Whats the longest you have gone without reading ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
desertmeanderings
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desertmeanderings.html

Re: Whats the longest you have gone without reading ?

Post by desertmeanderings »

I don't think I've ever gone a day without reading.
treybray
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by treybray »

I'm proud to say that I have a terrible habit of reading. Let me put it this way, I sometimes become very distracted from what I was doing (usually dusting, or organizing, or especially talking on the phone) I'll just glance at anything with print on it and uh oh, there goes an hour. Yup, story of my life!
sacha_arrak
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sacha-arrak.html
Reading Device: B00K2O4TI8

Post by sacha_arrak »

Reading in high school never went outside of required material. It wasn't until my second year of college that I started reading for myself.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure...but there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you...As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. -M.W.
Siriusly
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siriusly.html

Post by Siriusly »

About 4-5 months when I was preparing for exams, otherwise not much can stop me!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

The longest that I've gone without reading for pleasure was nine weeks in Army boot camp. We were only allowed to read training manuals and religious texts.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
jellybean85
Currently Reading: It's Hard to Be a Vampire
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jellybean85.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by jellybean85 »

I'd say the longest I've gone without reading is probably 3 days and that's because I was busy doing work and got distracted. I make it a priority to read everyday, although sometimes I'll get distracted and may not be in the mood to read.
GandalfTheFey

Post by GandalfTheFey »

Probably a few days? Excluding the earliest part of childhood, of course. Reading is the best! Better than movies and tv, easily. Personally :)
CaitCupcake
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitcupcake.html
Latest Review: "Kept" by L. B. Plum
Reading Device: B00KHAFI9G

Post by CaitCupcake »

The longest i have gone without reading a full novel would be about 2 years. I did however manage to read up on a few fan fictions in that time.
Latest Review: "Kept" by L. B. Plum
Bluedonutcentral
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluedonutcentral.html

Post by Bluedonutcentral »

I never really thought about it but if I had to hazard a guess I would say a week at the most.
Zander Ward

Post by Zander Ward »

I usually don't read as much when school starts but I think the longest was about 4 months.
ola dark
Favorite Author: Joe Abercrombie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6904">The Blade Itself (The First Law # 1)</a>
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-dark.html
fav_author_id: 3904

Post by ola dark »

for e it was a week , I was one of the adults responsible for a camping project for teenagers , so I spend every waking moment with them for the whole week , it was annoying not to be able to read for a whole weak
insanitystrikes
Currently Reading: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insanitystrikes.html
Latest Review: Demonslayer by Ian P. Eviston

Post by insanitystrikes »

And so because I am a law student, which started June 2015, it has been 3 months!
OMG. Three months is too long. And I wanna cry and stop reading law books and start to be inspired and be in love (haha) with the characters of Fiction Books. Anyways, I just started reading one today. I just missed it.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:
Jojowrites4All wrote:1 day on vacation. My sister removed all my books without my knowledge. I asked for directions to the nearest book store the next morning while she slept. The nearest book store was Ollie's!
That story is hilarious. What was she thinking???
Sorry for my late response Zelda. My sister just wanted to fish. She thought reading would distract me , but only I wasn't fishing. I go fishing to bait her rods and remove her catch. She is afraid of worms and fish, but she enjoys the hobby or sport of fishing.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

Probably about 2-3 months due to the fact that I was busy with school.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

In January 2011, I suffered a traumatic spinal cord injury. Surgeries, hospital, relearning to walk, etc... Anyway, for the first few months after I couldnt hold books. We didn't have any TV service a year or so before the accident, because we didn't watch it. I had to get cable installed so I didn't literally die from boredom and I forced myself to learn to hold books again.

Eventually my husband bought me a Kindle. It's lighter and I can balance it on a pillow. I'm on my fourth since the accident. Now I have the super big, extra memory, hdx thing and it's my best friend.

So TLDR it was almost five months that I couldn't read. It was the longest period since I learnt to read at the age of five that I went without reading and it was absolute torture.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. ~ Sarah Williams

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”