Do you prefer Indie Authors or well established Authors?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Re: Do you prefer Indie Authors or well established Authors?

Post by literarycat »

Jojowrites4All wrote:I have no preference of authors. I only care about well written / developed books.
I completely agree as long as the book is well written and develops nicely then I will read it. My shelves have a nice combination of both types, I don't really think of them as separate categories. To me an author is an author, everyone starts somewhere.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

I don't consciously pick one way or the other. If I find an author I like I will check if they wrote more books. Indie authors are a lot more accessible now, so I read more of them than I used to. This is especially true since indie authors are most of the ones that are putting out free kindle books usually to entice you into buying the next books. :mrgreen:
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I like to read both. I like to be able to grow with an author that is just starting out, but I also like to be able to read a bunch of books in a row of an already established author. As long as they're well written and have a great plot line, I'm game!
morgan7205
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan7205.html

Post by morgan7205 »

I don't have a preference. All that matters to me is that the book keeps my interest.
Leighlu

Post by Leighlu »

Agree. Only care about well written good books
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I have no preference at all. If it seems interesting I'll read it. To be perfectly honest I rarely take note of who the author is in a book so I couldn't pick a read based on that even if I wanted to.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I really do not care if the book I read is from an Indie author or well established author. As long as the book is good, I will read it!
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

To be quite honest, I don't even pay attention to who the authors are when in reading a book. It doesn't matter to me who the author is. All that matters is the story and how well it is written.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

In the past I have almost solely read well established authors, but have had the opportunity recently to sample a bit more Indie work. I think this is a direct consequence of dabbling with reviews here on OBC, but I'm happy that I'm expanding my horizons a little bit.
jayanne

Post by jayanne »

I preferred indie authors , you know I love some books or movie that had a more complicated stories
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I like both and with the Kindle Unlimited subscription, I get to read a lot of newer authors and post reviews for them on Amazon. That really helps them, so if I like their work, I give them a good review! I have found some really great books and authors this way!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I like both. Ever since I started reviewing I have read a bunch of Indie authors I have a newfound respect for them but I also love well established authors. For instance, I already pre-ordered John Green's next book, Turtles All the Way Down. But I also love finding new Indie authors as well!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”