Have You Ever Read Something Traumatic as a Kid?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: Have You Ever Read Something Traumatic as a Kid?

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

What's the Yellow Wallpaper?
JGannaban
Currently Reading: Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgannaban.html
Latest Review: "Their Twisted Worlds: A Collection Of Stories" by Adam Scopp

Post by JGannaban »

Now, I really have to read The Yellow Wallpaper.
Latest Review: "Their Twisted Worlds: A Collection Of Stories" by Adam Scopp
Amber9731
Currently Reading: Orange is the new black
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber9731.html
Latest Review: "Masked Desire" by Elaine Angelus Kehler

Post by Amber9731 »

I remember reading the Lottery in middle school for an assignment. I didn't mind the story so much (The Hunger Games reminds me of it for some reason) it was the reaction to it from my class that disturbed me. I was not very popular and I found a few black dots in my locker and in my desks that week. Kids are mean!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Amber9731 wrote:I remember reading the Lottery in middle school for an assignment. I didn't mind the story so much (The Hunger Games reminds me of it for some reason) it was the reaction to it from my class that disturbed me. I was not very popular and I found a few black dots in my locker and in my desks that week. Kids are mean!
Oh, ouch! That's awful. I'm so sorry you had such mean classmates.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Amber9731 wrote:I remember reading the Lottery in middle school for an assignment. I didn't mind the story so much (The Hunger Games reminds me of it for some reason) it was the reaction to it from my class that disturbed me. I was not very popular and I found a few black dots in my locker and in my desks that week. Kids are mean!

Wow. That is pretty cruel. I remember reading it in class and feeling quite disturbed about the story.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

rsslue, I can empathize. Clive Barker can be terrifying. I read Imajica recently, and there was a character who wasn't male or female but kind of both and kind of neither. It freaked me out something fierce.

But as to traumatizing books, I read Marcos' Millions as a kid. It involves a planet with unusually high gravity, which changes the passage of time for the person exposed to it. Marcos went to this planet to save his kid sister, and when he came back, she was an adult.

Now, every time relativity screws something up for someone, I get teary. I actually cried watching Interstellar.

It's made me
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
Mariar3
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariar3.html

Post by Mariar3 »

I have never finished reading Memoirs of a Geisha for this very reason. I was 13 I think when I started reading it and I got to the scene with Chiyo being examined (I think? It was so long ago) and it really freaked me out when I was young and I've never finished.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Mariar3 wrote:I have never finished reading Memoirs of a Geisha for this very reason. I was 13 I think when I started reading it and I got to the scene with Chiyo being examined (I think? It was so long ago) and it really freaked me out when I was young and I've never finished.
I hated that book, too, but I was an adult. I don't know what I was thinking, choosing it to read!!
Amber9731
Currently Reading: Orange is the new black
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber9731.html

Post by Amber9731 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Oh, ouch! That's awful. I'm so sorry you had such mean classmates.
Thanks for the support. I'm happy to say that high school was a much better time for me.

-- 30 Jul 2015, 18:35 --
Mariar3 wrote:I have never finished reading Memoirs of a Geisha for this very reason. I was 13 I think when I started reading it and I got to the scene with Chiyo being examined (I think? It was so long ago) and it really freaked me out when I was young and I've never finished.
I actually really liked the book (as an adult). I must like disturbing books, lol. I really want to read the Yellow Wallpaper just to see what everyone is talking about.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

You're welcome! I too am curious about the Yellow Wallpaper!!
Dave
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Dave »

As a kid I read books about WW2 & the Holocaust. Some of the survivor accounts of the camps were chilling, probably a bit much for a kid my age...
ChristanWebb
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christanwebb.html

Post by ChristanWebb »

I don't know that I have ever been "traumatized" by a book, but I have become very emotional. Some of the books that really attracted me and pulled at my heart strings when I was younger were books about dogs. Books such as "Sounder", "Shiloh", and "Where the Red Fern Grows." To this day, I usually avoid books about dogs unless I am in the mood for a good cry. Considering these were some books on our reading lists as children, we read them in class. I was often laughed at for bursting into tears over an emotional scene in a book.
Sara MCR
Currently Reading: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-mcr.html

Post by Sara MCR »

Not me, but I remember my best friend reading Incest when we were 9. She then asked me what is so terrible about being raped. I really had no idea what to tell her...
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

Bad Alice by Jean Ure left me in shock for days.I was literally shivering after finishing the book. Now I realize that the things discussed in the book actually do happen, life is not a bed of roses.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
Ashamtly
Currently Reading: Battle Royale
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashamtly.html

Post by Ashamtly »

"Cujo" by Stephen King
I read it when I was more or less 7 years old. Horrible idea...
My parents learned to keep a closer eye on what I read after that

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”