Ever Read any Books off the Shelves in a Book Store

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
j_brower
Favorite Author: Jack London
Currently Reading: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-brower.html
fav_author_id: 2993

Ever Read any Books off the Shelves in a Book Store

Post by j_brower »

Have you found yourself walking into a bookstore just to buy one book, when all of a sudden you become mesmerized by all the shelves and stacks of hundreds upon thousands of books. You see a book and you become intrigued but what you read, and a simple skim turns into thorough examination of every letter.
It happens a lot to me.
KNewton
Favorite Author: Not possible to list
Favorite Book: Not possible to list
Currently Reading: A Bone To Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knewton.html

Post by KNewton »

Oh yes! This happens often...I usually don't end up buying what I went to pick up unless it's part of a series. The last book that I ended up basically just reading in the store was Lone Survivor. I picked it up because the cover caught my eye, next thing I know I'm sitting at a table in the bookstore coffee area halfway through the book with missed calls from my husband wondering where I am.
[*]How Fear of the Unknown Hinders the Development of Informed Decisions by Dr. Seuss[*][/color]
J5Panda90
Currently Reading: Hyperbole and a Half
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by J5Panda90 »

I do a lot of skimming when I'm in a bookstore but it's only happened to me once where I picked a book off the shelf and actually sat down to read a chunk of it. It was Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt and I ended up buying the book that day.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

It wasnt exactly a bookstore, it was a large chain discount store where I worked on graveyard shift. A lot of nights I was alone in the store, I remember one night I finished my work early and was looking through some books in the book section and started reading a biography of Jackie Gleason. I just meant to skim through it, but ended up reading the whole thing.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Bighuey wrote:It wasnt exactly a bookstore, it was a large chain discount store where I worked on graveyard shift. A lot of nights I was alone in the store, I remember one night I finished my work early and was looking through some books in the book section and started reading a biography of Jackie Gleason. I just meant to skim through it, but ended up reading the whole thing.
I did that same thing when I was working third shift at a residential treatment center. The unit had a library, and I'd read the Baby-Sitters Club books, because that's what they had.
KitKat_Reader
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat-reader.html
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by KitKat_Reader »

I've never done that because I know I can't let myself go into a bookstore alone or I'll come out broke. I don't know why I do this, but sometimes I will flip through and just read a random sentence from a few different pages.
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:
Bighuey wrote:It wasnt exactly a bookstore, it was a large chain discount store where I worked on graveyard shift. A lot of nights I was alone in the store, I remember one night I finished my work early and was looking through some books in the book section and started reading a biography of Jackie Gleason. I just meant to skim through it, but ended up reading the whole thing.
I did that same thing when I was working third shift at a residential treatment center. The unit had a library, and I'd read the Baby-Sitters Club books, because that's what they had.
When I was a kid I used to read comic books in the store, usually they just kicked me out.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
SmLovesBooks12
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smlovesbooks12.html

Post by SmLovesBooks12 »

Yes!! I love/hate it because I usually don't buy it mostly because I've already bought enough.But yeah, sometimes I pick it up and read a few pages
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Bighuey wrote:
zeldas_lullaby wrote:
When I was a kid I used to read comic books in the store, usually they just kicked me out.
Sorry to hear that!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

When I do that, I end up buying the books. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
thanhnv
Currently Reading: How many letters you read per minute?
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by thanhnv »

Tôi chưa từng gặp vấn để đó tại vì trước khi đi mua hay đi làm gì tôi đều đã dự định trước ví dụ : tôi muốn mua một cuốn sách về võ thuật thì tôi không bao giờ ghé qua kệ sách về khoa học viễn tưởng
Sarah Clay
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: Lost in the Wilderness
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-clay.html
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Sarah Clay »

I tend to be in a group when I go to a bookstore, and they always drag me out after merely twenty minutes. But if I were alone, I'd probably stay until closing time and read the first thing I could grab.
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

This usually doesn't happen to me. I'll read all of the covers to see what they're about, but I think everybody does that. Sometimes I will get the urge to start reading it, but that just makes me that much more excited to bring it home and start it!
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
Charity_Rowell
Bookshelf Size: 115

Post by Charity_Rowell »

I sometimes do this if a book that I've been waiting for has been released. The last time I did this was when I had forgotten that Terry McMillan's Getting to Happy was on shelves. I went to the bookstore to browse and stumbled upon it. I was so excited that I plopped down in the middle of the aisle at Barnes and Noble and read the first chapter.
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I do this. Perhaps when I'm waiting for somebody I pick up a book and have read a big chunk before I am called off.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”