Your pride of reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Deniseburdette1994
Favorite Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onsbane</a>
Currently Reading: Salem's Lot
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deniseburdette1994.html
fav_author_id: 3137

Re: Your pride of reading?

Post by Deniseburdette1994 »

I take pride in having more books then shelves lol...after all if i have space for 1 book on a shelf i buy 4 because i know there will b times when either i cant find something to read or have no money to buy a book with and need to read...yes i said need i feel naked if im not reading or carring a book around lol.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Five bookshelves over a big house any day. #Books 4 Life
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I could live in a tiny house as long as my kindle was there.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Can we pick both? I would need a big house to hold my growing collection. ;)
Eponine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eponine »

Definitely bookshelves!
Richard Falken

Post by Richard Falken »

I would take the bookshelves if my current house wasn't already full of them. I am planning to expand the house in order to have room for more stuff...

These sort of things don't make me proud, to be honest.
Signatures were traditionally used to append contact information at the end of Usenet posts or emails. Now they are only used for bloating the posts with useless code and the moderators will kick you if you use them for their original purpose.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I'm not really sure that one would ever have to choose. Even if I added up all the money I spend on books each year, I still couldn't afford to buy a bigger house. Our house is the perfect size for our family and our budget. I wouldn't buy a bigger house just so I had a big house to show off to people. I don't need anything bigger than what I have right now. Therefore, I will spend my hard-earned money on things that I enjoy...like books....which need bookshelves to go on.
Journey beyond the jacket.
DATo

Post by DATo »

I was raised by a father, who had certainly seen his share of hard knocks in life, to believe that security trumps entertainment. In other words paying the heating bill is more important than buying a new video game. At the top of his list of security priorities was owning one's own home so that no one could evict you if times got hard and you were unable to pay the rent. Today we seem to take for granted that everything will turn out for the best because most of us have not experienced the extremities of want or privation.

I have personal knowledge of a man who, though normally frugal and resourceful, was led to ruin by a spouse who's mantra was "Tomorrow will take care of itself." They indulged in purchasing high dollar items which they didn't even need at the expense of putting away money in the event that any emergency were to surface. Then the 2008 economic debacle occurred and he was out of work. They lost the house, the marriage deteriorated, they divorced and he remained out of work (existing on word-of-mouth handyman jobs) for the next five years while living with his parents.

So to answer the question, and I mean no disrespect to anyone who has answered differently: I certainly don't need a "BIG" house but in my mind it is a no-brainer. Though I love my library (3000+ books) the security of owning my own home FAR surpasses the value I hold for my books. Minus the home I would look pretty silly sitting under a highway overpass as a homeless person surrounded by 3000 books.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

DATo wrote:I was raised by a father, who had certainly seen his share of hard knocks in life, to believe that security trumps entertainment. In other words paying the heating bill is more important than buying a new video game. At the top of his list of security priorities was owning one's own home so that no one could evict you if times got hard and you were unable to pay the rent. Today we seem to take for granted that everything will turn out for the best because most of us have not experienced the extremities of want or privation.

I have personal knowledge of a man who, though normally frugal Andrew resourceful, was led to ruin by a spouse who's mantra was "Tomorrow will take care of itself." They indulged in purchasing high dollar items which they didn't even need at the expense of putting away money in the event that any emergency were to surface. Then the 2008 economic debacle occurred and he was out of work. They lost the house, the marriage deteriorated, they divorced and he remained out of work (existing on word-of-mouth handyman jobs) for the next five years while living with his parents.

So to answer the question, and I mean no disrespect to anyone who has answered differently: I certainly don't need a "BIG" house but in my mind it is a no-brainer. Though I love my library (3000+ books) the security of owning my own home FAR surpasses the value I hold for my books. Minus the home I would look pretty silly sitting under a highway overpass as a homeless person surrounded by 3000 books.
:text-yeahthat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

DATo wrote:I was raised by a father, who had certainly seen his share of hard knocks in life, to believe that security trumps entertainment. In other words paying the heating bill is more important than buying a new video game. At the top of his list of security priorities was owning one's own home so that no one could evict you if times got hard and you were unable to pay the rent. Today we seem to take for granted that everything will turn out for the best because most of us have not experienced the extremities of want or privation.

I have personal knowledge of a man who, though normally frugal and resourceful, was led to ruin by a spouse who's mantra was "Tomorrow will take care of itself." They indulged in purchasing high dollar items which they didn't even need at the expense of putting away money in the event that any emergency were to surface. Then the 2008 economic debacle occurred and he was out of work. They lost the house, the marriage deteriorated, they divorced and he remained out of work (existing on word-of-mouth handyman jobs) for the next five years while living with his parents.

:handgestures-thumbup:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

DATo wrote:So to answer the question, and I mean no disrespect to anyone who has answered differently: I certainly don't need a "BIG" house but in my mind it is a no-brainer. Though I love my library (3000+ books) the security of owning my own home FAR surpasses the value I hold for my books. Minus the home I would look pretty silly sitting under a highway overpass as a homeless person surrounded by 3000 books.
I mean with 3000+ books you could just build a house out of books right? :-p

In all seriousness, having a roof over my head trumps buying a "new" book, as do other life necessities. We could tighten our "play" money and buy a bigger house if we wanted too, but as I mentioned before: my house is the perfect size for my family and our budget. It allows us the space we need and still gives us extra money to spend on entertainment, while still putting money away into savings and retirement accounts. I would rather have a small house with all my books than a large house with none or no house an nothing but books.
Journey beyond the jacket.
Jenzizcool
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Jenzizcool »

Well as much as I would love a big house (to fill with books of course!) I would have to say the 5 bookshelves! Filled with great authors and thrilling books.
smittycaitlin
Favorite Author: JK Rowling
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Titanic
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smittycaitlin.html

Post by smittycaitlin »

I would take the bookshelves. I actually enjoy sitting in a tiny room surrounded by books. It helps me focus and gives me motivation to succeed.
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

I would take more pride in owning 5 bookshelves of books, which I do, than owning a big house.

1. Books are more educational than a big house
2. 5 bookshelves are easier to clean than a big house
3. I've never wanted to own a big house
4. A big house can get boring where as books never do
5. Think of all the money I could have spent on books instead of on a mortgage of a big house!
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

Would choose books over a McMansion any day. I am quite the book buyer, but if I'm going to feel proud, it would be for the amount of them I've read over the personal reading goal I set for myself each year. Merely having the books isn't enough for me.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”