Whats the longest you have gone without reading ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

For me its probably about a year in my mid 20s.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A day!

A year? I wouldn't last two minutes without reading. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Hm... as a young adult, out of college, I had a hard time finding anything that I enjoyed reading among the general fiction tables at Borders.

Then one day I was driving past Borders, and the announcer on the radio mentioned a new movie, based on a book, that would enter theaters soon: Twilight.

I veered over to the bookstore and found the book. I bought it and read it and loved it.

That was how I rediscovered the YA genre!

-- 21 Jun 2015, 00:54 --

Prior to that, I read sparsely for several years, unable to find anything I enjoyed. :-(
Eyre-thee-well
Favorite Author: Kate Morton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2881">Jane Eyre</a>
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyre-thee-well.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4893

Post by Eyre-thee-well »

Reading for pleasure went out the window for a while when I was in college. I mean, I read, just very few things that I wanted to read. And anytime I tried, I always felt guilty because I knew I should be reading one of my books for class.
“I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad—as I am now."
― Charlotte Brontë,Jane Eyre
Max Tyrone
Favorite Author: William Faulkner
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading: Pastoralia
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tyrone.html
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
fav_author_id: 8089

Post by Max Tyrone »

Eyre-thee-well wrote:Reading for pleasure went out the window for a while when I was in college. I mean, I read, just very few things that I wanted to read. And anytime I tried, I always felt guilty because I knew I should be reading one of my books for class.
I know how that feels. It took me walking away from college for a bit to really appreciate the books in the curriculum. I stumbled from majoring in English to Engineering; but now I'm returning to what I believe I love, so that one day, I can introduce a novel to a whole class of English majors that don't want to read it haha. There are some good picks, but if it feels out of obligation, the meaning tapers. That's how I felt, at least.

As for the topic at hand, I practically spent a whole childhood without reading. I sparsely read, but developed an aspiration of becoming a writer. Go figure.
"No battle is ever won ... victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools."
- William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
readinggeek2015
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by readinggeek2015 »

Maybe two months an it was due to the wedding preparations
rhoerner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhoerner.html

Post by rhoerner »

The longest I have ever gone without reading for the pure enjoyment of reading was while I was in undergrad and graduate school. I had too much school work to read to read a book for the pure act of enjoyment. As soon as college was done it was weird being able to choose what I wanted to read! I lucked out at my first job and my trainer loved books too so when we weren't talking about work related stuff we were talking books!
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

A couple of days. I can't go very long without reading, even if it is a few pages here and there I need to read. While I prefer to read for long periods of time, I will take any time I can get to turn on my nook or phone's kindle app. Its hard to pull me away from reading unless its something important.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
mady_merrell
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mady-merrell.html

Post by mady_merrell »

The longest I've gone without reading was about 3 months because my phone was broken and I packed all my books away while moving.
AbbyCatWolff
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbycatwolff.html

Post by AbbyCatWolff »

Well, I went a whole semester of college of not reading for fun, but I did spend a lot of time reading text books.

It was a dark time.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

1 day on vacation. My sister removed all my books without my knowledge. I asked for directions to the nearest book store the next morning while she slept. The nearest book store was Ollie's!
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Jojowrites4All wrote:1 day on vacation. My sister removed all my books without my knowledge. I asked for directions to the nearest book store the next morning while she slept. The nearest book store was Ollie's!
That story is hilarious. What was she thinking???
BloodViolet Fiend
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bloodviolet-fiend.html

Post by BloodViolet Fiend »

as a young adult in college, the longest i have gone without reading(for pleasure, not school related) is a couple weeks(2-3). Sometimes i just get so sick of reading and cant stand it, but ill be right back at it after a nice break. Coming back to reading after the break is great! its like i found a new hobby i never had before
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

gali wrote:A day!

A year? I wouldn't last two minutes without reading. 8)
Yeah it was during a time were i for some reason just did not feel like reading.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
msaravan
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msaravan.html

Post by msaravan »

I would have to say a couple of months, It was when my son was born, I just couldnt take away my eyes from him...

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”