Reading with family

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
pinkings1
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinkings1.html

Re: Reading with family

Post by pinkings1 »

No. I was born to read! :D
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

pinkings1 wrote:No. I was born to read! :D
Oh snap a comedian :) ..........or comedienne
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
mlucius224
Currently Reading: Beautiful Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlucius224.html

Post by mlucius224 »

My mom was an English teacher and is an avid reader. When I was a kid she would read to us all of the time, and as we got older she would take us to the library in the summer. My siblings didn't get into reading right away, but I would check out 10 books at a time and would be going back two weeks later for more. Now I teach English and can't help but continue to buy books and enjoy the excitement in my students when some of them discover they actually like reading! I have even been able to share the love of reading with my husband who is also now an avid reader, the only one in his family. Reading is a past-time we both how to pass on to our son and any other children we may have.
Levi

Post by Levi »

mlucius224 wrote:My mom was an English teacher and is an avid reader. When I was a kid she would read to us all of the time, and as we got older she would take us to the library in the summer. My siblings didn't get into reading right away, but I would check out 10 books at a time and would be going back two weeks later for more. Now I teach English and can't help but continue to buy books and enjoy the excitement in my students when some of them discover they actually like reading! I have even been able to share the love of reading with my husband who is also now an avid reader, the only one in his family. Reading is a past-time we both how to pass on to our son and any other children we may have.
Mmmmmm libraries....and bookstores (said daydreamily) when I was a small child I think I only read animal books: White Fang, Call of the Wild, Black Beauty, Flicka, Charlotte's Web...
Then around fourth grade I transitioned to hefty tomes of horror thanks to a disturbed cousin :lol: At that time I was reading books such as The Stand by Stephen King and just devoured them. (We were kids, we had nothing but time and often would read all day) Since high school I have only read sporadically until last year when I regained my insatiable thirst for reading and knowledge and kick myself for having left the world of imagination for so long. Kudos to you, O Great One of Language and Punctuation, for pursuing such a noble path (for those to whom it is a calling and not merely a job) and for inspiring others to love reading, be they family or students. That's fantastical!!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Eyre-thee-well
Favorite Author: Kate Morton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2881">Jane Eyre</a>
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyre-thee-well.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4893

Post by Eyre-thee-well »

Reading The Stand in grammar school? Whew! I bet your nightmares could have been optioned for movies.
And I would venture a guess that libraries and bookstores are both havens and downfalls for us all. I will sometimes tell my husband on a 'quick' library stop that I will only be a few minutes. Well, everyone here knows how that turns out. Or at a bookstore--' I won't buy very much'. Isn't it common knowledge that addicts lie?
“I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad—as I am now."
― Charlotte Brontë,Jane Eyre
Levi

Post by Levi »

Eyre-thee-well wrote:Reading The Stand in grammar school? Whew! I bet your nightmares could have been optioned for movies.
And I would venture a guess that libraries and bookstores are both havens and downfalls for us all. I will sometimes tell my husband on a 'quick' library stop that I will only be a few minutes. Well, everyone here knows how that turns out. Or at a bookstore--' I won't buy very much'. Isn't it common knowledge that addicts lie?
Haha haha Eyre, earlier in another post I relayed the story about how when I read the Shining back then, I couldn't go the the bathroom for a month until someone opened the shower curtain because of the part where he is kissing the lady and then she deteriorates into well.. Ya know.
krood10
Currently Reading: gray wolf throne
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krood10.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by krood10 »

My mom inspired me to read. On long car trips she would read The Little House on the Prairie series. At night, she read me Anne of Green Gables and Little Women, even though they were above my reading level. She would take the time to drive us to the library when we wanted to go and was patient when I wanted to spend hours there. She was also the one that first suggested we go see Harry Potter in theaters. That opened the gateway to a lifelong love of that series.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Levi

Post by Levi »

krood10 wrote:My mom inspired me to read. On long car trips she would read The Little House on the Prairie series. At night, she read me Anne of Green Gables and Little Women, even though they were above my reading level. She would take the time to drive us to the library when we wanted to go and was patient when I wanted to spend hours there. She was also the one that first suggested we go see Harry Potter in theaters. That opened the gateway to a lifelong love of that series.
What a great mother Krood10, I am convinced that reading levels above where you are is highly advantageous as your mind is like a muscle, it only grows when you stretch it and push it further than it's been before.
godsgirlarc
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godsgirlarc.html

Post by godsgirlarc »

My mom loves to read and taught me to love reading at a very early age. As a baby, I would sit and look at board books for hours. I remember my mom reading me books like "Goodnight Moon" and "Guess How Much I Love You" before I went to sleep. I started reading at age 4 and have loved it ever since!
Levi

Post by Levi »

godsgirlarc wrote:My mom loves to read and taught me to love reading at a very early age. As a baby, I would sit and look at board books for hours. I remember my mom reading me books like "Goodnight Moon" and "Guess How Much I Love You" before I went to sleep. I started reading at age 4 and have loved it ever since!
What a great mom, and keep it up godsgirlarc!!
Tinkrbellt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tinkrbellt »

When I was growing up I learned to read because my mom made sure that we had new books to read and would let us pick out whatever we wanted from the book club at school and from the book fairs our school put on. I remember always being a reader and some of my favorite past times growing up were listening to our librarian at school read out loud for us from a picture book or scowling the shelves searching for a new book. Books allowed me to escape my problems and get to be someone else for awhile.
Levi

Post by Levi »

Tinkrbellt wrote:When I was growing up I learned to read because my mom made sure that we had new books to read and would let us pick out whatever we wanted from the book club at school and from the book fairs our school put on. I remember always being a reader and some of my favorite past times growing up were listening to our librarian at school read out loud for us from a picture book or scowling the shelves searching for a new book. Books allowed me to escape my problems and get to be someone else for awhile.
Beautiful Tinkrbellt, keep reading and learning and scouring those shelves for knowledge.
Cher+Pot
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: The Hollow
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cher-pot.html
Latest Review: ""Tiekiedraai" in 31 days" by Roelof Beukes
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Cher+Pot »

My mom was the one who introduced me to reading and all the wonderful characters and worlds that goes along with it. She used to take us to the library, making such a big deal about it...as if we were going to the Olympics. She let us loose on all the children's books so that we could pick out the ones we wanted. It was magical! To this day I still have this burning desire to read and my mum was the spark to that flame. I will always be thankful to her for that.
Latest Review: ""Tiekiedraai" in 31 days" by Roelof Beukes
Levi

Post by Levi »

Cher+Pot wrote:My mom was the one who introduced me to reading and all the wonderful characters and worlds that goes along with it. She used to take us to the library, making such a big deal about it...as if we were going to the Olympics. She let us loose on all the children's books so that we could pick out the ones we wanted. It was magical! To this day I still have this burning desire to read and my mum was the spark to that flame. I will always be thankful to her for that.
The book Olympics, I love it. Such enthusiasm.
HomeworkHelp
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by HomeworkHelp »

Good Stuff

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”