Have you ever found yourself blankly reading for a while?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
j_brower
Favorite Author: Jack London
Currently Reading: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-brower.html
fav_author_id: 2993

Have you ever found yourself blankly reading for a while?

Post by j_brower »

There has been numerous times where I would sit down to read and as I start reading I begin to think of something else, and instead of actual reading I began to just blankly stare at the words as my eyes scan by them. So tell me how often does this happen to you, and for how long, before you are able to stop it.
Hollow[Slayer]101
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Academ's Fury</a>
Currently Reading: Cursor's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollow-slayer-101.html
Reading Device: B008HTJLF6
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by Hollow[Slayer]101 »

Yes. This does happen to me sometimes. It's usually a couple paragraphs before I notice what I'm doing and stop.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I do this all the time! I read without processing what I'm reading for a few paragraphs or even a few pages before realizing it. Then I'll either go back to the last place I remember reading from or continue on from the spot where I am now. If this keeps occurring in the same book, it may be a sign that the book just isn't for you or now isn't the right time to read it (maybe you're too tired or otherwise distracted). It happens.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Yes that does happen to me sometimes.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

It used to happen to me a lot with textbooks. I either would lose interest or have a brain overload. It hasn't really happened recently. I read a lot of fiction. If I read non-fiction it is something I am interested in not being forced to read.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
ReadandRoll[
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

Yes, sometimes my mind wanders off and I will go back and re-read it again.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

It mostly happens when I'm distracted, especially by people talking, or the book is too boring that my mind would just drift off somewhere else.
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
ena
Currently Reading: Fear of Dying
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ena.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by ena »

Yes. It attacks me when I am bored with what I am currently doing, or just simply tired :D
kswiek
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kswiek.html

Post by kswiek »

I do this more than I would like to admit. It's always when I'm on the subway coming home from work and am tired. I want to read but my mind doesn't really take anything in. When I'm doing it it seems like I'm not retaining anything but after the fact I'll remember details that I never thought I would.
RuthRoseRed
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Fahrenheit 451</a>
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthrosered.html
Reading Device: B00GWR36F6

Post by RuthRoseRed »

I know. It happens to me all the time, especially when I have been reading for a while. I just be sitting there sometimes not even thinking at all, and realize I haven't taken in a word of anything I have been reading.
agoodread+

Post by agoodread+ »

Yes, I have had that experience! It most often happens when there is too much noise or activity going on around me. Also, when I am in a rush to get through with what I am reading, or anxious about something. Finding a quieter area is most helpful for the background noise of course, but using earplugs also helps significantly. When I find myself rushing due to anxiety, I deliberately make myself take a few deep breaths, then focus on each word and read slowly for a few sentences. This usually works. If not, I get up and move around awhile to break the pattern of thought. Doing something that gives me a sense of accomplishment really relieves my mind and puts me in a better state of mind so I can focus better. Hope this helps you!
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Yes it happens to me, usually when I'm reading at bedtime and I'm sleepy. Having "read" a page without realizing the content is a signal it's lights out time.

And just recently, more personally embarrassing, I'm reviewing and making teeny tweeks to my 3 novels before sending to edit and review via my publisher, and I found that I'd read maybe two chapters and had zero idea whether I'd made any changes or spotted anything that needed a fix. So I closed the file and drank a big gulp of water and started those chapters over again. And yeah, I found places I'd meant to change and hadn't. Duh.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This happens to me when I am very tired or when I am trying to read in a loud environment, such as a packed waiting room.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
YoungersX2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngersx2.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by YoungersX2 »

Yes! I'll be halfway through the page before I realize that I haven't been paying attention to the words so I have to start over again.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Same here, Livre. But if I'm going to sleep, that's okay.

However if I'm reading to review and edit my novel prior to submission to the publsher? Bad news. I need to pay attention to my own writing, hey?
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”