Reading with family

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Reading with family

Post by Levi »

HomeworkHelp wrote:Good Stuff
I agree homeworkhelp, I really love this post!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
missbookworm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by missbookworm »

That's really, cool, and I'm glad you got to spend a good amount of time with them before they passed.

My mom inspired me to read. She would read to me when I was little, and she's always reading something. She's more of a true crime reader, though she reads biographies and autobiographies of people she really likes. I'm more of a fiction reader, though I've read a true crime book I was into, and some autobiographies. Even though we don't read the same books, she definitely modeled reading, and raised me as a reader.
amandacwestbrook
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandacwestbrook.html

Post by amandacwestbrook »

I was encouraged from an early age to read whatever and whenever I could. When I was first starting off reading by myself, I would grab anyone in the family who would listen to me read. Usually my grandpa was the closest.
Before bedtime, even if I had spent the whole day reading, I would have my dad come in and read me a bedtime story.
As I got older, I would still require a bedtime story, but this time with larger books. We would switch off night to night, I'd read a chapter, next night, he would read a chapter.
I eventually got a little "too old" for that, but even now, it has set such an important bonding experience between my dad and I. I have no doubt in my mind that I will establish such a tradition with my future family, as well.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Yeah, my mom. I don't remember exactly how old I was (maybe 9 or 10) when my mother took me to the local library to get a library card. In high school I kinda stopped reading when I kinda became one of the "cool kids". But I'm back to reading now, and I'm never going to stop.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
jrs31
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by jrs31 »

That's awesome that you got to spend time with them before they passed. I have two little boys that I read to about 4-5 nights a week. The oldest has just started reading so he has been reading to me and his little brother. I have always liked to read but I was an only child so I didn't have any other siblings to play with so I believe that's why I turned to reading.
LiteraryMagic
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarymagic.html
Latest Review: "Gender Bias in Mystery and Romance Novel Publishing" by Anna Faktorovich

Post by LiteraryMagic »

My parents both worked full-time when I was younger, so to appease me when my mom or dad had to bring me to work (they couldn't afford a babysitter), they (and especially my mom) taught me to read. It was just a fun way to learn and escape and become something more than who I am. I understand now (from my parents as well) that the whole point of reading is not escaping who you are, but learning about the human nature, and what it really is to be human. Every time I read now, I understand more and more just how true that is.
Latest Review: "Gender Bias in Mystery and Romance Novel Publishing" by Anna Faktorovich
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

LiteraryMagic wrote:My parents both worked full-time when I was younger, so to appease me when my mom or dad had to bring me to work (they couldn't afford a babysitter), they (and especially my mom) taught me to read. It was just a fun way to learn and escape and become something more than who I am. I understand now (from my parents as well) that the whole point of reading is not escaping who you are, but learning about the human nature, and what it really is to be human. Every time I read now, I understand more and more just how true that is.
Wow, that's beautiful. I agree. Also, I used to go to work with my parents, too. I'd take books and VHS cassettes, and they'd set me up in the video conference room. Then my mom would walk me over to Wendy's for lunch and give me change once a day for a vending machine snack. Thanks for the memories!
Levi

Post by Levi »

missbookworm wrote:That's really, cool, and I'm glad you got to spend a good amount of time with them before they passed.

My mom inspired me to read. She would read to me when I was little, and she's always reading something. She's more of a true crime reader, though she reads biographies and autobiographies of people she really likes. I'm more of a fiction reader, though I've read a true crime book I was into, and some autobiographies. Even though we don't read the same books, she definitely modeled reading, and raised me as a reader.
Thank you missbookworm, it was really worth all the weekends I spent and I wouldn't trade it for anything seeing their faces light up each time I would arrive. I'm glad that you had a great mom who inspired you to read. We're all very lucky.

-- 01 Jul 2015, 20:53 --
amandacwestbrook wrote:I was encouraged from an early age to read whatever and whenever I could. When I was first starting off reading by myself, I would grab anyone in the family who would listen to me read. Usually my grandpa was the closest.
Before bedtime, even if I had spent the whole day reading, I would have my dad come in and read me a bedtime story.
As I got older, I would still require a bedtime story, but this time with larger books. We would switch off night to night, I'd read a chapter, next night, he would read a chapter.
I eventually got a little "too old" for that, but even now, it has set such an important bonding experience between my dad and I. I have no doubt in my mind that I will establish such a tradition with my future family, as well.
This is fantastic amandacwestbrook. I love your voracious appetite :) Read till your eyes hurt and then make them read to you. Awesome. I really like the chapter trading idea and will use it if I ever get the chance.

-- 01 Jul 2015, 20:54 --
Leon Durham wrote:Yeah, my mom. I don't remember exactly how old I was (maybe 9 or 10) when my mother took me to the local library to get a library card. In high school I kinda stopped reading when I kinda became one of the "cool kids". But I'm back to reading now, and I'm never going to stop.
I'm right there with you Leon, I have read off and on but I'm back and all in now. It's good to be back!!

-- 01 Jul 2015, 20:55 --
jrs31 wrote:That's awesome that you got to spend time with them before they passed. I have two little boys that I read to about 4-5 nights a week. The oldest has just started reading so he has been reading to me and his little brother. I have always liked to read but I was an only child so I didn't have any other siblings to play with so I believe that's why I turned to reading.
Thank you jrs, again it was time well spent. I love that your kids are reading to you and each other. Good job!

-- 01 Jul 2015, 20:57 --
LiteraryMagic wrote:My parents both worked full-time when I was younger, so to appease me when my mom or dad had to bring me to work (they couldn't afford a babysitter), they (and especially my mom) taught me to read. It was just a fun way to learn and escape and become something more than who I am. I understand now (from my parents as well) that the whole point of reading is not escaping who you are, but learning about the human nature, and what it really is to be human. Every time I read now, I understand more and more just how true that is.
So true, it can be an escape, but it is so much more. I'm glad that the transcendence of escape did not escape you ;)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
J5Panda90
Currently Reading: Hyperbole and a Half
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by J5Panda90 »

I'm a big reader and my mom used to read a lot when I was younger but for the past few years she's been too busy to read. I found a way for us to enjoy books together though. For the past year, I've really gotten into listening to audiobooks while I'm in the car and I got my mom into them as well. Her commute is about 2 hours a day plus her job allows her to listen to them while she's working so she flies through them now. We both love Stephen King and I introduced her to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series which she loves. It's great to finally have someone that I can talk to about books again at home :)
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

My mom and dad were avid readers. My dad read mostly westerns, Max Brand, William McLeod Raine and so on. My mom read just about everything. Every two weeks we would all go to the local library and load up on books. I remember reading all the OZ books, Freddy The Pig books, books about dinosuurs and Tarzan books and many, many, more that I dont remember. I dont remember my grandparents reading much except magazines and farm publications.

After I was married my wife and I read constantly, we belonged to a couple book clubs and had a houseful of books. Strangely, my two boys were never much into reading. My daughter made up for it. To this day she has boxes full of books mostly those mush books I call them. Harlequin, that sort of thing.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Levi

Post by Levi »

J5Panda90 wrote:I'm a big reader and my mom used to read a lot when I was younger but for the past few years she's been too busy to read. I found a way for us to enjoy books together though. For the past year, I've really gotten into listening to audiobooks while I'm in the car and I got my mom into them as well. Her commute is about 2 hours a day plus her job allows her to listen to them while she's working so she flies through them now. We both love Stephen King and I introduced her to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series which she loves. It's great to finally have someone that I can talk to about books again at home :)
Good job way to help your mom get back into reading, what a fitting tribute to the woman who first got you into reading. Audio books are an amazing way to stay in the game for those who are short on time. Whenever my grandpa used to take us on trips he would either make us listen to old country music or audio books and we loved those trips.

-- 02 Jul 2015, 21:50 --
Bighuey wrote:My mom and dad were avid readers. My dad read mostly westerns, Max Brand, William McLeod Raine and so on. My mom read just about everything. Every two weeks we would all go to the local library and load up on books. I remember reading all the OZ books, Freddy The Pig books, books about dinosuurs and Tarzan books and many, many, more that I dont remember. I dont remember my grandparents reading much except magazines and farm publications.

After I was married my wife and I read constantly, we belonged to a couple book clubs and had a houseful of books. Strangely, my two boys were never much into reading. My daughter made up for it. To this day she has boxes full of books mostly those mush books I call them. Harlequin, that sort of thing.
I love westerns I will have to check out those authors, I too remember reading a lot of books that I don't remember. I would check them out from the library in grade school.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

If you like westerns you might also check out Zane Grey, Louis LaAmour, or for true stories about the life of a cowboy you might like Andy Adams books. He was a real-life cowpuncher.

Even Clarence E. Mulford's Hopalong Cassidy books are entertaining, a lot different than the movies.

I just remembered one book that really impressed me when I was about 12 or so. It was Hold That Tiger by Mabel Stark. It was an autobiography about one of the first if not the first female wild animal trainers. I think I checked it out several times, it was quite gripping as I remember.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Levi

Post by Levi »

Bighuey wrote:If you like westerns you might also check out Zane Grey, Louis LaAmour, or for true stories about the life of a cowboy you might like Andy Adams books. He was a real-life cowpuncher.

Even Clarence E. Mulford's Hopalong Cassidy books are entertaining, a lot different than the movies.

I just remembered one book that really impressed me when I was about 12 or so. It was Hold That Tiger by Mabel Stark. It was an autobiography about one of the first if not the first female wild animal trainers. I think I checked it out several times, it was quite gripping as I remember.
I have read almost everything by Louis L'Amour, but I'm not sure if I ever read any Zane Grey. The Hopalong books are on my list for sure though. Just read a great one by a new western author, Jeff Guinn, called Glorious. It was a great read.
Mrs Rae
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrs-rae.html

Post by Mrs Rae »

Growing up, my dad always took time to read what I was interested in. He tells this story of reading Ella Enchanted on his lunch break at work, and one of his coworkers couldn't understand why he was reading a book for little girls. My dad explained that if that's what I was into, of course he would read it, and give us some common ground. I think it got a little harder for him to read along when I started getting into horror stories, but he persevered.
My mom likes to read romance novels, so she and I are always recommending new romances to each other. About half the romances I read, though, are a little to "adult" for me to feel comfortable sharing with my mom!
At home, I read out loud to my husband (currently the Techno-Shaman series by Olivia Lawson), and my seven-year-old daughter (Harry Potter). I also make her read out loud to me, not only to make sure she's not skipping the hard words, but also because it's impossible for her to read without commentary, and I like to hear what's going through her mind.
I feel really lucky that my dad sparked my love of reading, and that my daughter enjoys it too.
Levi

Post by Levi »

Mrs Rae wrote:Growing up, my dad always took time to read what I was interested in. He tells this story of reading Ella Enchanted on his lunch break at work, and one of his coworkers couldn't understand why he was reading a book for little girls. My dad explained that if that's what I was into, of course he would read it, and give us some common ground. I think it got a little harder for him to read along when I started getting into horror stories, but he persevered.
My mom likes to read romance novels, so she and I are always recommending new romances to each other. About half the romances I read, though, are a little to "adult" for me to feel comfortable sharing with my mom!
At home, I read out loud to my husband (currently the Techno-Shaman series by Olivia Lawson), and my seven-year-old daughter (Harry Potter). I also make her read out loud to me, not only to make sure she's not skipping the hard words, but also because it's impossible for her to read without commentary, and I like to hear what's going through her mind.
I feel really lucky that my dad sparked my love of reading, and that my daughter enjoys it too.

Well, Mrs Rae, your dad is a real man then, you're lucky to have had him. Real men live fully, love completely, and never conform to anyone's misguided standards of manhood. Ha ha I'm glad you keep the juiciest and most salacious books you read from your mom, that could get a little strange :) it's beautiful really, reading to your family and having them read to you. Utterly beautiful (or udderly beautiful if you're a bovine reader, sorry I can't help myself ;) I especially like the comment about your daughter's commentary. How interesting to hear those thoughts we have while reading or watching something. You would enjoy watching t.v. With me if you like commentary ha ha

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”