Reading on Planes

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
kstockard
Currently Reading: The World at Night
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kstockard.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Reading on Planes

Post by kstockard »

Reading and traveling are two of my favorite things. I always make sure I bring a book with me to the airport to read while waiting and while on the plane. I find immersing myself in a good book helps distract from the awful conditions of busy airports and crowded airplanes. My family, however, refuses to read on the plane, even my mother who loves to read. Instead, everyone I know would rather sleep on the plane instead of reading. I happen to find this quite peculiar and I wonder why they do this.

Do you read on airplanes? Why, or why not? If you do read on planes, what is your favorite reading method? Paper, or e-reader?
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I rarely take planes, but I don't read unless I'm alone at home. I can't unwind anywhere else enough to read--doctor's office, visiting family, passenger in a car, etc. My mind won't relax enough for it to happen. So if I were on a plane, I'd pack books (paperbacks, by the way), but I seriously doubt they'd get read.
Artiste8
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Artiste8 »

I read on planes, it helps pass the time. I can't sleep on a plane. I don't watch much TV at home so I don't watch it on a plane either. Last time I almost finished a book on a 6 hour flight.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I didn't fly lately, but I have no problems reading on them and usually take paper books with me.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

I love reading on planes. Generally I am flying to a vacation, so I am too excited to sleep. Funnily enough, I get severe carsickness and can hardly do ANYTHING in a car except drive. However, reading on planes has never made me motion sick.

But reading passes the time of a long flight. There is usually not much else to do.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
kstockard
Currently Reading: The World at Night
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kstockard.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by kstockard »

Thanks for all the insight. I agree, reading will make flights go by quicker and when on the way to vacation reading is a good way to start relaxing.

The biggest reason I read on planes is to relax, especially with all of the people. I usually fly with my younger brother and I find reading helps me ignore his antics (sorry, kid) and those of the people around us.
KitKat_Reader
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat-reader.html
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by KitKat_Reader »

I can 'sleep' on a plane, but it only ever end up being short naps or nap depending on now long the flight is. When I did travel more it was while I was in school and therefore didn't have as much time to read at home, so when we went on vacation the plane ended up being my place to read. I've been out of high school for two years now and while I have a lot more time to read the few times I have gone on a plane I still find myself reading a lot (flying from Oregon to Germany gives you plenty of time to get plenty of things done :wink: )
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
pwichner
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pwichner.html

Post by pwichner »

I love reading on planes- it's always a great excuse to get a new book and devour as much as possible in one sitting. The motion of the plane will make me sleepy, so I will usually shift back and forth, depending on the length of the flight. I used to travel for work and got to read a lot during that time.
GreenBookworm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenbookworm.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Post by GreenBookworm »

With having a book the travelling feels less long and boring for me. I always read on a plane and generally meantime travelling.
Meg0169
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg0169.html
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler

Post by Meg0169 »

I try to read where ever I go, waiting rooms, planes, etc., but I do not always get that pleasure. I would say 9 times out of 10 someone sees me reading but still tries to talk to me. I don't know what more I could do to say "see this book? This means leave me alone. Go away", but they apparently do not get that.

I am not trying to be rude, but sometimes reading in a waiting room or a plane is the only time I have to read and I would rather get some reading done than talk to a stranger. I am not antisocial, I swear. And the people that want to talk to me always talk to me about something I care nothing about or have no interest in. It even happens when I have headphones in and a book out. Go away people. Let me read!
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler
Artiste8
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Artiste8 »

Meg0169 wrote:I try to read where ever I go, waiting rooms, planes, etc., but I do not always get that pleasure. I would say 9 times out of 10 someone sees me reading but still tries to talk to me. I don't know what more I could do to say "see this book? This means leave me alone. Go away", but they apparently do not get that.

I am not trying to be rude, but sometimes reading in a waiting room or a plane is the only time I have to read and I would rather get some reading done than talk to a stranger. I am not antisocial, I swear. And the people that want to talk to me always talk to me about something I care nothing about or have no interest in. It even happens when I have headphones in and a book out. Go away people. Let me read!
I know what you mean, the same thing happens to me. They think if I am reading, that it means they have to save me from my book.
hdunham
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hdunham »

RT
I have flown out of the country and sometimes the flight lasts over 20 hours. So I definitely read on airplanes. I have to admit, I am old school and probably always will be; I read paperback only, no matter where I go. E-books make me sleepy.
Joeobrien1

Post by Joeobrien1 »

In my early career I used to fly a lot. I would sleep for most of the flight and usually get shaken awake when the plane started its descent. For the last twenty years I have flown infrequently but have not been able to sleep. Maybe it is because I was packed in with a multitude of people like a can sardines. I have found that a book lets me escape the crush and sit in the seat with an overweight character on each side.
Flying is no longer fun but reading makes it tolerable.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

It all depends on the flight for me. I will ABSOLUTELY always have a book with me on a flight and really, really want to plow through it. Unfortunately, many of the flights that I take are "red-eye" flights and hard as I try I can't keep my eyes open. Daytime flights see me reading almost all the way, or alternating between reading and the in-flight entertainment.
bookfre

Post by bookfre »

I love traveling but i can't go out of my town

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”