Do you rate/review books you didn't finish?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Sarah Clay
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: Lost in the Wilderness
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-clay.html
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
fav_author_id: 2384

Re: Do you rate/review books you didn't finish?

Post by Sarah Clay »

No; I would feel incredibly guilty if I did. If I'm going to review the book, I should at least make it through.
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
kbasoff
Currently Reading: The Ginger Man
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbasoff.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by kbasoff »

yes, i can not possibly get the theme of the book & texture without reading it. I know some just quickly scan.
i am a rather fast reader.
elegance51
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elegance51 »

It is fairly simple to understand that reviewing a book is to let the author know the weak/good points of his/her book. So, it's rather absurd to review without even reading the book entirely. If the book was that bad, then I would write a negative comment along with the Did-Not-Finish note. I mean, how would the author feel about the review!? They wouldn't even have an opportunity/guideline to improve their book! That sounds evil! :?
kaylabugxo
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylabugxo.html

Post by kaylabugxo »

Yes, if I don't finish a book I always write a review saying why I did not finish the book.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Reviews serve two purposes.
To help the author improve is one...but not the main one.
To give readers an idea of what they'll be getting if they read the book...that's the one that's more common.

I probably would never write out a long review for a book I didn't even find worth the time to read, but I would write out a few lines of why I found it so displeasing that I had to stop reading it.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Btkgarrity
Currently Reading: The Sky is Everywhere
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-btkgarrity.html

Post by Btkgarrity »

Rate them after you read them. The book could be your favorite ever. Your reading style is different from others. It is unfair to do that because you are just making an assumption.
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by kitsune1997 »

No. I feel it is unfair to the author who tried hard to write it to rate it without reading it through. but i might review it with the reasons i didnt manage to finish it in order to help the author but i have never rated a book i havent finished reading
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
Layla_20_20
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-layla-20-20.html

Post by Layla_20_20 »

I think that is one way to handle that might be difficult to read straight through. I suppose if you were doing paid review then you the reviewer could mention the reason why you did not finish the book because constructive criticism like this can help the author extensively.
keisha_jc
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keisha-jc.html
Latest Review: "Step One:Killing Hitler" by William Dean Hamilton

Post by keisha_jc »

I do not think that it is completely fair for people to rate books that they have not finished. Therefore, I will not write anything opinionated about a work that I haven't made it all of the way through and have a final opinion on.
Latest Review: "Step One:Killing Hitler" by William Dean Hamilton
cdnollett
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdnollett.html
Latest Review: "Chasing Payne" by Chantel Seabrook

Post by cdnollett »

I don't think I could ever review a book without finishing it. I can't even stop reading a book before finishing. What if I hate the beginning of the book, but there's a huge twist that redeems the storyline? I feel like you can't give a review of the book without knowing the whole story.
Latest Review: "Chasing Payne" by Chantel Seabrook
erinlaine322
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erinlaine322.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by erinlaine322 »

It depends on the book honestly. If I felt the book was honestly bad, then I will review it. However, if I just couldn't get into the book or it just wasn't my cup of tea then I most likely will not leave a bad review.
Annie_atal9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annie-atal9.html

Post by Annie_atal9 »

Never... It feels like cheating other readers.. I mean wat if the starting chapters are so intriguing on a level that u almost jump up and down to recommend it to others :shock: and just whn u read the climax or the epilogue, u feel like jumping off a cliff..& vice-versa :twisted:!!
Providing ratings/ reviewing/ recommending a book just on the basis of a few chApters seem abso-freaking-lutely absurd :roll: .. And honestly, it's a touchy topic for me, books are my first love :geek: ! And sm1 did recommend me a book this way... :roll: That book promised a lot of passion in the first chapters but it's ending was so unexpected and abrupt that it made me want to poke myself in the eye. :oops: ..! I wanted to kick that person whn she told me that she hadn't read the book completely yet! Wat kind of a doofus does that? :evil: I kind of vowed to myself that evening, that I wud never betray sm1 like that, ever!! :hand:
Anuradha Verma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anuradha-verma.html

Post by Anuradha Verma »

No, that would be unfair to the author, I believe.
Royal Bibliophile
Currently Reading: Falling Kingdoms
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-royal-bibliophile.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Royal Bibliophile »

I refuse to rate or review a book i haven't finished.I feel like the review would be unfair otherwise, there could have been a magical moment at the end that changes everything, and if the book remains unfinished then you'd never know.
MadelynNicole
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4">Ender's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madelynnicole.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MadelynNicole »

If it came up in person, I would say how I felt about the section of book I read, but I wouldn't ever actually post a review to a book that I did not finish. Even if I hated the first half, I don't think it would be fair to the author or potential readers to post a review for something that I have not fully experienced.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”