how the book looked though. So I am kind of in-between with books like that.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”