Your preferance : E-books Virtual Library VS. Real Library

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
inabook86
Currently Reading: Plausibility
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inabook86.html

Your preferance : E-books Virtual Library VS. Real Library

Post by inabook86 »

I prefer walking into a library and being hit with the smell of old, and new printed pages of books. Yet I do enjoy the compact easily located selection of books in my virtual library....And yet, nothing beats the sight of so many rows of differently aged literatures......Buuutttt..
You cant carry a library around with you... I think I prefer a real library. what is your preference and why
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

inabook86 wrote:I prefer walking into a library and being hit with the smell of old, and new printed pages of books. Yet I do enjoy the compact easily located selection of books in my virtual library....And yet, nothing beats the sight of so many rows of differently aged literatures......Buuutttt..
You cant carry a library around with you... I think I prefer a real library. what is your preference and why
inabook86, perfect job! I love the library, but the virtual library help homes and book shelves from becoming a hot mess. I can envision myself as a little old hoarder with rows of books all over the house. Imagine from floor to ceiling. Thank the book angel for electronic readers.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I prefer going to the library and picking up books that catch my eye or are highlighted by the libraraians. I have noticed that it is a lot easier to use Overdrive when I want a book right away and I don't want to go through the hassle of having to physically return a book.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I enjoy both kinds. I love going to the library, but I also enjoy browsing ebooks on Amazon.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
hwestman
Currently Reading: Lean In
Bookshelf Size: 237
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hwestman.html
Latest Review: "The Only One" by JF Holland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by hwestman »

My preference really lands on what am I reading. If I'm just reading for entertainment then my e-reader is all I want but if I'm reading something to learn, gain perspective, or reference than I want the real thing in hand. I find it easier to bookmark, make notes, and highlight on paper. I know I can do it on my reader but it takes to long...I can write way faster than I can use the touch screen to type. I love the e-reader for it compact way of carrying many books, great of travel, also doesn't broadcast to the world what I'm reading, and honestly, it's easier to share books this way. Also, the fact that I can adjust the screen to fit my eyes can be a fatigue saver. I can electronically share them with my mother in law or daughter for free rather than have to ship or wait until we see each other. So yes, as much as I love to touch and feel a real book the e-ready has become my friend.
Latest Review: "The Only One" by JF Holland
maroki13
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maroki13.html
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by maroki13 »

I much prefer going to an actual library than an e-library. I love to browse through bookshelves, look at book covers, and read physical books. I do borrow from my e-library, but not as often as I go to the regular library. I usually tend to reserve my e-book reading for when I'm traveling or away from home, since it is much easier than lugging around many pounds of books.
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
KitKat_Reader
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat-reader.html
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by KitKat_Reader »

I definitely love holding an actual book more. I love the smell of them and just the way they feel in my hands and this may seem very odd, but I love the act of turning the pages. I tried reading on my Mom's kindle and it just didn't feel quite the same as a real book. I must admit though, an e-reader is nice so that you can carry a ton of books on a trip as trying to pack a bag with multiple books is rather challenging.
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
J5Panda90
Currently Reading: Hyperbole and a Half
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by J5Panda90 »

I work in a library so obviously it's more convenient for me to use the physical library and I love being there because I always come across new and old books when people return them, especially ones I might not have found simply by walking through the stacks.

I also use the online library because I have a habit of randomly reading in the middle of the night so I can just pick my phone up and continue reading my ebooks. This helps because I'm usually reading more than one book at a time.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I don't have a preference anymore. I used to strongly prefer traditional books, but I've come to love the convenience of my Kindle and iBooks app.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
laughsnsmiles21
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laughsnsmiles21.html

Post by laughsnsmiles21 »

I prefer the feeling of having a physical book in your hands. Nothing beats the feeling of turning the pages as fast as you can because you're go engrossed in a book.
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

I prefer a real library, for a number of reasons :)

One, reading e-books tends to give me headaches if I'm reading for to long, but I can read physical books all day every day and be none the worse. Two, I love collecting books, and sometimes I can manage to get free old, damaged library books if they are being taken off the shelves. I'd never turn down a free book!

Plus, there's the whole community aspect of a physical library. You can get and give recommendations just because someone else sees you reading a book they really love. OR a librarian sees the book you've returned and asks whether you've heard of such-and-such similar author, because you might really like their work. I also find browsing to be easier in a physical library. I can just run my hand along the shelf and pull out any book that takes my fancy, you know?

Aslo, like many others have mentioned, you just can't beat the smell of old books :)
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

I had an old German professor who loved to receive books as a gift. He would especially value the book more if it was worn and well read. To him, that was a sign that the book was valued by the previous owner. I wonder how he would respond to today's E-readers – probably give a string of uncomplimentary German words and toss it away. My complaint is that should the book have a map on the inside covers, it does not show up well on my E-reader. Also, an E-book is more difficult to give someone as a gift – this is undoubtedly a great bonus for those who make money from its business, which leads to another difficulty in that the controls they place on E-books make it impossible downloading for those of us in remote areas. What I love about E-readers is the dictionary that is stored in its memory, and their compact size.
j_brower
Favorite Author: Jack London
Currently Reading: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-brower.html
fav_author_id: 2993

Post by j_brower »

I prefer going to a real library to pick up a good book, because although ereaders give you a broad variety of choices, I like to actually hold the book in my hand and not have to deal with technology for the time being.
lehm14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lehm14.html

Post by lehm14 »

I prefer real libraries, with real books. I don't think you can get the full experience with E-books like you can with real paper.
tatie_jeff
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tatie-jeff.html

Post by tatie_jeff »

Until recently I would definitely have said library, but I find it so quick and easy to read using an e-reader. I prefer the feel of being in a library but find reading easier on e-readers - I think ideally I would sit in a library (the library from Beauty and the Beast!) with my tablet!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”